Republicans in Disarray

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
honorentheos
God

Re: Republicans in Disarray

Post by honorentheos »

ajax18 wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:11 pm
The Right Wing "agenda" is what exactly?
MAGA, economic nationalism, and putting America first, that is what you've been fighting against since 2015. And somehow you've managed to twist MAGA into the equivalent of a swastika.
That's fair. I'm against what MAGA pushes for in undermining constitutional law and liberal democratic values, see the outcomes of economic nationalism as self destructive, and view the Trump brand as representing something akin to Nazism. If that's the right wing agenda, I'm against it and advocate actively so.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Ajax thinks he knows what the MAGA agenda is by reading headlines from Brietbart. But these "America First" slogans are just platitudes that mean nothing when what they actually do runs contrary to that. Trump paid more taxes in China than he did USA, but hey, "America first." Trump manufactures all of his Trump stamped clothing in China or Mexico, but hey, "America first." Trump humiliated America in Helsinki by siding with Putin in his blanket denials, but hey, "America first." Trump only banks with foreign entities so he can better hide his criminal activity, but hey, "America First."

After preaching about how their sole purpose is to focus on bringing down the federal deficit, the very first bill the House Republicans tried to pass would, if passed, increase the deficit by more than $100 billion. So why do they want to do it? Because it serves their wealthy constituents FIRST, those who want to keep getting away with skimming on their taxes. I mean for the love of God, why would anyone be afraid of IRS agents unless they're cheating on their taxes? Today's GOP is just an extension of America's white crime.

Watch Donald Trump explain to David Letterman that "people in Bangladesh need jobs too."

Because, you know. America first!
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

This Kangaroo House of MAGA nutjobs is already starting their first week off like a circus. Not only did they first try to pass a bill to defund the IRS, they've been doing all sorts of anti-abortion bills as well. What idiotic showboating.

“We learned nothing from the midterms if this is how we’re going to operate in the first week. Millions of women across the board were angry over overturning Roe v. Wade,” Rep. Nancy Mace (R-S.C.) told reporters on Tuesday. “What we’re doing this week is paying lip service to life. Nothing that we’re doing this week on protecting life is ever going to make it through the Senate.”
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Speaking of idiots showboating …

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/tr ... r-AA16ymgf

tl;dc - Trump chalks up another court loss, ordered to pay $1M for abusing the judicial system

From the article in case you possess a 🧠 and can actually focus for more than two seconds:
”Here, we are confronted with a lawsuit that should never have been filed, which was completely frivolous, both factually and legally, and which was brought in bad faith for an improper purpose,” Middlebrooks wrote, decrying what he called “abusive litigation tactics.”

In a blistering judgment, he said the case was “intended for a political purpose” and showed a “continuing pattern of misuse of the courts by Mr. Trump and his lawyers,” undermining the rule of law and diverting resources. “No reasonable lawyer would have filed it,” he added.
- Doc
Last edited by Doctor CamNC4Me on Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

'Stop With The Stupid': Ex-RNC Chair Fact-Checks Marjorie Taylor Greene On Debt

“She doesn’t know what the hell she’s talking about,” Michael Steele said of the conspiracy theorist lawmaker.

Michael Steele, former chair of the Republican National Committee, tore into Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) for insisting she wouldn’t vote to raise the debt limit.

The Treasury Department needs Congress to raise that limit so it can borrow money to pay off the country’s obligations. Democrats want a “clean” bill, increasing that limit with no strings attached, but Greene and other Republicans say they want major spending cuts in return.

“I for one will not sign a clean bill raising the debt limit,” Greene insisted during a Fox News interview.

House members do not “sign” bills, as MSNBC’s Stephanie Ruhle pointed out on Wednesday night, causing Steele to erupt.

“She doesn’t know what the hell she’s talking about,” he said in disbelief as Ruhle did a face-palm. “This woman has no clue.”

Steele took Greene to school:

“If you understand how this works, Marjorie, then you know that this is about bills that have already been created, not new spending. So this is not a spending question. This is just paying the damn credit card of the country for the $8 trillion your president ran up between 2016 and 2020. So stop with the stupid.”
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

It Would Be Nice If Republicans Would Actually Read A Bill

While President Joe Biden’s document drama puts him in a tricky political situation, let’s not lose sight of the Republican Party’s “to be continued” style of incompetent governance.

Looking back at their first two weeks running the House of Representatives, you have to conclude one of two things: Either Republicans are stupid, or they think their constituents are.

Voters sent a clear message in the midterms: We’re tired of “crazy.” We want bipartisanship, not extremism.

Moreover, supporters of abortion rights, angered by the Supreme Court’s unraveling of Roe v. Wade, turned out in droves and delivered several key elections for Democrats, according to CNN exit polling. Republicans surely would have liked to win some of those districts, no?

So, what happened? Week one: Republican extremists turned the speakership vote into Crazy Town.

Week two: Republicans passed a pair of anti-abortion bills and, in a real insult to everyone’s intelligence, voted to repeal tens of billions of dollars in IRS funding via the so-called Family and Small Business Taxpayer Protection Act. Consider this tweet from Rep. Ashley Hinson (R), of Iowa’s 2nd Congressional District:
xxxxxxx.jpg
xxxxxxx.jpg (16.88 KiB) Viewed 599 times
Look, you can have your opinion on abortion, and maybe you like the extremists, but can someone please read a bill? Or at least listen to some “Schoolhouse Rock”?

You have to love how these hoopleheads clamored for a rule requiring bills to be released at least 72 hours before a floor vote so lawmakers would have ample time to read them. At the same time, they had seven months to read the Inflation Reduction Act, but evidently couldn’t pencil that in. Passed in August, the act explains — justifies, really — its nearly $80 billion in IRS funding.

Incidentally, Democrats implemented that 72-hour rule in 2019 when Republicans rammed through a tax bill just hours after introducing a final version.

Hinson is probably just repeating what Republican leaders are saying now. Or what any Republican with a pulse was shrieking last summer. Or the howls of the campaign ads and political mailers you might have seen ahead of the November midterms: Eighty-seven thousand new IRS agents to audit small businesses and hard-working Americans!

Even seasoned Republicans like Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), who you’d think would know to read a bill, have been in full scaremongering mode, all deploying the same talking points.

Here’s the reality: The IRS is understaffed, overwhelmed and digitally dated. Thirty years ago, the IRS had 117,000 employees. Today, it has 78,000. It faces an expected wave of 50,000 retirements this decade. Its budget has been slashed by nearly 20% since 2010.

These circumstances have created a massive backlog. For example, according to the Treasury Department, nearly 200 million taxpayers called the IRS for assistance in the first half of 2021. There were 15,000 employees available to assist them. That’s one person for every 13,000 calls.

Funding from the Inflation Reduction Act aims to address these shortfalls by hiring 87,000 new IRS employees ― over the next 10 years, not all at once. And most of the hires will be to replace all those retirees.

So, dear Republican voter, did your favorite lawmaker explain any of that to you? No? Why not?

Will all the money go toward hiring IRS agents to audit taxpayers? Nope.

· $45.6 billion will go toward hiring more enforcement agents, shoring up legal support and investing in “investigative technology.”

· $25.3 billion will cover routine costs, like rent, facilities, printing and postage.

· $3 billion will go to customer services, such as prefiling assistance and education, and the possibility of creating a free direct e-file program.

· $5 billion will go toward modernizing the IRS’s business systems and customer service technology. Some agency computers still use programming language that dates back to the 1960s.

So, Republican voter: Why didn’t your favorite lawmakers explain that? Maybe they didn’t read the bill ― or reports from the Government Accountability Office, the Treasury Department, the Congressional Research Service or the Congressional Budget Office, or even a letter from Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen to the IRS commissioner, affirming these commitments ― which means they didn’t do their job. Maybe they’re just repeating someone else’s talking points. Maybe they’re stupid enough to believe those talking points ― or maybe they think you are. Maybe they think you’re too lazy to do your own research to learn what’s in the legislation.

Feel better?

Audits have declined most dramatically for the wealthy. For example: In 2012, the percentage of companies with at least $20 billion in assets subjected to audit was 93%. By 2020, it was just 38%.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/republic ... RK72cxNFks
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Something is amiss in America:

https://idahocapitalsun.com/2023/01/16/ ... -abortion/
He told the story of a person in Montana who wrote a book about how her stepfather raped her and forced her to have an abortion the first time she was pregnant and the second time she had the child.

“That child that she actually had proved to be incredibly cathartic for her and a huge blessing in her life,” he said.
-_-
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Speaking of idiots in disarray:

Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

The American nazi stooges right before WWII also used the term America First. It was a cover for their nazism just like it is now.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Moksha wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:48 pm
The American nazi stooges right before WWII also used the term America First. It was a cover for their nazism just like it is now.
I’m seeing Trump 2024 Take America Back banners going up in my town. That along with their AR-15 lapel pins gives me a pretty good idea where these chuckleheads are going.

- Doc