Biden's Amazing Accomplishments Overlooked

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Vēritās
God

Re: Biden's Amazing Accomplishments Overlooked

Post by Vēritās »

How can we forget Biden's accomplishment of having prisoners released overseas from countries like Venezuela and Russia?

Trevor Reed who was arrested during the Trump administration got no help from Trump, but needed Biden to take over to secure his release. Trump doesn't care about anyone unless they can serve him in some way.

Venezuela releases 7 jailed Americans
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Well, this would fall under the heading of accomplishments of the current Administration. If this is as severe a blow as described, then it will be interesting to see the fallout over the next few years.
The Biden administration’s sweeping new export controls aimed at cutting off China from obtaining chips used in supercomputers has caused the “complete collapse” of the Communist country’s semiconductor industry, an analyst claims.

“This is what annihilation looks like: China’s semiconductor manufacturing industry was reduced to zero overnight,” Jordan Schneider, a US-based China tech expert and analyst at Rhodium Group, said in a lengthy tweet thread on Friday.

Mr. Schnieder said rules announced by the US Department of Commerce last week restricting “US persons” from involvement in manufacturing chips in China had led to mass resignations of American executives from Chinese firms.

This had the effect of “paralyzing Chinese manufacturing overnight”, adding that the industry was in “complete collapse” with “no chance of survival”.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 1.html?amp
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

This midterm election should be chalked up as an accomplishment.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Vēritās wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:48 pm
This midterm election should be chalked up as an accomplishment
I will feel considerably better, though, if the enough of the elections and runoffs that are still in play result in Democrat victories to retain majorities in both houses of Congress. I am deeply disappointed that Mandela Barnes of Wisconsen and Tim Ryan of Ohio lost to their Republican opponents. They deserved to win by huge margins. And I found the loss of Val Demings to that sycophantic, cowardly fool, Marco Rubio in Florida to be particularly unjust and tragic! She would have been a tremendous asset to the U.S. Senate! She totally decimated Rubio in her debates with him! I fail to understand how anyone watching those debates could have failed to see that! Perhaps that was the problem -- too many Florida voters couldn't bear seeing an intelligent, uppity Black woman overwhelmingly dominating and humiliating a conservative White man!
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
¥akaSteelhead
Deacon

Post by ¥akaSteelhead »

Republicans will win control of the house of a direct result of gerrymandering that is currently being litigated, and as a result of the Supreme Court' suspension of the voters' rights act. Would have been nice if it could have been resolved before the election.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Gunnar wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:52 pm
I will feel considerably better, though, if the enough of the elections and runoffs that are still in play result in Democrat victories to retain majorities in both houses of Congress. I am deeply disappointed that Mandela Barnes of Wisconsen and Tim Ryan of Ohio lost to their Republican opponents. They deserved to win by huge margins. And I found the loss of Val Demings to that sycophantic, cowardly fool, Marco Rubio in Florida to be particularly unjust and tragic! She would have been a tremendous asset to the U.S. Senate! She totally decimated Rubio in her debates with him! I fail to understand how anyone watching those debates could have failed to see that! Perhaps that was the problem -- too many Florida voters couldn't bear seeing an intelligent, uppity Black woman overwhelmingly dominating and humiliating a conservative White man!
I was hoping Val Demings would be chosen as Biden’s running mate for the 2020 race. I am not all that surprised about the loss to Rubio. There are a lot of Latino voters in Florida, and many of them are Republican. Of course, Val Demings whipped him in the debate. And, of course, Rubio sucks as a senator. He’s a spineless weasel. But Florida has really gone red lately. Must be all of the crazy conservative seniors moving here.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:25 am
Gunnar wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:52 pm
I was hoping Val Demings would be chosen as Biden’s running mate for the 2020 race. I am not all that surprised about the loss to Rubio. There are a lot of Latino voters in Florida, and many of them are Republican. Of course, Val Demings whipped him in the debate. And, of course, Rubio sucks as a senator. He’s a spineless weasel. But Florida has really gone red lately. Must be all of the crazy conservative seniors moving here.
I was somewhat surprised that she lost to Rubio. Her performance in the debates between him and her was obviously so much more impressive than his pathetic efforts, I really thought that she had a good shot at winning. If I were Latino, I think I would have been deeply embarrassed and disappointed by his performance. But then, again, maybe his fellow Latinos felt sorry for him because he seemed so obviously whipped and uncomfortable.

I didn't really care one way or another about whether or not she became Biden's running mate before the election, but I now agree with you wholeheartedly that she would have been a good choice. If Biden runs again in 2024, do you think that replacing Kamela Harris with her would increase his chances of reelection? What if Biden decides not to run again, what do you think of her as a potential presidential candidate?
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Gunnar wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:26 am
I was somewhat surprised that she lost to Rubio. Her performance in the debates between him and her was obviously so much more impressive than his pathetic efforts, I really thought that she had a good shot at winning. If I were Latino, I think I would have been deeply embarrassed and disappointed by his performance. But then, again, maybe his fellow Latinos felt sorry for him because he seemed so obviously whipped and uncomfortable.
That's how successful the MAGA GOP has been at stoking hatred. You can have the worst candidate imaginable, and they still have a fighting chance at winning because your base would never dream of voting for the devil. Latino voters, particularly Florida's Cuban vote, viscerally hate Democrats because of their hatred of communist Cuba. All you have to do is accuse Dems of being communist, and the Cubans of Florida won't touch them with a ten-foot pole. Meanwhile, Rubio is a spineless weasel.
I didn't really care one way or another about whether or not she became Biden's running mate before the election, but I now agree with you wholeheartedly that she would have been a good choice. If Biden runs again in 2024, do you think that replacing Kamela Harris with her would increase his chances of reelection? What if Biden decides not to run again, what do you think of her as a potential presidential candidate?
In retrospect, it was pie in the sky dreaming for me to imagine that the Dems would choose Demings as Biden's running mate. From my outsider's perspective, it has looked to me as though the Dems are really about who has earned their place the closer you get to the top. No way Demings would be chosen over Harris. As an outsider, I see Harris as a generally unlikeable character from the get-go. I thought, "Why pick a Californian when California is in the bag? Florida is a place where you might generate some excitement and get something from choosing a Floridian."

But now that she has lost by double digits to Rubio, I can't see her being chosen to replace Harris. I imagine Harris will hang on and Biden will lose. Right now I see President DeSantis on the horizon. Biden outperformed by a longshot anything that I thought he might have accomplished. By rights, he should be reelected based on those achievements, but it takes an awful lot to buck the usual gut reaction voting trends. High inflation and you are voted out, even when you probably had little control over inflation.
Last edited by Kishkumen on Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Gunnar wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:26 am
These aren't typical Latinos, these are Cubans. Republicans actually won Dade county, the most populated county in the state which is hard for Republicans to do. You can thank years of FOX News indoctrination trying to scare the Cubans into thinking that by electing a Democrat, this means they'll be back in communism.

Notice how Republicans are never talking about Cubans crossing over into Florida illegally.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Vēritās wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:51 pm
These aren't typical Latinos, these are Cubans. Republicans actually won Dade county, the most populated county in the state which is hard for Republicans to do. You can thank years of FOX News indoctrination trying to scare the Cubans into thinking that by electing a Democrat, this means they'll be back in communism.

Notice how Republicans are never talking about Cubans crossing over into Florida illegally.
Yes, I was aware that Latinos in Florida are not typical Latinos, being largely, as you said, refugees from Cuba's Communist regime, and less likely to be Democrats. Thanks for reminding me of that. But still, Rubio's performance in the debates with Val Demings was so pathetic and so clearly dishonest, it still seems to me that fully rational and well-informed Latinos, even ex Cubans, should have seen how thoroughly Demings eviscerated and embarrassed him. He seemed to me like a deer caught in the headlights under her onslaught of incontrovertible facts and evidence. But then, as I previously said, maybe too many of his fellow Latinos felt sorry for him because of seeing how easily Demings demolished him.

And surely none of the illegal immigrants DeSantis flew to Martha's Island were Cuban asylum seekers.