Trump, Taxes, and spinning the Supreme Court

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Trump, Taxes, and spinning the Supreme Court

Post by MeDotOrg »

The Supreme Court unanimously ruled against Trump with respect to releasing his tax returns. Trump's response:
Trump on Truth Social wrote:Why would anybody be surprised that the Supreme Court has ruled against me, they always do!” The Supreme Court has lost its honor, prestige, and standing, & has become nothing more than a political body, with our Country paying the price.

Shame on them!
Two thirds of the Supreme Court are Justices appointed by Republican Presidents. The court ruled unanimously against the President. So the question I would ask Trump: If none of Trump's appointments voted with him, exactly when did they get 'corrupted'? What is the process that corrupts them?

Again and again, Trump employs the same strategy: Don't argue facts, condemn your opponents brand. As a logical fallacy, this is called Poisoning the Well: "The Supreme Court has lost its honor, prestige, and standing..."

...because they ruled against Donald Trump. A narcissist looks at our legal system.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Some Schmo
God

Re: Trump, Taxes, and spinning the Supreme Court

Post by Some Schmo »

And yet, how many people will hear that and agree with him, just because he said it? Lots.

This kind of thing has happened a million times before, but his idiot supporters never actually think about what he says, or how what he says rarely makes sense. It's morons listening to their king moron.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

In his ramble declaring he was running for President he mused that liberals had been smart to accuse Bill Barr and the Supreme Court of being "his" as he perceived both then felt obligated to demonstrate they weren't.

In other words, everyone is corrupt in his view. Truth, principles, values, law are all words people use to leverage power, not actual "things" that would motivate someone on their own.

So when he declares the Supreme Court corrupt, it's probably a nod to the idea the liberal media turned them against him successfully.

What also needs picked up on here is the subtext. He had said he would have done the same thing if the tables were turned. So how to read this declaration? Let that sink in. It's an attempt to sway them to show they aren't corrupted which, in his mind, would require them to side with him again.

Stupid, transactional Trump.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Everyone is corrupt in his view because he is corrupt. Only a naïve/stupid person would be honest, so anyone who is successful must be crooked like him. From there, it is a matter of whether he thinks the person is helping or hurting him. He will call out the corruption if the person is “against” him.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:21 pm
What is the process that corrupts them?
In Trump’s case, merely proclaiming something to be ‘x’ then makes it ‘x’.

His voter base aligns their beliefs accordingly.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:05 pm
Everyone is corrupt in his view because he is corrupt. Only a naïve/stupid person would be honest, so anyone who is successful must be crooked like him. From there, it is a matter of whether he thinks the person is helping or hurting him. He will call out the corruption if the person is “against” him.
This has, by now, become so blazingly obvious that one has to seriously question either the intelligence, morality or both of anyone who still supports him!
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

canpakes wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:49 am
MeDotOrg wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:21 pm
What is the process that corrupts them?
In Trump’s case, merely proclaiming something to be ‘x’ then makes it ‘x’.

His voter base aligns their beliefs accordingly.
I think (hopefully correctly) that his voter base is beginning to shrink, but as increasing numbers of Republicans leave the party because of him, the percentage of that (hopefully) shrinking number still remaining in the party who still support him will likely continue to increase, and probably double down more than ever in that support.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I don't think the Supreme Court shooting down Trump indicates that the Supreme Court is upholding justice. I think it can also be explained by Trump lacking the necessary transactional power to make it worth it for his right-wing justices. How do I put this: By confirming near right-wing extremists to join two others of equal or greater extremism securing the 5-4 advantage, they win:

"If I give you the secret ring that gives you superpowers, will you use your powers to give me superpowers?"
"Sure! anything! We're here for you!"
(gives ring)"Okay, give me MY powers now!"
"...what was it we needed you for, again?"

What can Trump do for the Supreme Court? Nothing, at this point. At this point, Trump's corruption progressivism is more of a threat to them than a benefit. It's way too much of a good thing.

One thing I can guarantee everyone, is that when Trump interviewed his justices, he was abrupt as he could be about them backing him and having his back and to secure the appointment, they had to, perhaps in not so many words, say what needed to be said to convince Trump that they'd support him above the law. And they did.