Republicans in Disarray

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Republicans in Disarray

Post by Res Ipsa »

The first vote for Speaker of the House has concluded, with no one receiving a majority of votes. The person who received the most votes was Hakim Jeffries (D). Nineteen (R)s voted for someone other than Kevin McCarthy. He needs to get 15 of those votes to become speaker.

Free buttered popcorn available in the lobby.

ETA: Gym Jordan received 6 votes. Biggs received 10.

Second round nominations:

(1) McCarthy (R), nominated by Gym Jordan.

He outlines the R agenda:

1) Pass "show" bills that can never become law.
2) Shut the government down unless the House Republican budget is passed
3) Witch hunts Investigations

Nice.

(2) Hakim Jeffries (D)

(3) Gym Jordan (R), nominated by Matt Gaetz. Gaetz uses Jordan's own fiery speech to argue that he should be elected speaker.

We're not through the C's in the roll call and Jordan has 5, which I think is enough to send us to round 3. The MAGAs Freedom Caucsusoids are playing it tough.

Results are not substantively different from the first round: Jeffries got the most votes. Still 19 Rs who voted against McCarthy, but all 19 voted for Jordan.

Third verse, same as first?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Vēritās
God

Re: Republicans in Disarray

Post by Vēritās »

I saw on Twitter that Republicans had all the metal detectors taken down. Wonder how many of our legislators are armed now.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Vēritās wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:44 pm
I saw on Twitter that Republicans had all the metal detectors taken down. Wonder how many of our legislators are armed now.

At least one always was. I think it was Bohbert. She simply used a different door.
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:50 pm
Vēritās wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:44 pm

At least one always was. I think it was Bohbert. She simply used a different door.
ROUND THREE -- FIGHT!!

(1) McCarthy, nominated by Steve Scalise.

(2) Jeffries

(3) Jim Jordan, nominated by Chip Roy (R-Texas)

We need change! Drain the swamp! Fix America! (outrage over the bill that avoided shutting down the government).

Once again, Jordon has enough votes to keep McCarthy from winning. Gonna need more popcorn.
he/him

Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Can someone explain what the issue is for the MAGA crowd? The three items outlined by Res, pass "show" bills, shut down the government, and sham investigations for Fox viewers seem right up their alley. McCarthy seems like a slimy, indecent man -- I don't see what the problem is.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Washington Examiner wrote:... it takes ‘weeks to capture a house’ ...
Nope - not about McCarthy - sorry - but about Ukraine:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/poli ... se-ukraine
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

At last!! Some movement on the third try: Jordan picked up a vote and McCarthy lost one.

ETA: The Rep that switched from McCarthy to Jordon was Byron Donalds (R-Florida).

FOURTH ROUND -- FIGHT!!

The irony is that it takes a majority of votes to adjourn, so Dem votes would be needed to adjourn. And McCarthy keeps saying he does not want to adjourn. So I guess the beatings will continue until the total improves.
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Gadianton wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:37 pm
Can someone explain what the issue is for the MAGA crowd? The three items outlined by Res, pass "show" bills, shut down the government, and sham investigations for Fox viewers seem right up their alley. McCarthy seems like a slimy, indecent man -- I don't see what the problem is.
It's not really the MAGA crowd: MTG, Jordan and others support McCarthy. As I understand the issue, McCarthy reigned in some of the proposed antics of the extremists over the last two years. He alienated just enough of them to create the current situation. The last straw may have been his cooperation to pass the funding bill last month -- the real hardcore types wanted to shut the government down over Christmas to get what they wanted in the bill.

It's a rare chance for Rs to experience what it's been like for the Ds in the Senate. When it's close, a small number of renegades can gum up the whole works (looking at you, Manchin... :lol: )
he/him

honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

I understand one of the major sticking points in the proposed House rules affecting support for McCarthy is over how many members are required to trigger a motion to vacate against the Speaker. The MAGA crowd want it to be one. McCarthy came down to five. Moderate Republicans are nervous that is too low. Most recently the threshold required a majority of the House.

Get the popcorn indeed.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Imma just be honest here. I have no idea why there’s a split, and why it’s a bad (?) thing if they can’t settle on a Speaker? I’ve never seen anything like this clown show so I just don’t get it, and I don’t even know if this is a bad thing for Americans? I’m genuinely confused by all of this.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.