Republicans in Disarray

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
canpakes
God

Re: Republicans in Disarray

Post by canpakes »

Moksha wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:51 am
Vice President Kamala Harris would become President. If the Vice President was unavailable, Republicans would hurry and elect Donald Trump as Speaker.
Don’t give them any ideas.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Round 14 results: McCarthy is one vote short. Tons of drama. Rogers tried to physically go after Gaetz. Lots of hot tempers. Jordon got 2. Biggs got 2. Two voted present.

Motion to adjourn until noon Monday.

15 minute vote by electronic device.

Pandamonium

Vote is proceeding on party lines, meaning the motion should pass.

Spoke too soon. Two no votes from Rs and about 20 are waiting until the last minute to vote.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Round 15...
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

honorentheos wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:46 am
Round 15...
That was the wildest vote I’ve seen. Most of the holdouts voted yes in the last couple minutes. When the last vote was cast, The yes votes were 2 ahead. Then, as the clock ticked down to zero, one R changed from yes to no. Exact tie, so motion fails.

When the House votes by electronic device, you can see the results in real time. The vote is timed, but members can switch votes until the closed the vote. Once it was clear the vote would fail, Rs started changing their votes from yes to no. The clerk left the vote open until people were done changing their votes. The final result wasn’t close.

From the early votes, it looks like a deal got done during the vote on the motion to adjourn, which may explain the shift to no at the end.

Biggs voted present
Boebert voted present

This may be a done deal.

Crane voted present
Gaetz voted present

Our long national nightmare is over. One of the Rs who gave a nominating speech today explained there would be no further Disarray because this week has taught Rs how to govern. So, rest assured that the House will run smoothly for the rest of the term.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:56 am
honorentheos wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:46 am
Round 15...
That was the wildest vote I’ve seen. Most of the holdouts voted yes in the last couple minutes. When the last vote was cast, The yes votes were 2 ahead. Then, as the clock ticked down to zero, one R changed from yes to no. Exact tie, so motion fails.

When the House votes by electronic device, you can see the results in real time. The vote is timed, but members can switch votes until the closed the vote. Once it was clear the vote would fail, Rs started changing their votes from yes to no. The clerk left the vote open until people were done changing their votes. The final result wasn’t close.

From the early votes, it looks like a deal got done during the vote on the motion to adjourn, which may explain the shift to no at the end.

Biggs voted present
Boebert voted present

This may be a done deal.

Crane voted present
Gaetz voted present

Our long national nightmare is over. One of the Rs who gave a nominating speech today explained there would be no further Disarray because this week has taught Rs how to govern. So, rest assured that the House will run smoothly for the rest of the term.
Yeah, the vote to adjourn was the most boring yet dramatic vote I've seen. It seemed ready to pass and I was about to turn it off when it jumped back to 217-217. Unless someone changes their vote it looks like it's over, though. Good old January 6 and the US House.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Rogers tried to physically go after Gaetz.
I wish the sound engineers had been more Hollywood than C-SPAN. I wanted to hear the totality of what was said. I bet McCarthy wishes the justice system had not been lax in its case against Gaetz.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Looks final.

It's final. Now for the question regarding what concessions were given so that the holdouts stood down?
hauslern
Bishop

Post by hauslern »

Well it is all over now. I wonder how many investigations they are going to waste time on? Fauci? Hunter Biden? Any bill they create will not get through the Senate and Biden can veto them. Will they stop aid to Ukraine? Putin will love that. He mentions China of course "the communist party of China" that is red meat to the right.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

hauslern wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:53 am
Well it is all over now. I wonder how many investigations they are going to waste time on? Fauci? Hunter Biden?
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

honorentheos wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:29 am
Looks final.

It's final. Now for the question regarding what concessions were given so that the holdouts stood down?
CNN:
But with less than a minute left to go in the vote, Gaetz moved toward the front of the chamber, grabbing a red index card to change his vote on adjournment. Gaetz walked toward McCarthy, and the two briefly exchanged words. McCarthy then raised his hand and yelled out, “One more!” as he triumphantly walked toward the front of the chamber to change his vote, too. It was the GOP leader’s final negotiation capping an emotional roller coaster over the course of four days as he was held hostage by a narrow faction of his conference. Dozens of Republicans followed McCarthy and Gaetz to defeat the adjournment measure, and McCarthy’s victory, at last, was at hand.

The six Republican holdouts all voted present on the 15th ballot, giving McCarthy a 216-212 victory to end the longest speaker’s race since 1859. Rep. Tom Emmer, one of McCarthy’s top deputies, went up and down the aisles telling Republicans on the House floor not to clap for Gaetz or Rep. Lauren Boebert when they announced their votes, like they had for other holdouts who had flipped to McCarthy earlier in the day.

Asked why he reversed course on McCarthy, Gaetz said, “I ran out of things I could even imagine to ask for.”