Red Wave

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Vēritās
God

Red Wave

Post by Vēritās »

Fox News Wonk Can't Get Over 'Absolute Disaster' For Republicans In Election

Conservative columnist Marc Thiessen called the midterm results a "searing indictment" of the GOP.
Fox News contributor Marc Thiessen on Tuesday gave an analysis of Republicans’ performance in the election that sounded more like a death knell.

Thiessen, a former speechwriter for President George W. Bush and now a Washington Post columnist, decried the absence of the predicted “red wave” and called the night an “absolute disaster” for the GOP.

Fox News political anchor Bret Baier asked Thiessen to process Democrat John Fetterman’s triumph over Republican Mehmet Oz in the Pennsylvania Senate race, but Thiessen went further afield. Baier wondered how inflation, crime and President Joe Biden’s low popularity could have failed to deliver GOP dominance.

Thiessen did not hold back.

“That is a searing indictment of the Republican Party,” he said. “That is a searing indictment of the message that we have been sending to the voters. They’ve looked at all of that, and looked at the Republican alternative, and said no thanks. The Republican Party needs to do a really deep introspection look in the mirror right now because this is an absolute disaster for the Republican Party and we need to turn back.”

Thiessen assailed “radical candidates” who “put the Republican Party in a terrible position.”
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Red Wave

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

I know there was supposed to be a Red Wave, but what was the expectation on the Right? I’m not sure I’ve seen anyone state outright that they expected x-amount of Republican Senators and x-amount of Congresscritters. And while folks on the Left can feel relatively confident, right now, of holding onto the Senate, where are we headed with the House? A quick look at Wiki shows an upward trend for House Republicans:

2018 - 199 seats

2020 - 213 seats

2022 - 201 seats and?

Shame EA rage quit the board, I’d like his take on Wisconsin gerrymandering and if that was why a seat flipped there. Here in Utah the Republican state legislature was successful in ‘cracking’ SL Co and has ensured a once competitive District 4 seat is now solidly Red for the next ten years+. It feels criminal what they did here, but there’s literally nothing we can do about it.

- Doc
Last edited by Doctor CamNC4Me on Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Yep, Gerrymandering is the #1 weapon in their arsenal against Democracy and the Constitution and because we allowed an autocrat to pack the courts with religious zealots who care nothing about the Constitution, there is literally nothing that can be done about for the foreseeable future. It is one of many reasons why I'll never vote GOP again. All they care about is power and they've found out how to retain power by gaslighting Americans and disenfranchising voters.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:39 pm

Shame EA rage quit the board
Do we know that he quit?

I have serious concerns that he may have succumbed to COVID.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Vēritās wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:29 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

Shame EA rage quit the board
Do we know that he quit?

Someone (Shades?) said a while ago that he was still alive and kicking.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Vēritās wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:26 pm
Yep, Gerrymandering is the #1 weapon in their arsenal against Democracy and the Constitution and because we allowed an autocrat to pack the courts with religious zealots who care nothing about the Constitution, there is literally nothing that can be done about for the foreseeable future. It is one of many reasons why I'll never vote GOP again. All they care about is power and they've found out how to retain power by gaslighting Americans and disenfranchising voters.
Amen.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:35 pm
Vēritās wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:29 pm
Do we know that he quit?

That’s what I understood to be the case. I hope he finds himself and his wife in good health physically, mentally, and spiritually. I really liked his contributions to the board - he’s a great thinker.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:57 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:35 pm
That’s what I understood to be the case. I hope he finds himself and his wife in good health physically, mentally, and spiritually. I really liked his contributions to the board - he’s a great thinker.

- Doc
I do too. I like him and learned from his posts. I wish he still hung out here.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Here in Utah the Republican state legislature was successful in ‘cracking’ SL Co and has ensured a once competitive District 4 seat is now solidly Red for the next ten years+. It feels criminal what they did here, but there’s literally nothing we can do about it.

- Doc
When there is no two-party system, Utah Republicans are more apt to engage in illegal activities, such as several Utah State Legislators and a series of State Attorney Generals.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Moksha wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:16 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Here in Utah the Republican state legislature was successful in ‘cracking’ SL Co and has ensured a once competitive District 4 seat is now solidly Red for the next ten years+. It feels criminal what they did here, but there’s literally nothing we can do about it.

- Doc
When there is no two-party system, Utah Republicans are more apt to engage in illegal activities, such as several Utah State Legislators and a series of State Attorney Generals.
They also have the judiciary on lockdown, which means the lawsuit to correct the Republican abuse of the redistricting process by entirely ignoring the committee’s recommended maps, will go nowhere*. It’s an absolute shitshow here in Utah and there’s absolutely nothing that can be done about because if this suit goes all the way to the Supreme Court, if they were even to accept purview of it in the first place, I guarantee you they’d find for the Right.

- Doc

* Republican defendants have asked that the case against them be dismissed, which was denied, but I think this gets wrapped up now that the midterms have passed