Facebook: Is anyone else getting these blasted email messages?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Facebook: Is anyone else getting these blasted email messages?

Post by Jersey Girl »

I must have gotten about 6 of these or similar already. Does this have something to do with Meta? There's literally nothing wrong with my ability to log into Facebook. I STAY logged into Facebook.
You can enter this code to log into Facebook:
(number)
If you weren't trying to log in, let us know.
Below the message is a link to click. What the heck?
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
honorentheos
God

Re: Facebook: Is anyone else getting these blasted email messages?

Post by honorentheos »

Hey Jersey Girl,

Sounds like scammers. They want you to click the link which will likely launch some malware. Legit emails should direct you to use the customers service link on the website. Even if it didn't and it was legit, it's good practice to not use links in emails where you aren't 100% confident of the senders identity. If you called the number it would likely be a person at a professional scammer center who answered and they would work one of their numerous scam attempts to get you to give them information or access they can use to take money from you.

Report them and delete is my recommendation.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

I get the same thing on my yahoo email account. The scammers claim to be from yahoo, say my account is about to get deleted and provide a link to correct the problem.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

I got a similar type of scam on my cell phone warning me that my NETFLIX account was terminated and gave me a link to where I could reestablish my account and update my information. I deleted the message and have successfully accessed NETFLIX to watch movies several times since then.

ETA: Another scam taking in a lot of people is a call claiming suspicious activity on your credit card or bank account and advising to hang up and call the service number provided on your card to straighten out the situation. They take advantage of the fact that with many phone networks, the phone connection is not cut off right away unless the original caller hangs up the phone on their end. If the unsuspecting recipient of the call hangs up, as advised by the scammer, and tries to call their own bank, they get a fake dial tone generated by the still connected scammer, they dial their bank's phone number and actually get the scammer, who is still connected, and who then pretends to be the bank and proceeds to extract whatever personal information they can. If you get this type of call and are concerned there may be a real problem, don't call your bank on the same phone or the same line you just hung up. Use your cell phone instead. This scam only works with landlines, as cell phones don't have the delayed disconnect feature.
Last edited by Gunnar on Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Gunnar I get those Netflix things on my cell all the time. Thanks for the replies honor and Dr. Exiled. I clicked the link on the very first one. :shock: Then deleted all the others. It's really annoying.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Oh and I get about a million texts about refinancing our house (it was paid for in cash the day we moved in over 30 years ago) and TONS of alleged realtors wanting to buy the house and property. Uh huh. :roll:

Slava Ukraini!
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:54 am
Gunnar I get those Netflix things on my cell all the time. Thanks for the replies honor and Dr. Exiled. I clicked the link on the very first one. :shock: Then deleted all the others. It's really annoying.
Here is another more insidious scam I recently learned about: Another scam taking in a lot of people is a call claiming suspicious activity on your credit card or bank account and advising to hang up and call the service number provided on your card to straighten out the situation. They take advantage of the fact that with many phone networks, the phone connection is not cut off right away unless the original caller hangs up the phone on their end. If the unsuspecting recipient of the call hangs up, as advised by the scammer, and tries to call their own bank, they get a fake dial tone generated by the still connected scammer, they dial their bank's phone number and actually get the scammer, who is still connected, and who then pretends to be the bank and proceeds to extract whatever personal information they can. If you get this type of call and are concerned there may be a real problem, don't call your bank on the same phone or the same line you just hung up. Use your cell phone instead. This scam only works with landlines, as cell phones don't have the delayed disconnect feature.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Gunnar wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:02 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:54 am
Here is another more insidious scam I recently learned about: Another scam taking in a lot of people is a call claiming suspicious activity on your credit card or bank account and advising to hang up and call the service number provided on your card to straighten out the situation. They take advantage of the fact that with many phone networks, the phone connection is not cut off right away unless the original caller hangs up the phone on their end. If the unsuspecting recipient of the call hangs up, as advised by the scammer, and tries to call their own bank, they get a fake dial tone generated by the still connected scammer, they dial their bank's phone number and actually get the scammer, who is still connected, and who then pretends to be the bank and proceeds to extract whatever personal information they can. If you get this type of call and are concerned there may be a real problem, don't call your bank on the same phone or the same line you just hung up. Use your cell phone instead. This scam only works with landlines, as cell phones don't have the delayed disconnect feature.
That is so disgusting, isn't it? My bank sends email messages but backs up the messages on my online banking feature. I always check both to make sure what's what.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Speaking of banks. This has happened to me twice in the past year. The more recent incident of fraud on my credit card was 4 charges totaling upwards of 300$...all in Kansas. Apparently someone managed to get my information when I didn't have my cc in my RFID blocking travel purse which I use all the time now because it has that blocking plus it's a nice slimline purse and easy to wear.

They cleared up every charge except one. The last message said they concluded that I gave the person permission to use my cc for a 30$ purchase.

Um no. I don't know anyone in Kansas. Kansas is one of the few U.S. states I've never even been to. I've got to get back on the trail of that one.

Guess where all the fraudulent charges were made? Walmart. You know maybe they needed groceries or something but so far as I'm concerned if you're going to rip off someone's card information I say go big or go home. Walmart of all places. :roll:

Slava Ukraini!