Illusory Truth Effect

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Dr Exiled
God

Re: Illusory Truth Effect

Post by Dr Exiled »

It's over $5/gallon in Nevada and probably a little higher in California as that is always how it goes.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

ajax18 wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:04 pm
1. What are the specific policies of the current Administration that you see as raising the cost of gasoline to the end user, relative to the cost per barrel?

2. What are the specific policies of the current Administration that you see as affecting the cost per barrel?

Any thoughts on these?
I think the answer to both of these questions is in the article. You don't need a law to pass in order to spook investors. Just saying we're going to tax oil companies is enough to scare away investors.
You couldn't be more wrong. The current inflationary trend has far more to do with corporate greed, especially by fossil fuel corporations who are making record profits right now, than by anything Biden or his administration has done or is doing. They could voluntarily reduce their prices right now and still have record profits.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

ajax18 wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:04 pm
1. What are the specific policies of the current Administration that you see as raising the cost of gasoline to the end user, relative to the cost per barrel?

2. What are the specific policies of the current Administration that you see as affecting the cost per barrel?

Any thoughts on these?
I think the answer to both of these questions is in the article. You don't need a law to pass in order to spook investors. Just saying we're going to tax oil companies is enough to scare away investors.
These moronic assertions are always made by people who know nothing about the industry, but use only enough brain power to copy and paste Brietbart nonsense. They think Government is always to blame for any business failing because that's what their propaganda tells them. Taxes too high, regulations too many etc. The reason gas companies went out of business by the dozens under Trump had nothing to do with taxes or regulations. It is because the product they were selling no longer had value. It was no longer profitable to produce it. The price of crude went negative because of Trump cratering the economy so they bailed out. And then suddenly with Biden quickly turning around the economy and consumer demand for travel skyrocketing, the shortage of oil/gas means higher prices, and all of the sudden Trumpers want to pretend those failing oil companies in 2020 had nothing to do with the current shortage.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Vēritās wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:52 pm
It is only $2.93 here in Blue Georgia.
I hope Georgia remains blue. There is still a reasonable chance that Walker might win his Senatorial race, despite his appalling stupidity and dishonesty. Besides that, the odds still seem to favor Kemp being re-elected to Governor, and he is doing his darnedest to rig the election in his favor by suppressing voting, just as he did the last time he "won" against Stacey Abrams. I'm sure you agree that when Republicans accuse Democrats of rigging election, they are projecting, as they are practically openly and without apology trying their best to do just that themselves from now on and in all future elections.

And I wish there were better odds that Marcus Flowers would defeat Margerie Taylor Greene, as he is very clearly the better and more rational candidate.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
ismailkho
Nursery

Post by ismailkho »

Early in Biden's presidency, Gad expressed to me a viewpoint that stuck with me. He said, 'Ajax, nobody owes you cheap gasoline. You could opt for an electric car instead. Nobody owes you cheap electricity either. Perhaps learn to tolerate 80-degree summer weather. And as for inflation, it may have actually benefited you, but you might not have realized it.' According to Gad, the concern over high gas prices was misplaced, as it was deemed necessary for the promotion of environmental sustainability. He believed that this was a part of the 'green agenda' that some people supported.
Last edited by ismailkho on Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

ismailkho wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:39 pm
Early in Biden's presidency, Gad expressed to me a viewpoint that stuck with me. He said, 'Ajax, nobody owes you cheap gasoline. You could opt for an electric car instead. Nobody owes you cheap electricity either. Perhaps learn to tolerate 80-degree summer weather. And as for inflation, it may have actually benefited you, but you might not have realized it.' According to Gad, the concern over high gas prices was misplaced, as it was deemed necessary for the promotion of environmental sustainability. He believed that this was a part of the 'green agenda' that some people supported.
So, are you going to stick with one handle or what? You know the rules.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.