Backing the Blue

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gadianton
God

Re: Backing the Blue

Post by Gadianton »

It's not that directly about money, Hawkeye. Someone would have to demonstrate how much money tickets make for the government since on the other side of the ledger is the cost of court battles and administration. V wasn't targeted for money.

Low hanging fruit and CYA. Domestic is super political and nobody wants to take the risk of letting it go as let's say a week later, something serious happened, then there would be the outcry over going soft the first time.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Hawkeye wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:40 pm
Law enforcement department are financial predators. And domestic violence cases like yours as well as DUIs are a big cash cow. You had money and you put yourself in a position where the police and a club of lawyers down at city hall could get their hands on it.
None of this addresses the fact that you fully support government tyranny in cases where black people have their rights taken from them. You've demonstrated this for years right here on this forum, bending over backwards making excuses for the Blue. But what you say here is only partially true. Our attorney told us that we were lucky it was Woodstock city police instead of Cherokee County police. His exact words were, "Cherokee County wants your ass, whereas Woodstock City only wants your money."
Hawkeye wrote:
It doesn't pay to give tickets nor issue fines to indigent people in the ghetto who will never pay them. Nor does it generate revenue to jail them.
So just kill them, huh? Is that why Breonna Taylor, Tamir Rice, Freddie Gray, John Crawford, etc were all murdered? They weren't going to pay a fine? GTFOOH.
Hawkeye wrote:
This is why road rules effectively don't exist in the inner city while going 10mph over the speed limit on the freeway as an out of state motorist in South Carolina is automatic jail time and an insane amount in legal fees and fines.
This is nonsense as well. Cops tend to stick to freeways because it is easier to hide their car and catch people speeding well past 14 mph over the limit. I can cruise at 84 MPH across country and never worry about getting a ticket because it isn't worth it to them unless it is at least 15 mph over.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

This is nonsense as well. Cops tend to stick to freeways because it is easier to hide their car and catch people speeding well past 14 mph over the limit. I can cruise at 84 MPH across country and never worry about getting a ticket because it isn't worth it to them unless it is at least 15 mph over.
Try it next time your driving through South Carolina some weekend if you insist on learning the hard way that I'm telling you the truth. You won't get out of jail until the judge comes in the following week.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Hawkeye wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:29 am
Try it next time your driving through South Carolina some weekend if you insist on learning the hard way that I'm telling you the truth. You won't get out of jail until the judge comes in the following week.
I've driven there twice with the family to go on cruises, and I never drive the speed limit. I always set my cruise control for 14 MPH over the limit and I've never been pulled over. It is absurd what you're saying. No one goes to jail for merely speeding 10 miles over.

But think about what you're saying here. You want to blame Liberal "policies" for police overreach, but South Carolina is about as Red as it gets.
A speeding violation is a misdemeanor in South Carolina. The consequences of a speeding ticket generally depend on how much faster than the speed limit the motorist was driving. For a first offense, the following penalties apply.

Up to 10 miles per hour over the limit. Fines of $15 to $25.
More than 10 but less than 15 miles per hour over the limit. Fines of $20 to $50.
More than 15 but less than 25 miles per hour over the limit. Fines $50 to $75.
More than 25 miles per hour over the limit. Fines of $75 to $200 or up to 30 days in jail.

For second and subsequent convictions, the penalties can be more severe. And any speeding ticket will typically add demerit points to a driver's record.
They can pull you over for 10 MPH but it doesn't take any points off your driving record unless it is at least 15 MPH over. I'm driving at least 10 MPH over the limit probably 99% of the time I'm driving. Haven't had a ticket in years.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

It's not that directly about money, Hawkeye. Someone would have to demonstrate how much money tickets make for the government since on the other side of the ledger is the cost of court battles and administration.
Do you not have small town speed traps on the left coast? There's several small towns outside of Memphis where speeding tickets are what pays the bills and often times they're given out at the end of the month to pretty much everyone passing through whether they're speeding or not. On the other hand the city of Mempnis is probably as close to a third world country when comes to respect for any kind of road rules that I've ever seen in the US, and they get away with it every single day without any kind of effort from law enforcement to make the roads safe within city limits. How many working people can really afford to lose a days wages fighting the ticket? And there's a speed trap on I-95 through South Carolina where the speed limit abruptly goes down to 55mph.
V wasn't targeted for money.
That's probably true. But I think this will cost him a significant amount of money.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Hawkeye wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:53 am
Do you not have small town speed traps on the left coast? There's several small towns outside of Memphis where speeding tickets are what pays the bills and often times they're given out at the end of the month to pretty much everyone passing through whether they're speeding or not.
Maybe that's because small town America is mostly Right Wing. :lol: You know, people who are too lazy to get out and work or pull themselves up from their bootstraps. Because they don't work or make enough money, they don't pay enough taxes to fund the basic necessities for local governments, which is why the cops are forced to nickel and dime them to death with speed traps. Virtually everyone I know back in my old hometown of Phenix City Alabama is unemployed and living off of some kind of government assistance. The irony of some of them using that money to purchase their Trump flags, and probably now, his idiotic Trading Cards.
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

But think about what you're saying here. You want to blame Liberal "policies" for police overreach, but South Carolina is about as Red as it gets.
I agree with you that the small town speed trap phenomenon is not due to liberal policies. But it is one reason I agree with Gad in that I view law enforcement as a predatory institution, especially if they know you can pay. It has little if anything to do with keeping roads safe as evidenced by the absolute mayhem that is permitted on the highways around large cities.

I am sorry this happened to your family. But it's not the police officer's fault. They're just carrying out the orders of our elected officials who you more than likely voted for. And it should prove to you that being a white man didn't provide you the advantages in the criminal justice system that Nicole Hannah Jones tells you it does. But go ahead and propose that the policy that someone has to go to jail when domestic violence is alleged be reevaluated and see how fast Pelosi and the squad will smack that down before it even sees a vote on the floor.
Veritas
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Vēritās wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:32 am
A speeding violation is a misdemeanor in South Carolina. The consequences of a speeding ticket generally depend on how much faster than the speed limit the motorist was driving. For a first offense, the following penalties apply.

Up to 10 miles per hour over the limit. Fines of $15 to $25.
More than 10 but less than 15 miles per hour over the limit. Fines of $20 to $50.
More than 15 but less than 25 miles per hour over the limit. Fines $50 to $75.
More than 25 miles per hour over the limit. Fines of $75 to $200 or up to 30 days in jail.

For second and subsequent convictions, the penalties can be more severe. And any speeding ticket will typically add demerit points to a driver's record.

The key here is to drive at precisely 15 or 25 miles per hour over the speed limit, as there are no fines levied for either.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:49 pm
Low hanging fruit and CYA. Domestic is super political and nobody wants to take the risk of letting it go as let's say a week later, something serious happened, then there would be the outcry over going soft the first time.
That's a good point. Vēritās, keep in mind what happened to the Moab police department in Utah. They did precisely what you are advocating for--trying to help as opposed to just unthinkingly making an arrest--and now they're having to pay, perhaps dearly.

No officer wants to be in the position of knowing he or she could've prevented a death if only he or she had done things by the book.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:50 am
Gadianton wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:49 pm
That's a good point. Vēritās, keep in mind what happened to the Moab police department in Utah. They did precisely what you are advocating for--trying to help as opposed to just unthinkingly making an arrest--and now they're having to pay, perhaps dearly.

No officer wants to be in the position of knowing he or she could've prevented a death if only he or she had done things by the book.
Give me a break. There is no comparison between these two cases, and this was just common sense in my situation. My wife was clearly a struggling cancer patient. I had provided all the background to both the 911 operator and the cops who arrived. I informed this this was a medical emergency and she shouldn't be driving, it had nothing to do with "I'm afraid she's going to beat me." She barely had the strength to walk on her own for crying out loud, but you're saying the police, who had to help her out of the car because she was so weak, thought I was an actual victim and could be in danger? I'm roughly 6'3" and a 235 lb man and I was a victim of physical abuse by a feeble woman who was barely 100 lbs at that time and just 5'0" tall?

Save it. There is no way in hell you're going to convince me they did this out of the kindness of their hearts because they were concerned about my safety. They were complete jerks to us both, never made eye contact, just order us both around like we were livestock.