Post-Covid Processing of Attempted Carjacking

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Vēritās
God

Re: Post-Covid Processing of Attempted Carjacking

Post by Vēritās »

honorentheos wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:19 am
Thanks Moksha and dantana.

It's interesting that the story now feels a little embarrassing to me. Not that I feel embarrassed by anything that happened, but it seems dumb enough I feel embarrassed about bringing it up. I sent the police paperwork I received to the office and gave them a summary in an email. Nothing really happened to me, life just keeps going on, it's...I don't know. Dumb.
Don't be embarrassed. It was a unique situation worthy of sharing and I'm glad you did. Some here may remember my story of being shot at while in Brazil. I froze up at first because I was trying to process what was actually happening, but then as the dust settled I became extremely pissed off and went looking for the bandits. I was just so pissed off that they were willing to end my life over a damn laptop. If I were in your situation and no weapon was involved I probably would have reacted the same way.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

honorentheos wrote:

It's interesting that the story now feels a little embarrassing to me. Not that I feel embarrassed by anything that happened, but it seems dumb enough I feel embarrassed about bringing it up. I sent the police paperwork I received to the office and gave them a summary in an email. Nothing really happened to me, life just keeps going on, it's...I don't know. Dumb.
It looks to me like you have unanimous respect and support coming from the rest of us, which is pretty difficult to find. No one wants to go through that, and a lot of people would have handed over the vehicle. I am impressed and grateful that it all worked out OK. You probably just don’t like feeling conspicuous in retrospect, and you realize that many others are less fortunate than you. That makes it worse. You focus on the real, and the what ifs fade into the background pretty quickly. Just some guesses on my part. I still think you have nothing to regret here.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Kishkumen wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:53 pm
honorentheos wrote:

It looks to me like you have unanimous respect and support coming from the rest of us, which is pretty difficult to find. No one wants to go through that, and a lot of people would have handed over the vehicle. I am impressed and grateful that it all worked out OK. You probably just don’t like feeling conspicuous in retrospect, and you realize that many others are less fortunate than you. That makes it worse. You focus on the real, and the what ifs fade into the background pretty quickly. Just some guesses on my part. I still think you have nothing to regret here.
Amen to all that! Very well said, Kish!
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Vēritās wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:56 am
honorentheos wrote:

Don't be embarrassed. It was a unique situation worthy of sharing and I'm glad you did. Some here may remember my story of being shot at while in Brazil. I froze up at first because I was trying to process what was actually happening, but then as the dust settled I became extremely pissed off and went looking for the bandits. I was just so pissed off that they were willing to end my life over a damn laptop. If I were in your situation and no weapon was involved I probably would have reacted the same way.
Kishkumen wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:53 pm

I appreciate your thoughts above, Veritas and Kishkumen. I do recall the account of your being shot at, Veritas, and in some way it motivated me to post about it here. I was definitely still processing what happened when I posted the OP, and knowing at least one person had gone though a confrontation with a more dangerous civilian encounter has to have played a role in making the decision this board was a good space to do so. In that same sense, I commented about how my relationship with the event has been evolving from detachment to embarrassment as part of the processing/documenting my inner thoughts. I didn't bring it up at all yesterday while we had Thanksgiving with local family and dessert with neighbors. My wife set it up once, but she knows I'm pretty ambivalent about repeating it. Don't know.

I did get a call from the police and a victims advocate at the city. The person is scheduled for a court appearance this week, charged with felony robbery. I considered briefly if I should submit a victims statement but didn't since it wasn't require and I don't know what I'd add beyond my police statement. It supposedly provides opportunity to provide the court with information on how the crime has affected me. Other than now having my audiobook ready before I go to the car and being more inclined to look around in a parking lot at night than before I guess I'd be hard pressed to say it's caused harm.

I also have yet to inquire into the case which is supposedly my right. I figure the guy imposed on me uninvited that night and that's the time he gets from me. If I don't hear about the outcome of the pre-trial/arraignment I figured I'd inquire but otherwise it's not worth my time.