Backing the Blue

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Vēritās
God

Re: Backing the Blue

Post by Vēritās »

OK, so I just watched this four episode Docuseries called the Killing County on Hulu. It was produced by Colin Kaepernick, which I didn't even realize until the end. But all I can say is WOW. I had no idea about Bakersfield California having such a corrupt police dept. The way it was produced was genius because the first episode goes into one example and then veers into another, but then later you unexpectedly find out that the two are connected.

In the first episode one guy is shot dead while traveling in the car with a wanted felon. His family couldn't figure out why he was riding in the car with that guy and there were no answers provided by the cops as to how or why he was gunned down while in the passenger seat of the car. Then later on one of the sisters gets a tip from someone who had her brother's texts, and those texts reveal that he was working as an informant for the police! The family was livid because the police had been painting their brother and son in the media as a violent criminal who engaged in a shootout. Never once did they admit he was an informant until the local news put their police chief on the spot, at which point he finally said yes, he was working with the police!

In another incident a 72 year old man with dementia was gunned down on his own property by cops after a woman called 911 saying he was carrying a gun. He wasn't. He was carrying a large crucifix in his hand.

Another incident involved a father of four who was suffering from mental illness. He was a large man who tried to admit himself to the hospital for treatment but they sent him to the behavioral health dept around the building, but he was sent away from there too for some reason and the security said he walked out into the street and sat on the corner with his back up against the fence. He looked like he was sleeping. The security called the cops to see if he needed some help, but when they arrived at least seven of them beat the man to death and put the k-9 dogs on him. Coroner's report showed dog bites up and down his legs.

All of this from just one town!
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Vēritās wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:27 am
OK, so I just watched this four episode Docuseries called the Killing County on Hulu. It was produced by Colin Kaepernick, which I didn't even realize until the end. But all I can say is WOW. I had no idea about Bakersfield California having such a corrupt police dept. The way it was produced was genius because the first episode goes into one example and then veers into another, but then later you unexpectedly find out that the two are connected.

In the first episode one guy is shot dead while traveling in the car with a wanted felon. His family couldn't figure out why he was riding in the car with that guy and there were no answers provided by the cops as to how or why he was gunned down while in the passenger seat of the car. Then later on one of the sisters gets a tip from someone who had her brother's texts, and those texts reveal that he was working as an informant for the police! The family was livid because the police had been painting their brother and son in the media as a violent criminal who engaged in a shootout. Never once did they admit he was an informant until the local news put their police chief on the spot, at which point he finally said yes, he was working with the police!

In another incident a 72 year old man with dementia was gunned down on his own property by cops after a woman called 911 saying he was carrying a gun. He wasn't. He was carrying a large crucifix in his hand.

Another incident involved a father of four who was suffering from mental illness. He was a large man who tried to admit himself to the hospital for treatment but they sent him to the behavioral health dept around the building, but he was sent away from there too for some reason and the security said he walked out into the street and sat on the corner with his back up against the fence. He looked like he was sleeping. The security called the cops to see if he needed some help, but when they arrived at least seven of them beat the man to death and put the k-9 dogs on him. Coroner's report showed dog bites up and down his legs.

All of this from just one town!
Was this Pelosi's district or Maxine Waters? California dreaming.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Right on cue, the retard speaks the predictable.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Bakersfield is represented partly by Speaker McCarthy and partly by Rep Valadao, both republicans.

https://kevinmccarthy.house.gov/about/our-district

https://valadao.house.gov/
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Feds: Louisville police had pattern of violating rights
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — The U.S. Justice Department has found Louisville police have engaged in a pattern of violating constitutional rights following an investigation prompted by the fatal police shooting of Breonna Taylor.

The announcement was made Wednesday by Attorney Merrick Garland. A Justice Department report found the Louisville/Jefferson County Metro Government and Louisville Metro Police Department “engage in a pattern or practice of conduct that deprives people of their rights under the Constitution and federal law.”

The report said Louisville Police “discriminate against Black people in its enforcement activities,” uses excessive force and conducts searches based on invalid warrants.

The sweeping probe announced in April 2021 is known as a “pattern or practice” investigation — examining whether there is a pattern of unconstitutional or unlawful policing inside the department.

Taylor, a 26-year-old Black woman, was roused from her bed by police who came through the door using a battering ram after midnight on March 13, 2020. Three officers fired shots after Taylor’s boyfriend, fearing an intruder, shot an officer in the leg. Taylor was struck several times and died at the scene.

Seconds ago Garland gave his blistering assessment of the report. Apparently the police force there was engaged in some truly racist antics like calling black people monkeys. Good Lord.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

As The Deaths Pile Up, Experts Ask: Why Are Police Involved In Mental Health Crises?
Gershun Freeman died inside a Memphis, Tennessee, jail in October. A few months later, in March, Irvo Otieno perished inside a state hospital shortly after police and hospital staff knelt on him for several minutes. Aside from being two more Black men in America who died in police custody, their stories share another commonality: Both found themselves under arrest by police officers during a mental health crisis.

On Oct. 5, 2022, Shelby County sheriff’s deputies opened Freeman’s cell inside the county jail. Freeman lunged toward the officers, who began to punch, kick, strike him with handcuffs, and pepper-spray him in an effort to subdue him, video footage shows. He died shortly after.

An autopsy conducted by a county medical examiner found Freeman died of exacerbation of heart disease due to the physical altercation and being subdued by officers, and classified the death as a homicide. In addition, Freeman had psychosis, a mental health condition that can cause people to perceive things differently than what is around them, his family has said.

Police had booked him four days earlier on aggravated kidnapping and aggravated assault charges following an incident with his girlfriend a week before his death, Shelby County court records show.

Freeman’s family and attorneys alleged corrections officers were too violent with someone suffering from a mental health emergency. “I don’t know what’s going on in America where law enforcement treats mental health issues like criminal issues,” civil rights attorney Benjamin Crump said during a press conference.

No charges have been filed against the guards, and there’s been no indication that any were reprimanded. Attorneys said at a recent press conference last week that all guards seen on camera are still working inside the Shelby County jail.

On March 3, Irvo Otieno was taken into custody because a neighbor called authorities alleging he was gathering lawn lights from a yard. Officers took him to a hospital for evaluation and then to jail, where they said he was “physically assaultive” to officers. (His family contests there was any dispute.)

While handcuffed in custody at the hospital, video footage showed at least 10 Henrico County sheriff deputies and hospital staff kneeling on Otieno for 11 minutes. He became unresponsive and died on the floor on March 6. His death was a homicide due to asphyxiation, according to the state medical examiner’s office.

Seven officers from the Henrico County Sheriff’s office in Virginia and three hospital staff workers from that day have been charged with second-degree murder.

Otieno was diagnosed with bipolar and anxiety disorders during his teen years and had prior hospitalizations. However, according to his family’s attorneys, correctional officers deprived Otieno of his medication during his three days in jail.

The idea that law enforcement should not be involved in handling people experiencing a mental health crisis has grown following similar high-profile deaths in police custody.

“You cannot watch those videos and not think police and law enforcement are ill-equipped to respond to calls to help people in situations of crisis,” Daniela Gilbert, the director of the Vera Institute’s Redefining Public Safety program, told HuffPost. “It really continues to emphasize the need for a different approach to these kinds of situations, and more broadly, a different approach to public safety overall.”

Police reformers and experts argue that an officer’s presence increases the risks of an interaction turning violent ― even when the person never posed a threat. Likewise, experts told HuffPost disturbances, welfare checks, trespassing and other minor situations should not require law enforcement.

Gilbert says these calls, like minor traffic infractions, can often turn deadly due to implicit bias officers are holding.

“Our [American] culture of criminalization and use of aggressive policing and arrests as a primary tool for addressing social issues, all of that is rooted in a violent legacy of slavery and white supremacy. And it is inadequate and does not produce public safety,” Gilbert said.

“Tinkering around the edges of reform is not enough. Policing is embedded in the larger infrastructure of the criminal legal system.”

In 2022, The Washington Post analyzed incidents between 2019 and 2021 where police were called for mental health or wellness checks — and found 178 cases where law enforcement killed the people they were called to help.

“There is no need for someone with a gun to respond to these situations when people really need someone who is better equipped to provide them with the help and resources they deserve,” Gilbert said.

In 2022, a total of 110 people were killed after police responded to someone “behaving erratically,” according to a study from Mapping Police Violence.

A recent report from the Treatment Advocacy Center found people with untreated mental illness were 16 times more likely to be killed by law enforcement.

Some areas have begun to reform how they handle mental health calls. For example, Denver began using social workers in some situations instead of police, and in 2021 New York City also began to send social workers for some 911 calls.

In Washington, D.C., police started a pilot program that removes officers from some mental health calls and routes them instead toward city social workers.

Other cities like Portland established street response teams, specifically tasked with addressing people with mental health issues — and have faced success, according to researchers from Portland State University. The street response team operates unarmed weapons and is trained mainly to de-escalate encounters with civilians suffering from mental health issues.

New York lawmakers proposed “Daniel’s Law” this year, which would create special civilian teams throughout the state who are trained in nonviolent response. It followed the March 2020 death of Daniel Prude, who was reportedly acting erratically before police in Rochester killed him.

His brother said Prude experienced a mental health emergency after ingesting PCP and was naked in the street.

Prude’s family called 911, but things quickly turned violent after officers placed a “spit hood” over his head, a restraint device used to prevent people from spitting or biting. Prude was declared brain dead upon arriving at the hospital and died a few days later after being taken off life support. Prude was suicidal, according to his brother.

“There needs to be policy changes to make mental health care more affordable and a more diverse workforce of therapists to meet the need in our communities,” said Erlanger Taylor, an associate professor of psychology at Pepperdine University. “This may help to ensure that people can get help before it escalates to a crisis situation.”
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Vēritās wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:30 pm
The idea that law enforcement should not be involved in handling people experiencing a mental health crisis has grown following similar high-profile deaths in police custody.

“You cannot watch those videos and not think police and law enforcement are ill-equipped to respond to calls to help people in situations of crisis,” Daniela Gilbert, the director of the Vera Institute’s Redefining Public Safety program, told HuffPost. “It really continues to emphasize the need for a different approach to these kinds of situations, and more broadly, a different approach to public safety overall.”

Police reformers and experts argue that an officer’s presence increases the risks of an interaction turning violent ― even when the person never posed a threat. Likewise, experts told HuffPost disturbances, welfare checks, trespassing and other minor situations should not require law enforcement.
Yup. Because if we don't ask police to handle situations for which they are neither trained nor equipped, it will be safer, more effective, and (did I mention?) cheaper. Plus the police will have more time and energy to go after the kind of crime they are trained to deal with.

So what's not to like here? Seems blindingly obvious.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
DaveIsHere
Teacher

Post by DaveIsHere »

Bro, look at Ajax's sign and it tells you everything you need to know about them as a person.
If a Giant's pronouns are "fee, fi, fi, and fum", does that mean short people's pronouns are "oompa, loompa, and doopity-doo"?
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Bodycam Footage Shows Cops Fatally Shoot Man at Wrong Address
A police department in New Mexico has been in hot water since it was revealed earlier this month that three of its officers responded to a call at the wrong house—and then shot the man who lived there. Now, newly released body camera footage shows the tragic moments leading up to the fatal April 5 shooting of 52-year-old Robert Dotson by police in Farmington, New Mexico. According to reporting by the Albuquerque Journal, the officers realized they were at the wrong house before Dotson opened the door. But they proceeded to shine a powerful light on him anyway, and then began shooting when he raised a weapon, possibly unaware that the men at his door were police. “All of us—the men and women of the Farmington Police Department—recognize the severity of this incident. We will do everything possible to more fully understand what transpired here,” the Farmington police chief said in a statement. The names of the officers involved have not been released, but the police department said they were all placed on administrative leave.