All Lives Matter

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: All Lives Matter

Post by Kishkumen »

It is hard to make a pithy slogan idiot proof.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Kishkumen wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:47 pm
Many moons ago, I had a pearl of wisdom given to me:

If you manage to make something idiot-proof, the world will just make a better idiot.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:19 pm
Kishkumen wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:47 pm

If you manage to make something idiot-proof, the world will just make a better idiot.
Now THAT is a pearl of great price.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:00 pm
Doctor Steuss wrote:

The curmudgeonly delivery of it forever seared it into my soul.. bosom burning galore.

My work area at the time (probably circa 2002-ish) was in a secured room that had a "one-in-one-out" key card system. This inevitably resulted in a few people who had access to the room, but didn't work in there regularly (so they weren't use to the one-in-one-out), getting trapped in there. So, about a week after the room was set up, they had to put in a button to bypass and release the magnet locks. About a week later, a guy was there replacing the newly added exit button with another one that was larger, and was illuminated. I don't remember what I said to him to illicit the pearl, but he was eager to send it grumbling forth.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:29 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:00 pm
The curmudgeonly delivery of it forever seared it into my soul.. bosom burning galore.

My work area at the time (probably circa 2002-ish) was in a secured room that had a "one-in-one-out" key card system. This inevitably resulted in a few people who had access to the room, but didn't work in there regularly (so they weren't use to the one-in-one-out), getting trapped in there. So, about a week after the room was set up, they had to put in a button to bypass and release the magnet locks. About a week later, a guy was there replacing the newly added exit button with another one that was larger, and was illuminated. I don't remember what I said to him to illicit the pearl, but he was eager to send it grumbling forth.
:lol: :lol: :lol: i can just hear it being said....

Thank you, Dr. Steuss. Your stories are priceless.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Doctor Steuss wrote:

A better one or a bigger one?
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
dantana
2nd Counselor
Location: Joined 7/18/11, so, apparently, position of senior ranking member.

Post by dantana »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:32 am
Doctor Steuss wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:29 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: i can just hear it being said....

Thank you, Dr. Steuss. Your stories are priceless.
Is Doctor Steuss still giving out fan club hats? I never did get mine.
Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever. - Lee Marvin/Monte Walsh
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

MLK wrote:And when this happens, and when we allow freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, Black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual: Free at last. Free at last. Thank God almighty, we are free at last.
Cards on the table: MeDotOrg, a lifelong card-carrying liberal, has always been uncomfortable with the phrase 'Black Lives Matter' as opposed to 'All Lives Matter'.

It is not that Black Lives don't matter. Slavery, Jim Crow, and segregation have given African-Americans a uniquely horrifying history in this country. But while the suffering of slaves was the most visceral aspect of American racism, are you going to say that Black Lives Matter more than Red Lives? Or Brown Lives, or Yellow Lives?

'Black Lives Matter' recognizes an immediate political reality. 'All lives matter' echoes the aspirational closing of the 'I have a dream'.

My question would be: Will there ever be a time in American history where we would say 'All lives matter' instead of 'Black Lives Matter'? How would we get there and when would we know we'd arrived?
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

My cards on the table: I am not a lifelong card-carrying liberal. I would hope that all lives matter. That said, I also always felt there was a particular context and point to BLM. According to my understanding, it was very much about young black people being killed by the police. And this seemed to raise the question quite naturally, “Do black lives really matter?”
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:58 am
Cards on the table: MeDotOrg, a lifelong card-carrying liberal, has always been uncomfortable with the phrase 'Black Lives Matter' as opposed to 'All Lives Matter'.
I don't know... It always seemed painfully obvious to me what the message was there, and was honestly surprised right-wingers found a way to obtusely misunderstand it.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.