Political Prisoner Persecuted , Prosecuted, but not silenced

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gadianton
God

Re: Political Prisoner Persecuted , Prosecuted, but not silenced

Post by Gadianton »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:30 pm
I've found, as a lifelong registered Republican, that the best way to keep the DOJ from targeting me is to not do anything illegal.
Then you're a RINO.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

The epilogue notes that Hillary Clinton's campaign manager admitted to telling the Obama administration and Obama personally in July 2016 that they were going to use the Russian Collusion hoax to deflect from Hillary Clinton's private server email scandal. Even in July 2016 Obama himself knew that this was all a lie. Their efforts to overturn the 2016 election and take out Trump was the worst coup attempt in the history of the American republic.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

canpakes wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:22 pm
ajax18 wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:46 pm

Did Paul's Democrat daughter reject any money from her Dad?
He’s not dead yet. I’ll let you know what happens with the inheritance you mentioned, after Manafort dies.

Maybe when the pendulum swings back the other way you'll be able to see the flaws in our justice system. I think these plea bargains and openly trying to "flip" witnesses results in way more fraud and injustice than you realize now. It should be illegal but it's not. Democrats do have a forever national majority but even that won't protect you from red states using the same unethical tactics you've green lighted against Republucans.

Putting aside for a moment your claims that the entire Justice department is somehow controlled by ‘Democrats’ and rigged against ‘Republicans’, I specifically asked you earlier what you believe would be a proper sentence for Manafort, after having been convicted of five counts of filing false tax returns, two counts of bank fraud, and one count of failing to disclose a foreign bank account. I’m ready for your answer.
Is she financially independent now? Does she donate her current salary to the people her father supposedly wronged to repay the stolen/blood money she benefitted from?

Judge Ellis's sentence of 48 months was far from lenient especially compared to similar crimes. Paul lists over 10 people convicted of actual bank fraud complaints brought by real banks rather than a partisan political special counsel. Most were were let off with probation. It's in the book if you'd like a list of them. I'm on my phone at a wedding and out of the country so I don't have a way to type it all out for you.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Judge Amy Berman Jackson found that Manafort lied to Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigative team on multiple topics, including his interactions with a former associate in Ukraine with reported ties to Russian intelligence.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:33 pm
Judge Amy Berman Jackson found that Manafort lied to Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigative team on multiple topics, including his interactions with a former associate in Ukraine with reported ties to Russian intelligence.

- Doc
Of course she did. She's an Obama appointee.

Honorentheos if you want to talk about real prison reform, yes for minorities and indigents who have no hope of defending themselves against a prosecutor as smart and powerful as Weissman, you might actually like the part that demonstrates what Trump, Kanye West and Kim Kardashian did for prison reform. He didn't do it for votes as felons cannot vote. Trump did it because it was the right thing to do.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

ajax18 wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:35 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:33 pm

- Doc
So? She’s married to a Christian Bush appointee. I suppose you were cool with Stone posting an image of her on Instagram with crosshairs behind her head, too.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

ajax18 wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:29 pm
Judge Ellis's sentence of 48 months was far from lenient especially compared to similar crimes. Paul lists over 10 people convicted of actual bank fraud complaints brought by real banks rather than a partisan political special counsel. Most were were let off with probation. It's in the book if you'd like a list of them. I'm on my phone at a wedding and out of the country so I don't have a way to type it all out for you.
As a point of reference, each individual count of filing a falsified tax return (he was convicted of 5) carries up to a 3-year prison sentence. So, excluding all other offenses, he was sentenced to 1/4 the maximum. From looking at sentencing guidelines (as far as what it takes for an automatic increase to a level 12, and the information of what he did), that's pretty lenient.

White collar crimes though are historically very slap-on-the-wrist when it comes to justice. There are outlier cases, of course, where people are used to "make an example" or because it's high profile, but overall if you are wealthy and guilty of a white collar crime, you are going to see a fairly light sentence.

Poor person accused of stealing a backpack... 3 years at Rikers Island.
Rich person accused of stealing lots of moolah... likely probation.

[Edited to remove connected person example. I screwed up the political affiliation. Thought of adding the corporate turd doing 3 months at Rikers for Trump, but... rich connected people are rich connected people, regardless of party.]
Last edited by Doctor Steuss on Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:56 pm
ajax18 wrote:
As a point of reference, each individual count of filing a falsified tax return (he was convicted of 5) carries up to a 3-year prison sentence. So, excluding all other offenses, he was sentenced to 1/4 the maximum. From looking at sentencing guidelines (as far as what it takes for an automatic increase to a level 12, and the information of what he did), that's pretty lenient.

White collar crimes though are historically very slap-on-the-wrist when it comes to justice. There are outlier cases, of course, where people are used to "make an example" or because it's high profile, but overall if you are wealthy and guilty of a white collar crime, you are going to see a fairly light sentence.

Poor person accused of stealing a backpack... 3 years at Rikers Island.
Republican Senator accused of stealing over $600,000 in federal grant money... one year of probation.
The wildly disparate outcomes for connected people (usually wealthy, obviously) and the disenfranchised (usually poor, obviously) is perhaps the greatest injustice of the American legal and judicial system. It’s outrageous and frustrating.

- Doc
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ajax18 wrote:
canpakes wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:22 pm
Putting aside for a moment your claims that the entire Justice department is somehow controlled by ‘Democrats’ and rigged against ‘Republicans’, I specifically asked you earlier what you believe would be a proper sentence for Manafort, after having been convicted of five counts of filing false tax returns, two counts of bank fraud, and one count of failing to disclose a foreign bank account. I’m ready for your answer.

Aha. Manafort hand-selected 10 cases for his reader. That’s cool. ; )

Did Manafort mention the Christlys? That’s a very recent case.
Reality TV stars Todd and Julie Chrisley have been found guilty of tax evasion, the Justice Department announced on Tuesday. Their accountant was also found guilty of a number of tax crimes.

Before the couple's show, "Chrisley Knows Best," began in 2014, they conspired to defraud community banks in the Atlanta area to obtain more than $30 million in personal loans, according to U.S. Attorney Ryan K. Buchanan.

The Chrisleys and their former business partner submitted false documents to obtain millions of dollars in fraudulent loans and then spent the money on cars, clothes, real estate and travel. They used new loans to pay back the old ones.

The Chrisleys failed to file tax returns or pay any taxes in the 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 tax years. While speaking on a radio show, Todd Chrisley claimed he paid $750,000 to $1 million in federal income taxes every year. However, he hadn't paid in years.

The couple's accountant, Peter Tarantino, was found guilty of conspiring to defraud the IRS and filing two false corporate tax returns on behalf of the Chrisleys' company. On those tax returns, he falsely claimed that their company earned no money and made no distributions in 2015 and 2016.
Here’s their sentence:
Todd and Julie are planning to appeal their convictions after being sentenced to a combined 19 years in prison for tax fraud.

The couple was found guilty of tax evasion in June, and on Monday, U.S. District Judge Eleanor Ross in Atlanta gave Todd Chrisley 12 years in prison while Julie Chrisley was sentenced to seven.
That was just the first result from a cursory search of recent tax fraud cases.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:41 pm
ajax18 wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:35 pm

So? She’s married to a Christian Bush appointee. I suppose you were cool with Stone posting an image of her on Instagram with crosshairs behind her head, too.

- Doc
So what? Bush is a part of the swamp. He hasn't said anything positive about conservatives since he left office.

What amazes me is that Manafort's daughter is afik still a Democrat after Weissman destroyed her father and by extension her family financially. But then again Liz Cheney is the daughter of a man Democrats wanted prosecuted as a war criminal.