Will the Republic as we know it end?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
canpakes
God

Re: Will the Republic as we know it end?

Post by canpakes »

ajax18 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:05 pm
There are still some centrist Democrats who the far left attacks like Musk, Bezos, and Bill Gates.
I’m sure that some might. But there’s nothing here to support a claim of Democrats ‘weaponizing’ the IRS or FBI against anyone. How would that work anyway, if the leaked tax information and returns were correctly reported and filed?
So it was the Republican IRS employees leaking these documents? So what if they didn't get caught. Someone in the IRS still leaked the documents.
I sure couldn’t tell you the political leanings of whomever did it. Same for you. Either way, the action of that individual does not implicate an entire agency or suggest a conspiracy to ‘weaponize’ one.

I’d suspect that the information was leaked by someone who takes offense at the true taxable rate that these individuals/entities enjoy, as compared to what Average Joe and Jane are subject to. And that’s an entirely different conversation, although - given your disdain for disability and tax cheats/abusers - I’m surprised that you seem very complacent about those real-life differences. Raising questions about that isn’t a ‘class warfare’ issue so much as a ‘WTF?’ question about how having greater means enables more manipulation of the existing tax system.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:33 pm
canpakes wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:28 pm

So there appears to not really have been any (checks previous claim), so-called Democratic “weaponization of the FBI and IRS and silencing of political opponents through threRs of personal tax audits”?

In fact, that sort of activity was inhibited by the action of Democratic Party members?
There was. It's why Lois Lerner pleaded the 5th amendment. She was saved because Obama won the election and retained authority to assign a political ally to do a coverup investigation.
Lerner pleading the 5th had nothing to do with personal tax audits.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:05 pm
‘And others’ includes Bill Gates and George Soros in that same stash of leaked IRS data that gave details about Musk. And Bezos owns the Post, right? Those aren’t, according to you, political opponents of Democrats.
There are still some centrist Democrats who the far left attacks like Musk, Bezos, and Bill Gates.

And given that no source has ever been confirmed for the leak, this looks like another unfounded claim on your part.
So it was the Republican IRS employees leaking these documents? So what if they didn't get caught. Someone in the IRS still leaked the documents.
And you attack Republicans who are to your left as RINOs. Extremists attack the less extreme. I'm having trouble seeing your point.

Given your penchant for whataboutism, it's funny to see you pontificate about leaked tax returns of Republicans while conveniently omitting the fact that tax returns of Democrats were included in the very same leak. Congratulations, you've graduated from whataboutism to Issa-Gowdyism. :roll:
he/him

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:22 pm
… Issa-Gowdyism.
This hound just lost the scent. Help a brother out?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:28 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:22 pm
… Issa-Gowdyism.

- Doc
Sorry, I tried to be too cute. I was referring to the IRS Tea Party “scandal.” Issa, Gowdy, and other R leaders pretended as if the IRS had targeted only conservative organizations for additional scrutiny on applications for tax-free status for 501(c)(4)s after Citizens United. The fact was, organizations having names that sounded like political advocacy groups, liberal and conservative, were targeted. Examples included “Progressive,” ACORN or similar names, and several other liberal organizations. Lying by omission.
he/him

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:37 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:28 pm

- Doc
Sorry, I tried to be too cute. I was referring to the IRS Tea Party “scandal.” Issa, Gowdy, and other R leaders pretended as if the IRS had targeted only conservative organizations for additional scrutiny on applications for tax-free status for 501(c)(4)s after Citizens United. The fact was, organizations having names that sounded like political advocacy groups, liberal and conservative, were targeted. Examples included “Progressive,” ACORN or similar names, and several other liberal organizations. Lying by omission.
Ah, thanks. Now the challenge - how do you get someone like Ajax18 to ‘get it’?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:40 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:37 pm

Ah, thanks. Now the challenge - how do you get someone like Ajax18 to ‘get it’?

- Doc
No clue.
he/him

¥akaSteelhead
Deacon

Post by ¥akaSteelhead »

So now we just install governors?

Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

The worst thing about listening to GOP objections and criticisms is enduring how damned stupid they are.

The GOP encourages mocking education, so these fucktards are as uneducated as they could be.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Dr. Sunstoned
CTR B

Post by Dr. Sunstoned »

¥akaSteelhead wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:07 am
So now we just install governors?

What's so distressing is that people actually believe this made up crap. Dear leader can pull anything out of his posterior and his devoted core of simpletons hang on every word. Trump can have a notorious white supremacist holocaust denier as a house guest and he is still hailed as the one who is going to make America great again.