Republicans in Disarray

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Republicans in Disarray

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

I heard George Santos is eminently qualified to serve as the GOP Speaker. 🤡 🎪

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

House Republicans tonight be like...
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Some of McCarthy’s opponents have teased this week that they have a hidden alternative candidate to McCarthy that they say will become apparent after the first vote for Speaker on Tuesday. Rep. Bob Good (R-Va.) suggested on Fox News on Monday that the group had refrained from publicly naming the alternative candidate to shield them from “attacks and retaliation.”

But Crenshaw said the far-right lawmakers were floating the idea of a McCarthy alternative just to continue to garner media attention.

“They keep acting like they’ve got somebody in the wings — they’re just waiting,” Crenshaw said. “They’re like children … you know why they say it like that? Because they want you to interview them again.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/3796476-ho ... -childish/
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:41 pm
Is it good? Is it bad? I have no idea. I think it's probably bad for Rs because it shows the emperor has no clothes.
Of course this is bad for the Republicans. Their one true victory during the post-trump era was supposedly "taking control" of the House, and this is what it has come to. What a complete crap show. Yesterday Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was being interviewed on MSNBC and I got the sense she was holding back laughter at the debacle, even saying that it could come to a point when McCarthy will start trying to make deals with Democrats just to get their votes.

The House has become nothing but an impotent body now that the Republicans are "in control." And that won't be forgotten during the 2024 election. At some point the R's have to realize this and start acting like rational human beings, drop all their MAGA rhetoric, drop their promises to impeach, investigate, agree to place Dems on committees, etc.

https://www.msnbc.com/alex-wagner-tonig ... 9226949548
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

honorentheos wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:38 am
But Crenshaw said the far-right lawmakers were floating the idea of a McCarthy alternative just to continue to garner media attention.
Rep. George Santos. He is the embodiment of Republican values and ethics.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Welcome to Day 2 of Republicans in Disarray. The House has been called to order, and the Chaplain is giving the opening prayer. She's asking God to give the members a hand. Good luck with that.

First move: Stefanik (R-NY) raises a point of order that a quorum is not present. The triggers a 15 minute vote by electronic device to determine whether a quorum is present. [My mistake -- it was done by manual count]

ROUND FOUR -- FIGHT!!!

(1) McCarthy, nominated byWisconsin Republican Representative Mike Gallagher.

(2) Hakim Jeffries

(3) Byron Donalds (R-Florida), nominated by Chip Roy (R-Texas).

Donalds was the rep who changed his vote from McCarthy to Jordan in Round 3.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

The mango Mussolini has weighed in:

This’ll be interesting to see whether or not he’s still an influential figure within the GOP.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Shocking Results in Round 4!!!!!!!!!

Not really. The 20 Jordan votes in Round 3 went to Donalds. One rep who had voted for McCarthy in the past rounds voted "Present." A "present" vote is treated the same as not being present for purposes of determining whether anyone received over 50% of the votes. There are 435 reps, but one passed away and has not yet been replaced. Everyone else is present, so the total has been 434 in each round, requiring 218 votes for anyone to become speaker By voting present, that number is reduced for Round 4 to 433, requiring one fewer vote to become Speaker in Round 4.

Exciting, right?

ROUND 5 -- FIGHT!!!!!

(1) McCarthy, nominated by Warren Davidson (R-OH), a member of the Freedom Caucus.

It's all about the tools. Give us the tools so we can trust leadership and verify. Also, give Jordan his own witch hunt committee on weaponizing government. Not surprisingly, the demanded rules reform does not include repeal of the Hastert rule. The pitch: McCarthy has promised the Freedom Caucus so much of what it wants that continuing to hold out is a risk of going backwards.

I don't think these guys have clearly thought through the implications of giving Ds the power to force a vote to vacate the chair any time they want.

(2) Jeffries

(3) Donalds, nominated by Boebert (R-CO)

Doesn't trust McCarthy because he fought with the Freedom Caucus instead of just rolling over. We will use our votes to get the leader we want.

Hmmm. She says that Trump telephoned the 20 holdouts and told them they needed to change their votes. Rep Boebert is disappointed by her favorite president.
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:42 pm
The mango Mussolini has weighed in:

This’ll be interesting to see whether or not he’s still an influential figure within the GOP.

- Doc
I think we have our answer. Boebert says Trump called the holdouts and told them they needed to get behind McCarthy. She very nicely gave him the single finger salute while nominating Donalds.
he/him

Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I don't think these guys have clearly thought through the implications of giving Ds the power to force a vote to vacate the chair any time they want.
thanks for clarifying that. I couldn't figure out what they were talking about -- I think that one or more of the "freedom" crowd actually wants that number to be one. It makes no sense. I assumed somehow it allowed only R's only to vote, but that made no sense either.