Three Thousand Years of Longing

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
honorentheos
God

Three Thousand Years of Longing

Post by honorentheos »

My wife and I watched this movie this evening after making dinner. While I don't know if it would be to everyone's taste, I personally enjoyed it. I hadn't heard much about it while it was in theaters and only came across it due to something I saw online a while back.

I'd like to be better able to explain what I enjoyed about it beyond the fact it felt - felt - cathartic. Why? Good question. It is essentially a myth told as a fairytale told as a cautionary tale told as if by a modern Scheherazade about the world today...but not, I guess. It would be difficult to say more without spoiling the movie, though it seems inappropriate to speak of the movie needing to avoid spoilers.

Anyway, since it seems to be a bit of a lesser known movie I thought I'd give it a mention.

ETA: I decided to also link to the trailer but honestly? It doesn't seem to portray the movie as I saw it.

https://youtu.be/TWGvntl9itE
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Three Thousand Years of Longing

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

What platform did you use?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

I bought it on Prime, so it may not be worth it to others until it is rentable or streaming. I don't regret buying it, but I am also a sucker for George Miller so I didn't think it too much of a risk to spend the $20 it cost.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

honorentheos wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:33 am
I bought it on Prime, so it may not be worth it to others until it is rentable or streaming. I don't regret buying it, but I am also a sucker for George Miller so I didn't think it too much of a risk to spend the $20 it cost.
An. I’m a Tilda Swinton fan so the trailer piqued my interest. I’ll keep an eye out when it’s available for, uh, not $20.

I went in hard on Indie/quirky films from 2002 - 2010’ish as I transitioned out of Mormonism and straight into an extended existential crisis. I used to frequent an arthouse theater in NC which was fairly cathartic, to use your term, but I can’t quite put my finger on why these films were so useful in shaping my post-Mo worldview. It was a good time, though. Whatever the case may be, I saw The Road Warrior in theater when I was a kid and it was so impactful I’ve probably watched it a dozen tines since. What a film.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:49 am
honorentheos wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:33 am
An. I’m a Tilda Swinton fan so the trailer piqued my interest. I’ll keep an eye out when it’s available for, uh, not $20.
Yeah, I normally would do the same. I get it.
I went in hard on Indie/quirky films from 2002 - 2010’ish as I transitioned out of Mormonism and straight into an extended existential crisis. I used to frequent an arthouse theater in NC which was fairly cathartic, to use your term, but I can’t quite put my finger on why these films were so useful in shaping my post-Mo worldview. It was a good time, though. Whatever the case may be, I saw The Road Warrior in theater when I was a kid and it was so impactful I’ve probably watched it a dozen tines since. What a film.

- Doc
I experienced something similar, so this intrigues me. I have zero educational experience with film appreciation so I'm almost certainly amateur at best, but I love deep dive film YouTube channels and film presentations. Much of my film watching these days feels like trying to catch up on all the films referenced. The concepts of narrative, myth, and what it means human occupy my mind perhaps more than any other subject.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

Has Tilda Swinton ever played a character that was not a bit off-center?

Let me recommend Julia, a 2008 movie where she is an alcoholic queasily stumbling to the bottom of the barrel. You are both horrified and fascinated by her character.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land