Belief in God

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
KevinSim
Bishop

Belief in God

Post by KevinSim »

Why shouldn't I believe in God?
Marcus
God

Re: Belief in God

Post by Marcus »

KevinSim wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:51 am
Do what you want. No one's stopping you.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

KevinSim wrote:
Shouldn't? What does that even mean? I saw your similar post in Terrestrial and replied.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

KevinSim wrote:
Why should you believe in a particular God, of a particular description crafted by other people?
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

canpakes wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:48 am
KevinSim wrote:
Why should you believe in a particular God, of a particular description crafted by other people?
That point is very important. People in who live in countries that have historically imposed or accepted pretty well universal belief in one of the Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) often talk as if there is only one well-known entity called <insert deity name here> whom one either believes in or does not believe in.

But that's just like asking "do you like sausages?", when the huge variety of possible sausages one might like or dislike renders the question pretty well meaningless (unless the questioner and the speaker know only one kind of sausage, in which case see above). One may like merguez, or pork sausage made with herbs, or .... (etc.) but not like other kinds.

Similarly, we need to ask KevinSim "which deity do you mean?". If the answer is the embodied deity of Mormonism, someone who might affirm belief in the deity of 21st century Roman Catholicism might say "because there are good reasons for not believing in that kind of deity".

So, KevinSim - which deity are you asking about?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Chap wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:37 am
canpakes wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:48 am

That point is very important. People in who live in countries that have historically imposed or accepted pretty well universal belief in one of the Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) often talk as if there is only one well-known entity called <insert deity name here> whom one either believes in or does not believe in.

But that's just like asking "do you like sausages?", when the huge variety of possible sausages one might like or dislike renders the question pretty well meaningless (unless the questioner and the speaker know only one kind of sausage, in which case see above). One may like merguez, or pork sausage made with herbs, or .... (etc.) but not like other kinds.

Similarly, we need to ask KevinSim "which deity do you mean?". If the answer is the embodied deity of Mormonism, someone who might affirm belief in the deity of 21st century Roman Catholicism might say "because there are good reasons for not believing in that kind of deity".

So, KevinSim - which deity are you asking about?
Chap, I think there is more than one way to approach this question. A person may believe there is some ultimate spiritual reality over the material and then wonder what description is better, Jewish , Bahia or some other oriental understanding. Uncertainty of various degrees on that second question, which description is closest to reality, could exist with belief in that most general sense of God.

A different approach could be when someone is convinced that the Islamic understanding is so clear then there must be a God. A person may feel sure about their received tradition such as the Bible and believe God on that basis. If this path is followed then being sure which description is right would be necessary to believe in God.

I think a lot of people do not stick strictly with one or the other of these paths. I think all sorts of Mormons and Catholics can agree with each other that God exists despite clear differences in understanding. Many Mormons and Catholics can agree the other believes in God despite being wrong in their understanding about God. Certainly there are religious traditions more widely divergent in understanding than these two . Perhaps they would not all feel comfortable saying God exists but I think there would still be some common ground in back of there divergent views.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Why shouldn't I believe in the spaghetti monster?
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

The only reason I can think of would be if your belief in God caused you to mistreat your fellow humans. For me, the gradual shift from LDS to Christian to Agnostic to Atheist didn't matter at all in terms of how I interact with my fellow humans.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Vēritās wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:10 pm
Veritas, are you experiencing some strong draw to this belief? Perhaps afraid of the monster dimension? I suspect the alarm and uncertainty will pass. I have not heard anyone express any reason to believe the spaghetti monster. It seems likely that any attraction to the belief will pass away without trouble or alarm.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

huckelberry wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:23 pm
Vēritās wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:10 pm
Veritas, are you experiencing some strong draw to this belief? Perhaps afraid of the monster dimension? I suspect the alarm and uncertainty will pass. I have not heard anyone express any reason to believe the spaghetti monster. It seems likely that any attraction to the belief will pass away without trouble or alarm.
It was a rhetorical question.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18