Bible translation preferences

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Bible translation preferences

Post by Jersey Girl »

Hey Folks,

I was just thinking about this before turning in for the night. I engage in Bible Study and do daily devotions. Sometimes I skip around between the two. Sometimes I skip days entirely. Sometimes I just read what I want to go over. Anyway, regardless what study tool I am using, I always revert back to the KJV that I was raised up on. It's reflex. I'll stop in the middle of study and look up the same verses in the KJV. It's just more familiar to me and I'm used to the language.

I know that many or most here probably don't read the Bible. But if you do, I have similar questions for differing sides of the house here.

1. If you are ex-LDS and want to reference the Bible or simply look something up, do you find yourself reading from the KJV as you did when you were LDS, is there another version you use, or does it matter to you what version you use?

2. If you are a mainstream type Christian believer. What versions of the Bible are your preference? If you, like me, were raised up on the KJV and now use a different version...how did you decide on a different version? Did the new version seem strange to you at first? Does it still?

3. If you are an active LDS believer do you ever use other versions besides the KJV? If so, what are they and do you think it makes any difference in your reading and interpretation of what you read? Do you make comparisons between the two?

These are serious questions. I'm going to ask you guys from the get, not to post disparaging comments or mockery in this thread. Please let folks answer the questions put forth...if anyone actually does. If you want to make disparaging or mocking comments, please do so in a new topic thread of your own and feel free to reference the posts from this thread.

If there are any posts after this one.

Jersey
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
msnobody
Prophet

Re: Bible translation preferences

Post by msnobody »

Like you, I was raised with KJV. I’m not sure if there were other versions around at the time. Oh, boy, I’m getting old!

I participated in Bible Study Fellowship https://www.bsfinternational.org/ for a number of years where the NIV (sometimes jokingly referred to as the Nearly Inspired Version) was used. Although the NIV was used, you could use any version you wanted to. My NIV is all marked up with notes from BSF.

My Bible app is ESV. We moved just over a year ago and I can’t find my hard copy ESV. So, if I want to read from a hard copy, I go to my NIV.

If I search a verse online, sometimes it would be from a site that has several versions listed together.

I think I prefer ESV. NASB would be another good choice as well. It is my understanding that there are certain verses in certain versions that are better renderings, but don’t ask me which ones. 🙃

So, I would say that I have verses memorized in various versions. Sometimes I will refer to a Greek or Hebrew lexicon. I don’t think I’ve had any problems going between the different versions.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Depends. I refer to the KJV when I want to reference a verse for purposes of prose or poetry. It's familiar and has an aesthetic.

If I am looking for text out of interest in meaning and purpose, I tend to make use of the comparative Bible websites to get perspective on the text.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

msnobody wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:40 pm
Like you, I was raised with KJV. I’m not sure if there were other versions around at the time. Oh, boy, I’m getting old!
I hear that! The KJV seems to have gotten it's fair share of criticism but it's what I prefer. Always.
I participated in Bible Study Fellowship https://www.bsfinternational.org/ for a number of years where the NIV (sometimes jokingly referred to as the Nearly Inspired Version) was used. Although the NIV was used, you could use any version you wanted to. My NIV is all marked up with notes from BSF.

My Bible app is ESV. We moved just over a year ago and I can’t find my hard copy ESV. So, if I want to read from a hard copy, I go to my NIV.

If I search a verse online, sometimes it would be from a site that has several versions listed together.
I search on similar websites where you can select a version. Have also used the lexicons for word searches. The daily devotion I've been using for about 2 years now is ESV. I always, always, look up the scripture in KJV.
I think I prefer ESV. NASB would be another good choice as well. It is my understanding that there are certain verses in certain versions that are better renderings, but don’t ask me which ones. 🙃
I'll take your word for that!
So, I would say that I have verses memorized in various versions. Sometimes I will refer to a Greek or Hebrew lexicon. I don’t think I’ve had any problems going between the different versions.
Memorization was an emphasis when I was younger. Memorizing the books of the Bible in order of course. We used to have memory verse contests. I won them. Also 'sword drills' in worship service that familiarized you with the chronology of the books of the Bible. Every single verse or portion of scripture I know from memory is KJV.

I am going to take a break from the daily devotional. I have a Bible study book that I am also going to skip out on for the time being. I was happy to get it but for some reason it didn't resonate with me when I started it. I'm keeping it for another time. It's called Get Out of Your Head: Stopping the Spiral of Toxic Thoughts by Jennie Allen. I bought it at the height of the pandemic. No surprises there!

My plan is to read the book of John. Just read it for myself and my own interest. I've read the whole Bible many times. I feel compelled to go through John in it's entirety right now. Thanks for your reply! :)
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

honorentheos wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:18 pm
Depends. I refer to the KJV when I want to reference a verse for purposes of prose or poetry. It's familiar and has an aesthetic.

If I am looking for text out of interest in meaning and purpose, I tend to make use of the comparative Bible websites to get perspective on the text.
I could not possibly agree with you more regarding the aesthetic language of the KJV and it's familiarity, honor! It could be because I was raised up on it, but my head is somehow tuned to it. It resonates.

I use the comparative Bible websites, too. Also have used Jewish websites for the Torah based on interest. The ESV of the Bible seems to be the "thing" right now. It's similar to the KJV but really, for me it doesn't hold a candle to the KJV.

Thanks for your reply! :)

Slava Ukraini!
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Revised Standard Version is what I have used for many years now. I have a NIV and King James but do not often use them. My copy of NIV is poorly bound and has loose pages.I like a Bible with good study notes. That is notes on text and history not interpretation. I have a New Oxford Annotated Bible and a Harper Collins Study Bible.

I remember when I first encountered the NIV I liked the difference of it being stripped of the sound of Elizabethan English. However the Revised Standard which I actually use stays closer to the KJ which is its starting point.(or my RSV has more interesting and informative notes)
Brack
Deacon

Post by Brack »

I like the 1995 edition of the NASB.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

I'm guessing a "daily devotional" is a short written spiritual or inspirational message followed by scripture references for further study?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

When I want to look up a Biblical reference, I'll often refer to a couple of translations. I usually include the KJV because that's the version I was raised on. But I'll also read one or more of the more modern translations.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Brack wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:03 pm
I like the 1995 edition of the NASB.
Bracki what do you like about it?

Slava Ukraini!