Res Ipsa vs Res Ipsa. Two people trapped in the same body

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Res Ipsa vs Res Ipsa. Two people trapped in the same body

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:59 pm
Did you read the entire research paper in question?

- Doc
It’s ludicrous. He can’t even keep straight what the paper says and what Professor Kipping said in the video. I stayed early on that it’s important to differentiate what a paper says from arguments made based on the paper. For example, the paper describes the sun as being normal or typical in terms of activity. That’s all it says.

The 1/3 number comes from Kipping’s video. Figure 3 in the paper is a graph that shows the frequency distribution for the whole sample, the periodic sub sample, and what’s labeled “noisy sun.” The graph does not show the distribution of the subsample of the non periodic starts — the stars that most resemble the earth. And the graph’s caption and the text use the graph to illustrate that the periodic starts almost entirely make up the “active” part of the total sample’s distribution. Nothing says anything about where the sun falls in the non periodic distribution.

What Dr. Kipping did is made an argument based on figure 3. Even though figure 3 says nothing about where the sun fits in the distribution of non periodic stars, you can subtract the distribution of the periodic subsample from the distribution of the the total sample and, what’s left, is the distribution of the periodic subsample.

If you look at figure 3, it’s not that hard to see what the distribution would look like. And, at least by eyeball, Kipping’s estimate looks reasonable to me — especially for an informational video for the public.

Now, lets ignore revisionist history and look at the claim DT made that set this whole kerfuffle of:
doubtingthomas wrote: 3. Only about five percent of stars are solar-like. To make things crazier, "The Sun is less active than other solar-like stars". That means only about 0.5% of stars are truly sun-like.
https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2020S ... R/abstract
The link is to the abstract, which is a strong indication that DT didn’t read the paper. But that his last sentence contradicts both what the paper says and what Dr. Kipping says. That’s because he wrongly equated the term “solar-like,” which is a specifically defined term in the paper, with the specific description used by Kipping: “quiet sun-like.”

Had he read the paper, he would have understood that the title and Dr. Kipping were talking about two different types of stars. How he got from 5% to .5% is beyond me. If he used Kipping’s estimate, the answer is 1.5%. And the paper doesn’t make a percentage estimate comparable to Dr. Kipping’s.

My point, which I have made in other discussions, is that DT habitually misuses snippets from scientific papers because he doesn’t take the time to read and understand the paper. That’s exactly what he did here. Even worse, he claimed to be just saying what Dr. Kipping said at the same time he was trying to deny or discredit the very evidence Kipping was basing his claim on. As late as last night, he still was insisting that Kipping never said anything about the non periodic stars (which was the subsample of “quiet sun-like stars.”

Maybe he finally read the whole paper in the last 24 hours — he read enough to drop a name. :roll: But it’s clear that he still doesn’t understand the paper, Dr. Kipping’s inference, or much of what I posted. If he did, he wouldn’t have posted a list of “contradictions” that aren’t contradictory at all.

I suppose I could rub his nose in whole thing by quoting all his ridiculous assertions he has made about the paper in a big list, but that seems like overkill. And kinda mean.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:28 am
Your reputation precedes you DT. You need to provide full quotes w links if you want anyone to read this. Your semi-quotes are dubious, at best.
He’s doing just what he does with scientific papers, ignores context. He’s conflating comments I made about what the paper says and Kipping’s comment based on an inference from a graph in the paper. And there is nothing contradictory between saying the sun is a normal member of a group and being in the bottom 3rd. His claims at this point are simply disingenuous personal malice.
he/him

Morley
God
Location: Raphael, Saint Catherine of Alexandria, 1507–1509 (detail)

Post by Morley »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:41 am
Had he read the paper, he would have understood that the title and Dr. Kipping were talking about two different types of stars.
I'm guessing that he tried. I'm pretty sure that Thomas won't have understood the paper had he read it. I'm basing that on other discussions that he's been involved in here.

edit: Apologies, Thomas.
Last edited by Morley on Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:38 am
Marcus wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:31 am

Lol. This is what I meant about your reputation preceding you. Stop with the ad hom and document your quotes. If you can.

Stop with the Ad hom? LOL but that's what you do for a living. Your only purpose is to attack the people you perceive as sexist. All you do is criticize or attack.

"Or, in there words, the sun was typical of the vast majority of stars in the combined sample." - Res Ipsa
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=156843&start=40

"He correctly states that the sun is quieter than average"
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=156843&start=180

There, I won't do all the work for you. You know where to find them.
When I click on those links, I see posts by DT, not me. Is there a mistake in the links, or do I need to turn it on and off again?
he/him

doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:45 am

I think the first step in reconciling who is right and who is wrong is for you to read the entire paper. Wouldn’t you agree?

- Doc
True, but an expert read it for me.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:41 am
As late as last night, he still was insisting that Kipping never said anything about the non periodic stars (which was the subsample of “quiet sun-like stars.”
Kipping didn't explain that quiet stars (non-periodic) are stars without a known rotation rate.

Kipping did say, "they showed that the sun's typical activity places it in the lowest third of quiet sun-like stars[see Figure 3]", but you initially said, "If observed by Kepler, the sun would appear to be a "rather normal star of the non-periodic sample."

I am telling you this is now all a mess and many things that you say that I said are not true.
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:32 am
… this is now all a mess and many things l… I said are not true.
I edited the above, until it seemed right.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Res Ipsa, as two people trapped in the same body, are you certain that when your worth is weighed on the scale against the collected works of Dr. Daniel C. Peterson that you still do not need that added duck to balance things out? I'm thinking that the Brethren would choose Scrooge McDuck, but it is your choice.

Doubting Thomas, remember the words of Dobby Copernicus, "Star light, star bright, first star I see tonight I wish I may, I wish I might have this wish I wish tonight".
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Joshua
Nursery

Post by Joshua »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:38 am
doubtingthomas wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:32 am
… this is now all a mess and many things l… I said are not true.
Are you not the one complaining about Binger editing post?
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Joshua wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:52 am
Marcus wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:38 am
Are you not the one complaining about Binger editing post?
Lol. Keep up.