Will the Republic as we know it end?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gadianton
God

Re: Will the Republic as we know it end?

Post by Gadianton »

Thank you for the thoughtful OP, Kishkumen. I hadn't heard that take on Constantine, though I think about Constantine's affirmation of an underdog religion. Not that I know that much about it, of course.

Anyway, curious what you and others think about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfSv9DGtv6Y

I'm a sorta fan of Peter Z's since I've discovered him at the beginning of the war. I do think he's a loose canon at times, but what I credit him for is identifying important issues. He provides great starting points.

In this short segment, he bashes Obama and blames Obama for Trump. Is he right or wrong?

I never cared one way or another about Obama, didn't think he was good or bad, but I don't follow politics; mainly this board, and I hone in on certain issues as necessary. I think the case he makes here is an interesting one, but I also think he has a track record of glossing over ideas that are pretty good. And I wonder how many presidents really have had the large org background to be "managers" -- Biden obviously does. Reagan? Bush 1/2?
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Yes, in the support of white rule, Republicans today will get rid of free and fair elections. They have been gerrymandering the country to death, closing polling sites, and lying shamelessly to the American people about voting fraud. They are anti-democratic and anti-republican. The GOP is an authoritarian cult of personality at this point.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:54 pm
The issue for most voters is and should be what the economic results of a Democrat controlled House, Senate, and presidency are right now. You have to win the battle before we argue about which deity to credit it to. Right now America is losing on inflation, the stock market, the economy, COVID policy, school closures, oil/gasoline prices, energy independence, the southern border, inner city crime/defund the police, America's international sphere of influence/Russia, disabled candidates, like Biden and Fetterman, and on it goes. If you want more of what you've gotten in the past two years, by all means vote a straight democratic ticket.
I didn’t see any solutions proposed by Republicans that are designed to improve these issues - at least the ones that are still around (‘school closures’, ‘COVID policy’, lol).

I’ve even asked you point blank multiple times about oil and gas prices, specifically. You’ve ditched the conversation every single time.

If both your choice of candidate and yourself have no clue what do do - or what works, or doesn’t, or even how the situation functions - then why should I be choosing the same as you?
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

Vēritās wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:41 pm
Some morons need to understand the difference between 1. baselessly claiming an election was stolen via conspiratorial means that have all been debunked, and 2. pointing out the ways in which elections were illegitimate because voters were prevented from voting.

The fact is Brian Kemp effectively prevented more than 340,000 Georgians from having their vote counted, and the conflict of interest was obvious when he was running for Governor while acting as Secretary of State, refusing to recuse himself despite the obvious conflict. He had control to manipulate the system that would ultimately get him elected, and he later admitted that was the whole purpose for the Bill. To help him win an election he won by only 50,000 votes.
In case you missed it, during the final GOP gubernatorial debate, Brian Kemp “accidentally told the truth” about why he signed SB 202, one of the most egregious voter suppression laws in the country: he was “frustrated…with the results” of the 2020 election.

When discussing the 2020 election during the debate, Kemp said, “I was as frustrated as anyone else with the results, especially at the federal level. And we did something about it with Senate Bill 202.”

As MSNBC notes: “When the governor boasted over the weekend about approving Senate Bill 202 because of his frustration with election results, he was making clear that Georgia Republicans made it harder to vote in 2021 because they didn’t like losing in 2020.”

SB 202 made numerous changes making it more difficult for Georgians to cast a ballot and have it counted — including shortening the window during which voters can request and return an absentee ballot, drastically reducing the number of ballot drop boxes and eliminating hundreds of hours of drop box availability, making it much harder to vote by provisional ballot, and making it a crime for volunteers to hand out a bottle of water or snack to voters waiting in long lines..
Biden's remarks about potential illegitimacy of the midterms were made back in January because he was pushing for a bill on Voter Rights Reform. His point was obvious to anyone with a brain and to those who understand the simple fact that Republicans have been suppressing votes throughout the country, and they're electing dozens and dozens of election deniers to help overturn any election result they don't like.

Only the dumbest and most dishonest people would try to equate anything Biden has said to what Trump and his little army of election denying morons have done and continue to do.
Yes I understand, saying that an election was stolen is only a threat to democracy when Republicans do it. Because democracy by your definition is not rule by a voting majority but rather acceptance and support by the voters of public officials who toe the line of the Democrat party. Any group that does not agree with the Democrat party's ideology is a threat to democracy, even if that group turns out to be a majority of the citizens in the United States.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Hawkeye wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:01 pm
Yes I understand, saying that an election was stolen is only a threat to democracy when Republicans do it.
No, you do not understand.

It’s a bit like religion.

If Person A states that they think that the election is stolen, then that’ll be their opinion barring being convinced otherwise.

If Person B states that they think that the election is stolen, then tries to reverse that election by bogus lawsuits, continual public preaching of lies, and - eventually - a violent incursion into government buildings in an attempt to reverse that election, then that’s quite a different story.

Because democracy by your definition is not rule by a voting majority but rather acceptance and support by the voters of public officials who toe the line of the Democrat party. Any group that does not agree with the Democrat party's ideology is a threat to democracy, even if that group turns out to be a majority of the citizens in the United States.
And the majority of the citizens of the United States seem to have sided with the Democratic Party’s candidate, and take no issue with the how the election was run, or it’s result.

Is democracy, for you, the usurpation of that process to suit your own pride?
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

canpakes wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:09 pm
Hawkeye wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:01 pm
Yes I understand, saying that an election was stolen is only a threat to democracy when Republicans do it.
No, you do not understand.

It’s a bit like religion.

If Person A states that they think that the election is stolen, then that’ll be their opinion barring being convinced otherwise.

If Person B states that they think that the election is stolen, then tries to reverse that election by bogus lawsuits, continual public preaching of lies, and - eventually - a violent incursion into government buildings in an attempt to reverse that election, then that’s quite a different story.

Because democracy by your definition is not rule by a voting majority but rather acceptance and support by the voters of public officials who toe the line of the Democrat party. Any group that does not agree with the Democrat party's ideology is a threat to democracy, even if that group turns out to be a majority of the citizens in the United States.
And the majority of the citizens of the United States seem to have sided with the Democratic Party’s candidate, and take no issue with the how the election was run, or it’s result.

Is democracy, for you, the usurpation of that process to suit your own pride?
Xanax is a fascist and doesn't believe in a democracy unless it's a one-party system and you're a party member. He betrays himself over and over again with regard to reading this board and its exchanges - ie, he doesn't. He just does a quick skim and craps out some nonsense because today he's feeling particularly cagey about his crap life. Funny how the Part of Personal Responsibility always ends up blaming others for their own misery.

www.remember45.com

eta - speaking of fascism:

https://remember45.com/altered-a-hurric ... a-sharpie/
Two days later, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), an agency within the Department of Commerce, issued an unsigned statement siding with Trump’s claims about Alabama. Shortly after, the New York Times reported that US commerce secretary, Wilbur Ross, had threatened the head of the NOAA with firings unless they publicly supported Trump’s claims.

In June, 2020, the Department of Commerce’s inspector general released a report on the issue. It confirmed that “the Department and NOAA issued the Statement in response to a request by the White House then-acting Chief of Staff, Mick Mulvaney, to Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross.”

The inspector general’s report further concluded that “the Statement undercut the NWS’s forecasts and potentially undercut public trust in NOAA’s and the NWS’s science and the apolitical nature of that science.”
If anyone is curious as to what fascism in practice looks like, that’s it. This is the man, and by extension, the people Xanax wants to govern. It’s fantastically stupid.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Biden: Unless you vote for me you're destroying American democracy.

How does that sound democratic to any of you?

Doc writes:
If anyone is curious as to what fascism in practice looks like, that’s it
If you want to see fascism, then look no further than Joe Biden's appalling speech in Independence Hall where he uses US Marines as props (which is shameful) to intimidate and denounce the 70 million people who voted for Donald Trump as a threat to democracy.
Last edited by ajax18 on Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

ajax18 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:10 am

Does that sound very democratic to any of you?
You’re probably the most retarded adult I’ve ever seen post on the Internet.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:20 am
ajax18 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:10 am

Does that sound very democratic to any of you?
You’re probably the most retarded adult I’ve ever seen post on the Internet.

- Doc
Perhaps it's a communist style democracy where you're free to vote for the communist party candidate or not vote. What's odd about this line of attack is that it's conservatives who defend the form of government laid down in the Constitution. It's liberals who disparage the founding fathers as racist slaveowners in their effort to see the Constitution discarded and overturned. That's the fundamental transformation of America they're talking about.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Why are Ajax and Hawkeye posting together on this thread? I thought there was a push to limit posters and their sock puppets on the same thread.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace