All Lives Matter

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
doubtingthomas
God

All Lives Matter

Post by doubtingthomas »

Marcus reminded me of the All Lives Matter movement when she made this comment
Marcus wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:32 am
I'm not sure DT will get it, but thank you for talking about people.
I think I get it now. All people matter, except for straight, white, single men who enjoy white privilege. We can simply go to hell, right?
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Kishkumen
God

Re: All Lives Matter

Post by Kishkumen »

Don't rich people have problems too?
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:40 pm
Marcus wrote:
I think I get it now. All people matter, except for straight, white, single men who enjoy white privilege. We can simply go to hell, right?
You sound exactly like Tucker Carlson.

"All lives matter" was a disingenuous response to BLM and it is inherently racist. Why? Not because they really believe all lives matter (they don't), but because they're trying to dishonestly twist what BLM is by shooting back with a slogan of their own. Black lives matter means simply that, but the dishonest strategists on the far right twisted it to mean "ONLY Black Lives Matter" which isn't anything anyone has said or implied. Hence, the All lives matter, Blue lives Matter reaction from the racists in the media.

Sometimes I wished BLM would have started out as BLM2. "Black Lives Matter Too."
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Vēritās wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:46 pm
Sometimes I wished BLM would have started out as BLM2. "Black Lives Matter Too."
Me too, in spades. I would have thought that the intention of "Black Lives Matter" was obviously and precisely that, but I have been astonished to hear people say in a vaguely hurt way "White lives matter too, don't they?" as if the BLM protestors were denying that they did.

White lives have always mattered in the US and other advanced western countries. Black lives have all too often not mattered at all in comparison. And that is exactly what the BLM movement is about.

[Remember the Onion headline: "Black History Month ends. White History Year recommences."?]
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Vēritās wrote:
Black lives matter means simply that, but the dishonest strategists on the far right twisted it to mean "ONLY Black Lives Matter"
Similar to how Marcus is always twisting my words?
Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:44 pm
Don't rich people have problems too?
And there are some women who can't find Mr. Perfect. How sad.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:44 pm
And there are some women who can't find Mr. Perfect. How sad.
Evidently they think so.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:40 pm
Marcus wrote:
How does Marcus's reference to "people" exclude in any way "straight, white, single men who enjoy white privilege." Where does Marcus say that you aren't "people?"
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:50 pm

How does Marcus's reference to "people" exclude in any way "straight, white, single men who enjoy white privilege."
Marcus wants me to talk about people, she hates it when I only talk about single men, " I'm not sure DT will get it, but thank you for talking about people". Would you disagree?
Res Ipsa wrote:
Where does Marcus say that you aren't "people?"
This?

"Let me tell you. I'm open to the idea of having children with a woman in her late 20s and 30s. However, a beautiful 30 year old woman who is single, healthy, and educated will likely have impossible high standards. It's probably much easier to attract a Hispanic girl in her early 20s"

Marcus: Misogynist!

"I read somewhere that ~50% of Men Under Thirty are virgins. Incel virgins. Like. They ain’t gettin’ any, and they ain’t gonna get any. Could it be that young women don’t really vibe with dudes who lack personal discipline, aren’t motivated, and seem to think a passion for gaming is the same thing as a passion for life?"

Also Marcus: Well said, Doc!

I honestly don't care, but her double standard is kind of funny.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:17 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:

How does Marcus's reference to "people" exclude in any way "straight, white, single men who enjoy white privilege."
Marcus wants me to talk about people, not single men, " I'm not sure DT will get it, but thank you for talking about people". Would you disagree?
Yes, I would. Nothing in the out of context snippet you quoted indicates that Marcus cares whether you talk about single men. Your reaction to what Marcus said is a non sequitur.
Res Ipsa wrote:
Where does Marcus say that you aren't "people?"
DT wrote:This?

"Let me tell you. I'm open to the idea of having children with a woman in her late 20s and 30s. However, a beautiful 30 year old woman who is single, healthy, and educated will likely have impossible high standards. It's probably much easier to attract a Hispanic girl in her early 20s"

Marcus: Misogynist!
Why don't you quote what Marcus actually said?
DT wrote:"I read somewhere that ~50% of Men Under Thirty are virgins. Incel virgins. Like. They ain’t gettin’ any, and they ain’t gonna get any. Could it be that young women don’t really vibe with dudes who lack personal discipline, aren’t motivated, and seem to think a passion for gaming is the same thing as a passion for life.

Also Marcus: Well said, Doc!

I honestly don't care, but her double standard is kind of funny.
What, exactly, is the double standard that you claim Marcus is applying in response to these two comments?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Chap wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:27 pm
Vēritās wrote:
Me too, in spades. I would have thought that the intention of "Black Lives Matter" was obviously and precisely that, but I have been astonished to hear people say in a vaguely hurt way "White lives matter too, don't they?" as if the BLM protestors were denying that they did.

White lives have always mattered in the US and other advanced western countries. Black lives have all too often not mattered at all in comparison. And that is exactly what the BLM movement is about.

[Remember the Onion headline: "Black History Month ends. White History Year recommences."?]
I agree also. I think it was a tragic mistake that they did not emphasize the "too" part from the beginning. They should have seen it coming that by not emphasizing that, bigots would immediately try to infer that they were implying that that only Black lives matter.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.