Wondering about Atheist Programs for Children

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Wondering about Atheist Programs for Children

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Our library in bumfart bumlandia is packed with activities. Here’s the teen homepage:

The childrens services are similar. Tack on school and extracurricular activities the children and teens in our area don’t lack for things to do, social activities, nor opportunities for personal growth. I don’t really understand KS’s premise for the topic.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

I think the OP is poorly worded. It assumes that atheists organize and deliver children's program...for what exactly? The question should've been inquiring if there are religion-free experiences for children and as you can see by the posts on this thread, KS, there are perhaps a majority of religion-free community experiences available.

One thing I wanted to mention is that in our area, there is a group that promotes sound environmental practices and contains a big organic type garden that might actually be a Hugelkultur garden, but I didn't take a moment to check before posting here. It was created for children and they have classes for children for all related topics.

It was developed and is run by one of my former students. 8-)

And that, my friends, is why you take the seeds out of the tomatoes during snack, let them dry, and plant them. :D

KS find a place to teach your children how to grow food. You may already doing it and if you are, keep it going!

p.s. Check your local Home Depot for classes for young builders. Try Lowes as well. And Hobby Lobby probably still has crafting, needle arts, and sewing classes for children including cake decorating using Wilton's products. Give it a shot! There are also community offerings in my area for cooking classes and food preparation by age. Offer these things to your children regardless of gender. I watch a youtuber whose son absolutely loves to sew and now has his own machine! And remember that sports are religion-free experiences as well!
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

KevinSim wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:29 am
The first and third Wednesday of each month my grandson (who my wife and I are raising) enjoys going to Activity Day for Boys, an hour of playing games in our church's cultural hall with a dozen boys roughly his age, facilitated by two adults who do a pretty good job of finding fun things for them to do. Do atheists have programs like this for their young children? I'm aware that the Unitarian Universalist Church often functions as a sort of church equivalent for atheists, so maybe there are programs for kids through them. Is there anything else?
I just wanted to follow up on this. kevinsims, I am having a very difficult time believing you don’t know how offensive this is. And if, by some some small chance you didn’t mean it to be offensive, then the level of naïveté exhibited here is monumental.

What exactly was your intent in making this post?
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Hey, nothing wrong with wanting the kids to grow up in a less neurosis-inducing environment where they can interact with their peers and develop positive ethics.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Sigh.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Marcus wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:49 am
... the level of naïveté exhibited here is monumental.
So, what's new?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

KevinSim wrote:
Do atheists have programs like this for their young children?
I don’t think that it’s something exclusive to ‘atheists’, but playing inside or outside with friends is something that happens. Our children routinely organize with their friends for imaginative activities that allow for their own initiative to construct varied scenarios and practice teamwork, socialization, creativity and fun, regardless of the weather or time of day.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

honorentheos wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:37 am
I'm collecting dues for our non-badminton playing league to fund the monthly not playing badminton event. Kids are welcome where they, too, can not play badminton in a safe environment.
If you didn’t pay your dues last month - or any month - does that mean that you’re current on your dues?
Yeah. I'm thinking do summer camps count if they have no religious expectation? Or do they only count if they require proof of atheism? Chess club? Little League?
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

KevinSim wrote:
Do atheists have programs like this for their young children? I'm aware that the Unitarian Universalist Church often functions as a sort of church equivalent for atheists, so maybe there are programs for kids through them.
Don't let these naysayers insinuate that LDS people should have some understanding or sensitivity to other faith traditions. Have you considered Band Camps?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Moksha wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:30 pm
KevinSim wrote:
Do atheists have programs like this for their young children? I'm aware that the Unitarian Universalist Church often functions as a sort of church equivalent for atheists, so maybe there are programs for kids through them.
Don't let these naysayers insinuate that LDS people should have some understanding or sensitivity to other faith traditions. Have you considered Band Camps?
:lol: It’s pretty clear ks’s strategy backfired on him here. He thought his variation on Nelson’s obnoxious “where will you go? What will you do?” might get him somewhere, and it clearly failed.
Nelson wrote: Where will you go to find people who live by a prescribed set of values and standards that you share and want to pass along to your children and grandchildren?

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... o?lang=eng
Wow. What arrogance. That’s what the lds church teaches, sadly.