Belief in God

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Belief in God

Post by Jersey Girl »

KevinSim wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:09 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:39 am
Shouldn't? What does that even mean? I saw your similar post in Terrestrial and replied.
Jersey Girl, I guess I'm interested in what reasons there are for not believing in God.
I'm not entirely sure where you are coming from. I've read your question here and in Terrestrial regarding alternatives to the LDS Church. Do you want to leave the church? Are you thinking about it? Do you doubt the existence of God?

Please know I am not trying to pry or judge you. I'm trying to get a read on where you are coming from.
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

KevinSim wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:15 pm
canpakes wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:48 am
Why should you believe in a particular God, of a particular description crafted by other people?
Well, Canpakes, I'm a Latter-day Saint, so the only qualifications I make about the concept of one god in general (who is in control of everything, and therefore I use the capital 'G'), are that said God is good, loves us, and is willing to answer questions we ask Her/Him about Herself/Himself. What are the reasons for not believing in such a deity?
That sounds like you could end up believing in a number of Gods (capital G).

What are the questions that you’ve asked Her/Him about Herself/Himself, as part of this criteria?
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

KevinSim wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:27 pm
Chap, in other threads I have described God as whoever is preserving forever those good things that will last forever.
What evidence do you have that someone is preserving forever any good things that will last forever (assuming there are any good things that will last forever)?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:30 am
KevinSim wrote:
Chap, in other threads I have described God as whoever is preserving forever those good things that will last forever.
What evidence do you have that someone is preserving forever any good things that will last forever (assuming there are any good things that will last forever)?
While it might indeed be nice (I only said might ...) if there was someone, or something?, somewhere doing that, I can see no evidence that there is such a person or thing. That would seem to be make it inadvisable to believe that they/it do actually exist.

[Edited once for typo]
Last edited by Chap on Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Chap wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:18 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:
While it might indeed by nice (I only said might ...) if there was someone, or something?, somewhere doing that, I can see no evidence that there is such a person or thing. That would seem to be make it inadvisable to believe that they/it do actually exist.
Thanks, but what does KevinSim think?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

canpakes wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:33 pm
Mormon media personality, Kwaku El, thinks the original Council of Gods for our quadrant of this galaxy numbered seven: Elohim, Jesus, Satan, Holy Ghost, Joseph Smith, and two other unnamed Gods*.

Perhaps Kevin already has these on his list (with the exception of Satan who was subject to indefinite suspension by the chairman of the incorporated council).

* Perhaps three unnamed Gods, if Joseph Smith was serving as Holy Ghost at that time.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Dr. Shades wrote:
KevinSim wrote:
None. I have no such evidence. And therefore what? Is there something wrong with believing something like that without direct evidence?
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Jersey Girl wrote:
KevinSim wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:09 pm
Jersey Girl, I guess I'm interested in what reasons there are for not believing in God.
I'm not entirely sure where you are coming from. I've read your question here and in Terrestrial regarding alternatives to the LDS Church. Do you want to leave the church?
No.
Jersey Girl wrote:Are you thinking about it?
Sometimes. Not seriously.
Jersey Girl wrote:Do you doubt the existence of God?
Yes, but again not seriously. I find that I doubt almost anything anymore. But I have made a conscious decision to believe God exists. I don't see any other belief I can have that is as productive.
Jersey Girl wrote:Please know I am not trying to pry or judge you. I'm trying to get a read on where you are coming from.
Like I said, I can't think of a more productive belief than a belief in God, and I'm testing that hypothesis by asking people for reasons why I shouldn't believe in God.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

KevinSim wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:11 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:
… Is there something wrong with believing something like that without direct evidence?
Nope. Lots of people enjoy larping and daydreaming, too.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

canpakes wrote:
KevinSim wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:15 pm
Well, Canpakes, I'm a Latter-day Saint, so the only qualifications I make about the concept of one god in general (who is in control of everything, and therefore I use the capital 'G'), are that said God is good, loves us, and is willing to answer questions we ask Her/Him about Herself/Himself. What are the reasons for not believing in such a deity?
Absolutely. I've never seen it as wise to limit myself to a deity with too many precisely defined characteristics. Better to let God tell me what the precise characteristics of God are.
canpakes wrote:What are the questions that you’ve asked Her/Him about Herself/Himself, as part of this criteria?
I asked God whether the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is true. Which to me means whether God is using that church to lead me to the truth.