Biden's Amazing Accomplishments Overlooked

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
canpakes
God

Re: Biden's Amazing Accomplishments Overlooked

Post by canpakes »

Vēritās wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:26 pm
Kishkumen wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:22 pm
Last time I filled up, gasoline was $3.13 a gallon in my area.

We are not at war with Russia.
It is just as cheap or cheaper in Texas where ajax lives. But he keeps whining about "$6 gasoline" as if he's ever paid that.
The west coast is seeing some crazy high price spikes, but this seems more related to refinery shutdowns in those areas than anything else.

https://ktvz.com/news/business/2022/10/ ... -aaa-says/

I’m sure that there’s a way that we can blame Biden for this.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:14 pm
Would you like to see higher gasoline and energy prices because it will force people to drive less? Isn't climate change our biggest national security threat, not Russia. The 1980s called and wants its foreign policy back.
Well, I guess that it’s a good thing for gas buyers that operating rig counts are twice as high now as when Biden took office. ; )

http://www.energy-cg.com/Drilling/USA_O ... up_web.png
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

canpakes wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:15 pm
Vēritās wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:26 pm

It is just as cheap or cheaper in Texas where ajax lives. But he keeps whining about "$6 gasoline" as if he's ever paid that.
The west coast is seeing some crazy high price spikes, but this seems more related to refinery shutdowns in those areas than anything else.

https://ktvz.com/news/business/2022/10/ ... -aaa-says/

I’m sure that there’s a way that we can blame Biden for this.
Other areas might be feeling a bit of refinery-induced pain-at-the-pump here soon. There was a fire at an Ohio refinery a little over a week ago, and BP has started laying off workers (indicating they don't anticipate it being fully up and running again for a while). There was also a Louisiana refinery fire yesterday.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

ajax18 wrote:
Would you like to see higher gasoline and energy prices because it will force people to drive less?
I really don't care, I don't use gas anymore. But I see no evidence that people drive less because of gas prices. In this booming economy people are spending money because they have it and can afford to spend. Too much consumer demand creates inflation.

Isn't climate change our biggest national security threat, not Russia. The 1980s called and wants its foreign policy back.
Something about invading a sovereign country and talking about using nukes, kinda tips the scales the other way.
Last edited by Vēritās on Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:36 pm
Why would Biden pass an "Inflation reduction act," when according to you inflation is good for working class people?
Some inflation is good for most people, but Biden is obviously trying to keep it from getting out of hand.
Oh that's right, it does nothing to ease inflation.
Yes it does, you just don't understand economics.
But the interest rate hikes will force people 20 years younger than me to pay $250k more in interest than I did over the life of the loan for the same house.
Interest hikes are only temporary for crying out loud. Ever heard of a refi? Good grief your hyperbole is beyond stupid. Is it really all you know?

$6 gas, 8 million immigrants, and now $250k more in interest huh? Three whopper lies in just one thread.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:36 pm
But the interest rate hikes will force people 20 years younger than me to pay $250k more in interest than I did over the life of the loan for the same house.
While the rate increases are undeniably hurting a lot of people (and some key industries), I think it is also important to look at what rates were before we got so used to cheep borrowing.

The 30-year rate right now is equal to, or less than, what it was from the 70's all the way to the end of the 90's. It isn't that much higher than it was from 1999, until the Great Recession hit.

As an aside; a common misconception is that mortgage rates are determined by the Fed. The Fed rate certainly influences them, but they are ultimately determined by the market. So, the state of the economy (i.e. low unemployment = higher rates; high unemployment = lower rates), bonds markets, SOFR, etc. are all influencing factors.

Biden's supervillain powers are in reality a little more depressing than you make them out to be.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Vēritās wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:45 pm
Pretty sure he said he moved because of taxes.
Sorry. I missed seeing the post where he said that. How sure are you that he did say that?
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Gunnar wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:19 pm
Vēritās wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:45 pm
Pretty sure he said he moved because of taxes.
Sorry. I missed seeing the post where he said that. How sure are you that he did say that?
Pretty sure.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

ajax18 wrote:
Would you like to see higher gasoline and energy prices because it will force people to drive less? Isn't climate change our biggest national security threat, not Russia. The 1980s called and wants its foreign policy back.
Suppose you needed to replace your car, either because it was wrecked or just too worn out to be economically repaired anymore, and you found that you could replace it with a new EV for very little more or even less than the cost of an equivalent ICE car that would in addition save you literally thousands of dollars in fuel and maintenance costs per year, even if gasoline costs did not rise (but especially if they did), would you buy an EV, or would you obstinately insist on buying another ICE car, just to "spite the libs?"

Have you read any of the numerous reports of happy EV owners who are so delighted with their superiority in both performance and economy of operation, that they vowed to never again even consider buying another ICE car?

Do you not know that there are already new models of EVs coming the market that are priced lower than equivalent ICE cars and that current projections are that EVs will soon cost less, on average, than ICE cars?

Given these increasingly obvious facts, why would you be so dead set against EVs? It is hard for me to imagine anything more irrational! It is just as stupid as rejecting LED lights that last up to tens of times longer than incandescent bulbs and use a small fraction of the energy needed by standard incandescent bulbs.

The only ones not benefitting from conversion to EVs are those whose livelihood and profits depend on the environmentally destructive fossil fuel industry.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Dark Brandon strikes another win for his resume!

Biden Issues Blanket Pardons For Simple Marijuana Possessions, Calls For Legal Reforms
President Joe Biden will pardon all prior federal offenses of simple possession of marijuana, he announced on Thursday.

The president is also calling on governors to pardon state marijuana offenses. He will also ask the secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services and the attorney general to review how the drug is scheduled under current federal law.