Republicans in Disarray

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Republicans in Disarray

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

What is it with Republicunts and this balloon that has them acting dumber than usual?

Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

honorentheos wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:03 am
For context it is important to consider smooth operation of government engenders stability while this kind of chaos opens the door for intentional destabilizing elements to assert themselves in disproportionate ways. The Weimar Republic didn't disappear overnight...
Bumping.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Good catch.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Republican senators fear House chaos reflects poorly on GOP and undermines their ability to govern
From CNN's Sam Fossum and Manu Raju

GOP senators expressed concerns Wednesday that the paralysis in the House after eight hardliner Republicans joined with Democrats to oust Rep. Kevin McCarthy from the speakership reflects poorly on the party and undermines their ability to govern.

Senators also criticized the motion to vacate mechanism that gave Rep. Matt Gaetz the power to force a vote on ousting McCarthy.

Here's what some senators told CNN:

Sen. Kevin Cramer: “I think it makes the House Republican rebels look foolish. They look unserious. I think they look like they're more interested in fighting than governing." He added that “the rules are set up to make a Speaker fail … and this was a good example of how much power it gave to too few people.”

Sen. John Cornyn: “It’s not an attractive picture, we’ve got to do better." He later added that what’s happening in the House has “pretty much guaranteed we’re going to be looking at another CR (continuing resolution) on November 17.”

Sen. Lisa Murkowski, a moderate Republican, also highlighted the House’s “very real and very immediate challenges.” She told CNN: “We in Congress have some work to do to restore the trust in this institution called Congress." Murkowski also said that the Senate must respond to the chaos in the House by moving their appropriations bills forward.

Sen. Mike Rounds said that the hardliners who broke away to oust the Speaker “need to recognize” that the Speaker must have the power to negotiate with the other side of the aisle, especially in divided government. “Folks that ran as Republicans have to decide whether or not they want to act as a majority or act as a Republican party and a populist party,” Rounds said. “So now the question is, will the populists come back into the Republican fold?”
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Congressional supplicants of the Cult of Trump want their glorious leader to be the new House Speaker.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Manetho
Valiant B

Post by Manetho »

Moksha wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:39 am
Congressional supplicants of the Cult of Trump want their glorious leader to be the new House Speaker.
A couple are actually making the attempt. But although the speaker doesn't have to be a member of the House, apparently there's a rule that the speaker can't be under indictment for a crime with a potential sentence of more than two years' prison time. And of course Trump now fails that criterion quite spectacularly.

The dysfunction is terrible for the country, but it does make fools of those who are causing it. Some days I think if it weren't for schadenfreude, I'd have no freude at all.
Morley
God
Location: Raphael, Saint Catherine of Alexandria, 1507–1509 (detail)

Post by Morley »

Manetho wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:20 pm
Some days I think if it weren't for schadenfreude, I'd have no freude at all.
well put
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Manetho wrote:
Moksha wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:39 am
A couple are actually making the attempt. But although the speaker doesn't have to be a member of the House, apparently there's a rule that the speaker can't be under indictment for a crime with a potential sentence of more than two years' prison time. And of course Trump now fails that criterion quite spectacularly.

The dysfunction is terrible for the country, but it does make fools of those who are causing it. Some days I think if it weren't for schadenfreude, I'd have no freude at all.
.ha!
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Manetho wrote:
Is there a way for the Congressional Cult of Trump to get around this?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Manetho wrote:The dysfunction is terrible for the country, but it does make fools of those who are causing it
Maybe. Maybe over time. It's just that so much of what non-rr-extremists consider making a fool of someone is a badge of honor for rr-extremists.

I don't have an exact psychological explanation, but a couple random examples: many, many years ago I was at a friend's house and some tv documentary came on about the KKK. In the few minutes I watched, the leader of this group, I think the GW, got up to the pulpit to address the crowd. He seemed really young to be the leader. Anyway, he started off with a racist poem he wrote. It didn't just suck because it was racist, it was just like, 5th grade rhyming with no meter; he had to speed up or pause to barely make it work out. And it wasn't out of any irony or anything, the poem content was totally serious and he was reading very seriously. But somehow, the fact that he's doing this televised, you'd think it's a major embarrassment but for his audience it's a badge of honor. I suppose I think of this example because it was ~2003 maybe? Pre social media.

Another example would be a Trump lawyer getting on TV and ranting and knowing nothing about the law, or incriminating Trump, or making a horrible legal argument. Everything left social media reactors highlight as a total failure or embarrassment is just the opposite for the rr's. Something along the lines of conspicuously disregarding convention or being tribal / racist or whatever to a fault. I don't have an explanation. But it's there; failure after failure after failure for the rr's is all the more credibility for them.