Has anyone here fired brown earthenware clay and

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Has anyone here fired brown earthenware clay and

Post by Jersey Girl »

glazed it? If so, would you tell me what glaze you used and if you fired the glaze on greenware or already fired earthenware clay? Is it called greenware as it is when pouring ceramic slip if you are using earthenware clay?

There's something I want to make and am going to a place on Tuesday to find out. I couldn't wait so am asking here in the hopes I'll hear from someone who has experience with it.

I won't be making it right away unless I can't fend off the urge to do so. Probably sometime later this month.

Thanks!

ETA: I have a photo of something similar to what I want to produce if that helps anything.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
huckelberry
God

Re: Has anyone here fired brown earthenware clay and

Post by huckelberry »

Normal procedure is to fire the greenware item to a temperature lower than required for the glaze.It burns water and other impurities out of the clay. glazing the greenware and firing once risks harmng the glaze.

There many varieties of glaze. Composition needs to fit the clay composition else a risk exists the glaze and clay will cool to different sizes breaking the item.

Type of glaze would vary with what sort of fire (temperature) you have to deal with.(not to mention all the variety of what you would hope the glaze would look like)
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

huckelberry wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:55 pm
Normal procedure is to fire the greenware item to a temperature lower than required for the glaze.It burns water and other impurities out of the clay. glazing the greenware and firing once risks harmng the glaze.

There many varieties of glaze. Composition needs to fit the clay composition else a risk exists the glaze and clay will cool to different sizes breaking the item.

Type of glaze would vary with what sort of fire (temperature) you have to deal with.(not to mention all the variety of what you would hope the glaze would look like)
Hi huck!

I can't believe anyone replied! :) In the past I've only worked with common slip used to pour molds for ceramics...planters, cups, whatever. If I recall correctly there were two processes. Glazes that required only one firing and then a two step process that used under glaze that fired once to which you added a glaze on top of that and fired again. It's been a very long time since I did that so I could be misremembering.

I'll know on Tuesday if I've got some help with earthenware and what if any firing charges there are. I'll bring my example with me and see what they have to say. I haven't been there in decades but there is a ceramics/pottery shop on one of the bases and I am sure someone would know something about how to produce what I want.

Do you know about earthenware clay? Have you used it yourself?

I've been looking at a website called "Dick Blick Art" that has all kinds of clay and such. Ever heard of that?
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:05 am
Hi huck!

I can't believe anyone replied! :) In the past I've only worked with common slip used to pour molds for ceramics...planters, cups, whatever. If I recall correctly there were two processes. Glazes that required only one firing and then a two step process that used under glaze that fired once to which you added a glaze on top of that and fired again. It's been a very long time since I did that so I could be misremembering.

I'll know on Tuesday if I've got some help with earthenware and what if any firing charges there are. I'll bring my example with me and see what they have to say. I haven't been there in decades but there is a ceramics/pottery shop on one of the bases and I am sure someone would know something about how to produce what I want.

Do you know about earthenware clay? Have you used it yourself?

I've been looking at a website called "Dick Blick Art" that has all kinds of clay and such. Ever heard of that?
Dick Blick is a generally trustworthy source of art supplies.

Many years ago I spent a spell(several years) in an infatuated love affair with clay and fire.

Clay compostions can vary with source location, (dug out ground in such and such a location) blends and admixtures to adjust characteristics. The difference between earthenware and stoneware is primarily temperature it is fired to but it is possible to adjust clay composition to lower needed firing temperature.

I have very limited experience with slip and molds. It was a potters wheel which was a necessary part of the irrational love affair for me.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

huckelberry wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:24 am
Slight derail.

Dick Blick is dangerous to ones wallet. Receiving their catalog years ago was the closest thing I've experienced as an adult that compared to the joy of browsing the JC Penney and Sears Christmas catalogs as a kid. Dick Blick has an outlet store in the area near ASU that I visit now and again.

I seem to recall they had programs for teachers to receive discounts?
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

honorentheos wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:49 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:24 am
Slight derail.

Dick Blick is dangerous to ones wallet. Receiving their catalog years ago was the closest thing I've experienced as an adult that compared to the joy of browsing the JC Penney and Sears Christmas catalogs as a kid. Dick Blick has an outlet store in the area near ASU that I visit now and again.

I seem to recall they had programs for teachers to receive discounts?
Slight derail to the slight derail. :lol:

I was looking at the Dick Blick website (also videos) to sort out what products to use for my intended projects. I have full access to a studio that will supply me with what I need. I have no idea what suppliers they source from.

I'll be going there tomorrow to see if my plans are possible! Yay! :)

Slava Ukraini!
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:51 pm

I was looking at the Dick Blick website (also videos) to sort out what products to use for my intended projects. I have full access to a studio that will supply me with what I need. I have no idea what suppliers they source from.

Jersey Girl, have fun, information you are wondering about should be available at the studio. What available glazes do what should be information there. Just as a general question there are many kinds of glazes. Ones with bright colors are lower fired and can be applied as a second glaze. There are a variety of possible combinations or one can stick with simpler.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

huckelberry wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:24 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:51 pm

Jersey Girl, have fun, information you are wondering about should be available at the studio. What available glazes do what should be information there. Just as a general question there are many kinds of glazes. Ones with bright colors are lower fired and can be applied as a second glaze. There are a variety of possible combinations or one can stick with simpler.
I'm going to bring two samples of the type of technique I want to produce. I won't make a carbon copy but will use the same technique if I can find out what it is. It looks pretty straight forward. I'll have a month to get these done before the show I'm in. :)

If I can't make it work in that period of time I'll spend winter learning and improving the process.

Slava Ukraini!
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Jersey, the ceramics center you’re going to will either have clay or tell you where you can get it locally. Never buy clay from Blicks, if you can help it. In my experience, Blicks is way too expensive, with too small of a choice.

Earthenware fires at relatively low temperatures, so you’ll be able to use some bright glazes that won’t fade, if you can get room in the kiln. I’m looking forward to seeing your finished work.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Morley wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:40 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Jersey, the ceramics center you’re going to will either have clay or tell you where you can get it locally. Never buy clay from Blicks, if you can help it. In my experience, Blicks is way too expensive, with too small of a choice.

Earthenware fires at relatively low temperatures, so you’ll be able to use some bright glazes that won’t fade, if you can get room in the kiln. I’m looking forward to seeing your finished work.
So Morely, I'm in an association of artisans and crafters. Rejoined after several years of not being a member. Sold last year and it was fun to be back! Last year I bought two pieces from a farmer's market in summer and when I sold in the last show, I saw that no one else had that type of product. If I think it'll work out with the studio I'm planning to produce smaller ornaments because this show lends itself to the Nov/Dec holiday season. They can be used for tree ornaments (though they are heavy on account of the clay) or like for the ladies who like to decorate tiered trays, hang them off pillar candle holders, lamps and such for their decor--like I do. :-)

Anyway, the pieces I purchased were using an extra large cookie cutter so I think I can just use the large cookie cutters I already have which are larger than is typical and uniform in size. Should be pretty straightforward and if I can source from the studio both the clay and glaze. It'll be like icing cookies. 8-) I've already gotten them entered into the system so I'm committed but if I can't get them in this show (if they have limited hours) I'll put them in the next.

If. they. turn. out. good. :shock:

If they turn out good I can think of multiple applications...then I'll go wild over winter. If you are an artist or crafter, you'll know what I mean by that. It's not about the money. It's about the creation.

p.s. I wasn't planning to purchase from Blick's I just used the website and their videos to study up a bit on the types of clay.

Slava Ukraini!