A Brief I Wish I’d Written

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

A Brief I Wish I’d Written

Post by Res Ipsa »

The Onion has filled an amicus Brief with the Supreme Court in a case involving parody. https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/ ... 0Brief.pdf

If I had written this brief, I’d just retire, because I’d never be able to come close to this one ever again.

Enjoy.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor Steuss
God

Re: A Brief I Wish I’d Written

Post by Doctor Steuss »

The Onion’s motto is central to this brief for two important reasons. First, it’s Latin. And The Onion knows that the federal judiciary is staffed entirely by total Latin dorks:
Lol
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Low key appealing to their vanity? Brilliant.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

Domestically, the number of elected leaders who are still incapable of parsing The Onion’s coverage as satire is daunting, but one particular example stands out: Republican Congressman John Fleming, who believed that he needed to warn his constituents of a dangerous escalation of the pro-choice movement after reading The Onion’s headline Planned Parenthood Opens $8 Billion Abortionplex.
Years ago, the Harvard Lampoon did a parody of the National Enquirer, The Irrational Enquirer. They said it was actually challenging to come up with headlines that could come across a parody in the context of The National Enquirer. My personal favorite:

WOMAN GIVES BIRTH TO SELF!

But in an increasingly irrational political climate, a Billion Dollar Abortionplex sounds as sane as a pedophile pizza parlor.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:49 am
Years ago, the Harvard Lampoon did a parody of the National Enquirer, The Irrational Enquirer. They said it was actually challenging to come up with headlines that could come across a parody in the context of The National Enquirer.
Wish they had been so bold as to reveal that the bat child written about in the Enquirer was actually Donald Trump.

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace