Biden's Amazing Accomplishments Overlooked

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Vēritās
God

Re: Biden's Amazing Accomplishments Overlooked

Post by Vēritās »

Gunnar wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:11 pm

Given these increasingly obvious facts, why would you be so dead set against EVs? It is hard for me to imagine anything more irrational!
Because FOX News attacked the Chevy Volt back in 2008 and mocked the idea of plugging in a car. Man do they look stupid now.

Yeah, I also remember FOX News and Rush Limbaugh having conniption fits about transitioning to LED.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Vēritās wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:01 pm
Gunnar wrote:

Given these increasingly obvious facts, why would you be so dead set against EVs? It is hard for me to imagine anything more irrational!
Because FOX News attacked the Chevy Volt back in 2008 and mocked the idea of plugging in a car. Man do they look stupid now.

Yeah, I also remember FOX News and Rush Limbaugh having conniption fits about transitioning to LED.
And MAGA conservatives are still mocking EVs. Margery Taylor Green claims they are emasculating because they don't produce the full-throated roar of gasoline powered muscle cars with noisy, inefficient and polluting ICE engines. In fact, she ridicules the very idea of environmentalism and trying to reduce pollution as somehow unmanly and emasculating!
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Gunnar wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:37 pm
Vēritās wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:01 pm

And MAGA conservatives are still mocking EVs. Margery Taylor Green claims they are emasculating because they don't produce the full-throated roar of gasoline powered muscle cars with noisy, inefficient and polluting ICE engines. In fact, she ridicules the very idea of environmentalism and trying to reduce pollution as somehow unmanly and emasculating!
Pete's response, while on Fox, to what Green said was gold.

On a related note, the August 2022 issue of Motortrend did a full-on review (11 pages, If I recall correctly) of the F-150 lightning. Their take: The only reasons a truck-lover shouldn't buy one are Cost, Charging Location Availability/Convenience, or Primal Hatred of EV. The only big drawback they found (other than the aforementioned) is highway passing while heavy towing -- you can't downshift into that sweet-spot on the torque curve when you don't have gears. Towing a full load, it takes it only about 2 second longer to get 0-60 than an unburdened 3500 does.

No load, it does 0-60 about the same as a 6.2l V8 Camaro. Zoom-zoom.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Vēritās wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:56 pm
Dark Brandon strikes another win for his resume!

Biden Issues Blanket Pardons For Simple Marijuana Possessions, Calls For Legal Reforms
President Joe Biden will pardon all prior federal offenses of simple possession of marijuana, he announced on Thursday.

The president is also calling on governors to pardon state marijuana offenses. He will also ask the secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services and the attorney general to review how the drug is scheduled under current federal law.
Man, I’ve been saying since the 90’s we should legalize weed for recreational use. This is such a great move on his part. Finally some damned common sense.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Gunnar wrote:
ajax18 wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:14 pm
Would you like to see higher gasoline and energy prices because it will force people to drive less? Isn't climate change our biggest national security threat, not Russia. The 1980s called and wants its foreign policy back.
Suppose you needed to replace your car, either because it was wrecked or just too worn out to be economically repaired anymore, and you found that you could replace it with a new EV for very little more or even less than the cost of an equivalent ICE car that would in addition save you literally thousands of dollars in fuel and maintenance costs per year, even if gasoline costs did not rise (but especially if they did), would you buy an EV, or would you obstinately insist on buying another ICE car, just to "spite the libs?"

Have you read any of the numerous reports of happy EV owners who are so delighted with their superiority in both performance and economy of operation, that they vowed to never again even consider buying another ICE car?

Do you not know that there are already new models of EVs coming the market that are priced lower than equivalent ICE cars and that current projections are that EVs will soon cost less, on average, than ICE cars?

Given these increasingly obvious facts, why would you be so dead set against EVs? It is hard for me to imagine anything more irrational! It is just as stupid as rejecting LED lights that last up to tens of times longer than incandescent bulbs and use a small fraction of the energy needed by standard incandescent bulbs.

The only ones not benefitting from conversion to EVs are those whose livelihood and profits depend on the environmentally destructive fossil fuel industry.
Ben shapiro owns an EV. But he can afford it and they take a long time to get. But sure I'd buy one under the circumstances you describe. In any event EVs and purposely taxing and outlawing ICEs to make EVs competitive is not going to solve the worlds environmental issues. That won't even put a dent in it.

Human beings have enormous market incentives to find clean energy that even approaches the efficiency of fossil fuels. The fact that we haven't been able to do it is not due to a lack of incentives.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Gunnar wrote:
And MAGA conservatives are still mocking EVs. Margery Taylor Green claims they are emasculating because they don't produce the full-throated roar of gasoline powered muscle cars …
Poor Marjorie thinks that the fellas only care about noise.

Apparently, she’s not familiar with torque. ; )
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:15 pm
So, . . . Who is "Pete," and what was his response?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

ajax18 wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:38 am
Ben shapiro owns an EV. But he can afford it and they take a long time to get. But sure I'd buy one under the circumstances you describe. In any event EVs and purposely taxing and outlawing ICEs to make EVs competitive is not going to solve the worlds environmental issues. That won't even put a dent in it.

Human beings have enormous market incentives to find clean energy that even approaches the efficiency of fossil fuels. The fact that we haven't been able to do it is not due to a lack of incentives.
If you still think we aren't able to do it, you just aren't paying attention. If you had even bothered to take a look at sites like The Rocky Mountain Institute to which I have repeatedly referred you, you would know better. By far the biggest reason we have not yet achieve a viable, green, carbon-neutral energy economy is the literally billions of dollars the fossil fuel industry has spent on massive disinformation campaigns to block effective action to implement solutions and discredit the realities of AGW and the very real promise of emerging green technologies, in which we are in great danger of falling behind our greatest rival, China, very much to the detriment of our future economic and technological competitiveness.

The only ones not benefitting from conversion to EVs are those whose livelihood and profits depend on the environmentally destructive fossil fuel industry. See and study Merchants of Doubt by Naomi Oreskes and Eric M. Conway.

Here is the video of Naomi Oreskes' presentation given at and very well positively reviewed by that Bastion of conservative thought, BYU. The truth is that even Science Professors at BYU are just as convinced of the realities and dangers of anthropogenic climate change as the vast majority of the world's scientists in general.

ETA: Imagining the Future of Energy
Few industries are evolving at a speed that comes close to the energy sector. The race to net zero has accelerated new waves of innovation, change and opportunity.
Last edited by Gunnar on Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

canpakes wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:47 am
Gunnar wrote:
And MAGA conservatives are still mocking EVs. Margery Taylor Green claims they are emasculating because they don't produce the full-throated roar of gasoline powered muscle cars …
Poor Marjorie thinks that the fellas only care about noise.

Apparently, she’s not familiar with torque. ; )
And almost certainly would not be capable of even understanding the concept if anyone tried to explain it to her.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:18 am
Doctor Steuss wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:15 pm
So, . . . Who is "Pete," and what was his response?
Sorry. Pete Buttigieg.

Link to response.