Red Wave

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Moksha
God

Re: Red Wave

Post by Moksha »

Once Republicans have tipped their hand at being eager to abandon democracy and embrace fascism there shall be no redemption. They have been tainted with Trumpism. They should have rejected the fascist base and let them form a third party which then could have sought to subvert America. Republicans should not have been eager to buy into this repudiation of everything they once stood for in order to gain power, but they did. Their new man DeSantis is made of the same Trump cloth and has the same inability, to tell the truth.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

https://nypost.com/2022/11/11/nevada-re ... New Testament-report/
Laxalt is ahead of incumbent Democratic Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto by just 800 votes after 23,000 mail-in ballots were tabulated in Clark County on Friday. The results from the mail-in ballots are favoring Cortez Masto at a 2-1 rate. Clark County, home to Las Vegas, reportedly has about 27,000 mail-in ballots left to be counted.
Holy cow. If the Dems retain the Senate that’s huge. Now if we could only create better boundaries for the House. I swear we need an AI district generator that’ll make each district Purple so candidates actually have to persuade voters with reason rather than affiliation.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

I don't think it would happen, but could you imagine the ensuing implosion on the Right if the Democrats take the House and then the Senate with 51 Senators? Not only would this be the ultimate indictment of MAGA movement and the GOP as a whole, it would also give Biden the power to pass pretty much anything he wants over the rest of his tenure.
I think I'd almost prefer it to turn out that way at this point.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Dems win in Nevada giving them control over the Senate regardless of what happens in Georgia.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Some Schmo wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:30 pm
honorentheos wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:19 am
There are some issues where the calculus on that one issue overrides everything else. If someone agrees the GOP backed trying to steal an election and attack Congress? Kinda hard to vote for anyone with an R until they stand up against that. View the McConnell shenanigans in packing the the Supreme Court as having begun to impose religious beliefs on others ala Dobbs? Kinda hard to vote for anyone with an R when they clearly don't value democratic norms. Inflation, concerns over spending, foreign policy and conflicts in Europe aren't tipping scales for anyone who is weighing the effects of becoming a failed democracy. It was heartening to see that, to be honest. I didn't think we had it in us.
Yeah man. This was my primary reaction to the midterms. This is the most optimistic I've felt toward American voters in years. We actually do care about democracy. I'm heartened to see it, too.

I'm also very encouraged by how poorly Trump endorsed candidates did. It seems most people are sane.
Agree on all points above. I don't want to read too much into it, but it does feel like we turned a corner of sorts.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Someone somewhere said it’s been over 100 years since the party in power has held 100% of their Senate seats. I don’t know if that’s accurate, but I do wonder how long it’s been since they’ve held 100% of their Senate seats and flipped one? That’s crazy if GA goes the Democrats’ way. I hope moving forward the DNC takes a lesson from the RNC’s (really the Republican State Legislative Committee) REDMAP strategy, and begins to find a way to get the legislatures at the state level to be more competitive. We got ****ed so hard here in Utah thanks to our legislature cracking SL Co, and the same has happened across the US (I think Wisconsin voted something like 51 or 52% Democratic, but only has ~30% of the state legislature, which is BS).

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
hauslern
1st Counselor

Post by hauslern »

What I find strange is because of the districts situation you can have a Democrat governor supported by the majority but because of gerrymandering can do nothing. The GOP then try to get a super majority to override the governor's veto. I wonder why people in the US bother to vote the system is corrupt and unfair.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

hauslern wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:27 pm
What I find strange is because of the districts situation you can have a Democrat governor supported by the majority but because of gerrymandering can do nothing. The GOP then try to get a super majority to override the governor's veto. I wonder why people in the US bother to vote the system is corrupt and unfair.
Funnily enough, I’ve seen online a bunch of, you guessed it, Magatards crying about how they don’t vote because it’s all rigged. Congrats GOP, you played yourself.

The DNC has to BLUMAP state legislatures now. Turnabout is fair-play, idiots.

- Doc
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

Funnily enough, I’ve seen online a bunch of, you guessed it, Magatards crying about how they don’t vote because it’s all rigged. Congrats GOP, you played yourself.
There aren't that many MAGAtards. The welfare queens outnumbered and outvoted them. Until we get voter ID, Republicans will always have false hope only to lose as just enough mail in ballots arrive in the weeks following election day to put the Democrats over the finish line. Democracy is just three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner and nothing better.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Hawkeye wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:47 pm
There aren't that many MAGAtards. The welfare queens outnumbered and outvoted them. Until we get voter ID, Republicans will always have false hope only to lose as just enough mail in ballots arrive in the weeks following election day to put the Democrats over the finish line. Democracy is just three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner and nothing better.
Hey, there’s the dummy making up a fantasy scenario again and knocking it over.

- Doc