Political Prisoner Persecuted , Prosecuted, but not silenced

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Vēritās
God

Re: Political Prisoner Persecuted , Prosecuted, but not silenced

Post by Vēritās »

Republicans' adoration of convicted criminals speaks poorly to their professed belief in the rule of law. Guess that was just another meaningless bumper sticker slogan. The cult lives on. Nothing else matters. Defend the cult. Protect the cult. Make excuses for the cult. Because America doesn't really matter.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ajax, would you expect that investigations into tax fraud must begin and end within the same year?
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

canpakes wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:08 pm
ajax, would you expect that investigations into tax fraud must begin and end within the same year?
Maybe not the first but wouldn't they notify the suspect by the second year? Maybe you should listen to Manafort's book and hear his side of it? Then tell me why you see absolutely no partisan politics at work in this case. Like why was his bail higher than John Goddy and why was an allegedly nonviolent white collar criminal held in solitary confinement for 2 years? Do you think Manafort and Flynn met financial ruin just to protect Trump?
Last edited by ajax18 on Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

ajax18 wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:45 pm
canpakes wrote:
Maybe not the first but wouldn't they notify the suspect by the second year? Maybe you should listen to Manafort's book and hear his side of it? Then tell me why you see absolutely no partisan ploitics at work in this case.
Is his side of it in the book different than the side he presented to a jury in the trial that was overseen by a Ronald Reagan appointed judge?
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:52 pm
ajax18 wrote:

Maybe not the first but wouldn't they notify the suspect by the second year? Maybe you should listen to Manafort's book and hear his side of it? Then tell me why you see absolutely no partisan ploitics at work in this case.
Is his side of it in the book different than the side he presented to a jury in the trial that was overseen by a Ronald Reagan appointed judge?
I haven't got to that part yet. He's talking about Amy Berman Jackson. But it wouldn't surprse me. Paul Ryan could have stuck up for Manafort but didn't.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

ajax18 wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:57 pm
Doctor Steuss wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:52 pm

I haven't got to that part yet. He's talking about Amy Berman Jackson. But it wouldn't surprse me. Paul Ryan could have stuck up for Manafort but didn't.
When speaking about Jackson, does he touch on his apology for his crimes, and everything that he had done that led him to standing in front of her being sentenced?

I'm curious if he maintains that he was guilty for the things he was sentenced for, and had remorse for them, or if it turns out that Jackson had him pegged that he was essentially perjuring himself (again) in his allocation statement.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ajax18 wrote:
canpakes wrote:
Maybe not the first but wouldn't they notify the suspect by the second year? Maybe you should listen to Manafort's book and hear his side of it? Then tell me why you see absolutely no partisan politics at work in this case.
You’re reading what boils down to a PR campaign - and revenue generator - for Manafort. I’d guess that he would ‘tell’ you what will make him appear either innocent or ignorant of what was happening.

But, given that the items in the indictment occur over a roughly decade-long span and involve dozens and dozens of transactions totaling more than $18 million in funds channeled though multiple offshore accounts over 6 of those years, are you believing that Manafort had no knowledge of how his $18 million was being routed, or that he had no idea that this activity through offshore accounts might not all be completely legit?

From the earlier post:
(Manafort and Gates), who pleaded not guilty, are charged with setting up offshore bank accounts and making wire transfers from them to directly pay for goods, services and real estate in the United States. They are said to have done this without disclosing their foreign bank accounts or paying taxes on the income. The indictment lists more than 30 domestic and foreign entities that were involved in the plan.

Over a period of six years, the indictment indicates, Mr. Manafort made transfers totaling $6.4 million for real estate and more than $12 million for personal goods and services like clothing, vehicles and home improvement.

Total $18.5 million
Source: Federal court documents

In 2012, Mr. Manafort made wire transfers from the offshore accounts to purchase three properties in New York and Virginia, the charges say. The three homes and a fourth in the Hamptons are listed in the indictment as subject to forfeiture if he is charged with money laundering:

- Condo in the SoHo neighborhood of Manhattan.
- Brownstone in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn.
- House in Arlington, Va.
- House in the Hamptons, N.Y.

When Mr. Manafort later took out mortgages on two of these properties to obtain cash in the United States, he defrauded the institutions that loaned the money so he could borrow more at better rates, according to the indictment.

Like why was his bail higher than John Goddy and why was an allegedly nonviolent white collar criminal held in solitary confinement for 2 years? Do you think Manafort and Flynn met financial ruin just to protect Trump?
Are you talking about John Gotti, the mobster?

He was indicted in 1991, two years (there’s that two years of yours) after the last W2 referenced within his indictment. This was also 25 years prior to Manafort’s case, and the charge for Gotti was that he received $211,182 in unreported compensation between ‘84 and ‘89. Comparing the two (for what it’s worth), that’s not quite the same scale as Manafort’s $18 million in possibly laundered money. Anyhow, he was sentenced to jail for life because he had a few other charges against him in that timeframe, including racketeering and conspiracy to commit murder. I’m not sure how you are preferring to compare the two.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:05 pm
ajax18 wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:57 pm

When speaking about Jackson, does he touch on his apology for his crimes, and everything that he had done that led him to standing in front of her being sentenced?

I'm curious if he maintains that he was guilty for the things he was sentenced for, and had remorse for them, or if it turns out that Jackson had him pegged that he was essentially perjuring himself (again) in his allocation statement.
Ok I've read a little further. Gates cut a deal with Weissman. Gates told Manafort they had nothing to hide while knowing how much he was stealing from Manafort. Manafort admitted he should have overseen Gates more tightltly. But a business requires you to trust people working for you to an extent. This was what Manafort took responsibility for.

Judge Ellis told Weissman to his face that he knew Weissman cared nothing about Manafort's tax returns in 2006. Weissman made a deal with Gates to get Manafort. Weissman never showed up in Ellis's courtroom again. He only came to left leaning Obama appointed, Trump hating Amy Berman Jackson's courtroom. Weissman thought he could then cut a deal with Manafort to take down Trump. Mueller was already suffering from dementia at this point. Weissman never got Trump because there was never any Russian collusion. These were the dominoes this board pined to see fall for the first two years of Trump's presidency. Now it makes sense hearing Manafort's side that he wasn't allowed to tell at the time.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

What is the critical polling data that Gates gave Konstantin Kiminiek about the 2016 election? Why was it so treasonous? I don't understand.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

ajax18 wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:17 pm
Ok I've read a little further. Gates cut a deal with Weissman. Gates told Manafort they had nothing to hide while knowing how much he was stealing from Manafort. Manafort admitted he should have overseen Gates more tightltly. But a business requires you to trust people working for you to an extent. This was what Manafort took responsibility for.

Judge Ellis told Weissman to his face that he knew Weissman cared nothing about Manafort's tax returns in 2006. Weissman made a deal with Gates to get Manafort. Weissman never showed up in Ellis's courtroom again. He only came to left leaning Obama appointed, Trump hating Amy Berman Jackson's courtroom. Weissman thought he could then cut a deal with Manafort to take down Trump. Mueller was already suffering from dementia at this point. Weissman never got Trump because there was never any Russian collusion. These were the dominoes this board pined to see fall for the first two years of Trump's presidency. Now it makes sense hearing Manafort's side that he wasn't allowed to tell at the time.
So his position now is that he was lying in his allocation statement to Judge Amy Jackson?

I dunno... after a while of someone lying... it's pretty hard to believe that *this* time is the one when they are really telling the truth. Particularly when each *this* time is as self-serving (if not more-so) than the last.