Res Ipsa vs Res Ipsa. Two people trapped in the same body

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Res Ipsa vs Res Ipsa. Two people trapped in the same body

Post by Res Ipsa »

Moksha wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:23 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:40 pm
The changes in crazed Kirk and just too abrupt.
I think Shatner was tapping into his character seeing gremlins on the wing of an airplane in an earlier Twilight Zone episode. Method acting, or something like it.

... middle age stars are quieter than younger stars...
None of that hip hop for them. Wait, did I miss the context? Where's my maths?
Under your left flipper.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:36 pm
If you will show me where I made a mistake, I'll happily fess up to it. But the "mistakes" you've posited so far are based of your own misunderstandings of Kipping, Reinhold 2020, or me.
"As for titles, I dunno. " - Res Ipsa
Also Res Ipsa, "Once you understand how the paper's authors define their terms, the title of the paper is not misleading in the slightest."

One of your biggest mistakes is your claim that I misunderstood what both Kipping and the authors concluded. Kipping concluded, "we really do seem to have a quiet home star" and the authors concluded, "[2nd interpretation] the Sun did not exhibit its full range of activity over the last 140 years", meaning that the sun is currently unusual.

It doesn't matter who is right about the methods and the small details, what matters is the conclusion, which I never misrepresented.

You keep ignoring that and will never admit your mistake.
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:45 am

I think the first step in reconciling who is right and who is wrong is for you to read the entire paper. Wouldn’t you agree?

- Doc

Read this and tell me who's right.
doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:30 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
If you will show me where I made a mistake, I'll happily fess up to it. But the "mistakes" you've posited so far are based of your own misunderstandings of Kipping, Reinhold 2020, or me.
"As for titles, I dunno. " - Res Ipsa
Also Res Ipsa, "Once you understand how the paper's authors define their terms, the title of the paper is not misleading in the slightest."

One of your biggest mistakes is your claim that I misunderstood what both Kipping and the authors concluded. Kipping concluded, "we really do seem to have a quiet home star" and the authors concluded, "[2nd interpretation] the Sun did not exhibit its full range of activity over the last 140 years", meaning that the sun is currently unusual.

It doesn't matter who is right about the methods and the small details, what matters is the conclusion, which I never misrepresented.

You keep ignoring that and will never admit your mistake.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Morley wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:55 am
I'm pretty sure that Thomas won't have understood the paper had he read it.
I've read it, but not all of it.

Here's what I said
doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:02 am
3. Only about five percent of stars are solar-like. To make things crazier, "The Sun is less active than other solar-like stars".
https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2020S ... R/abstract'
Here's what Kipping concluded, "we really do seem to have a quiet home star"

Here's what the authors concluded, "[2nd interpretation] the Sun did not exhibit its full range of activity over the last 140 years", meaning that the sun is currently unusual.

How am I badly misrepresenting Kipping or the authors?
Morley wrote:
I'm basing that on other discussions that he's been involved in here.
I don't claim to be perfect.
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:39 pm
Morley wrote:
I'm pretty sure that Thomas won't have understood the paper had he read it. I'm basing that on other discussions that he's been involved in here.
I've read it, but not all of it. What makes you think that?

Here's what I said
doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:02 am
3. Only about five percent of stars are solar-like. To make things crazier, "The Sun is less active than other solar-like stars".
Here's what Kipping concluded, "we really do seem to have a quiet home star"

Here's what the authors concluded, "[2nd interpretation] the Sun did not exhibit its full range of activity over the last 140 years", meaning that the sun is currently unusual.

How am I badly misrepresenting Kipping or the authors?
No, that's not what you said. Now you're falsifying your own quotes.
doubtingthomas wrote:3. Only about five percent of stars are solar-like. To make things crazier, "The Sun is less active than other solar-like stars". That means only about 0.5% of stars are truly sun-like.
viewtopic.php?p=2817614#p2817614

You omitted the boldface sentence from what you actually said without using ellipses. To do so, you had to intentionally delete the sentence you don't want to talk about. That's flat out dishonest.
he/him

doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:50 pm
You omitted the boldface sentence from what you actually said without using ellipses. To do so, you had to intentionally delete the sentence you don't want to talk about. That's flat out dishonest.
:lol:

It's a minor detail, but I have been consistent, "The Sun is [currently] unusually quiet compared to other type G2 stars[with a known rotation period]. There are many stars out there, but how many stars are a quiet type G2 star with a Jupiter-like planet, but no super Earth [a mini Neptune] in the inner orbit?" Side note: you accused me of misunderstanding the other paper for saying "super earth" instead of mini Neptune.

Here's how you responded, " It suggests that our sun could also go through periods of variability similar to those of other solar-type stars."

I think you simply have some bias against me. You praised Marcus for using a bad analogy when you know damned well it was not a good analogy because we have no idea what the odds of life are. And the analogy used by Marcus completely missed the point I was trying to make.
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

By the way, Kipping said that other stars have solar flares thousands of times more powerful than the super flares of the Sun.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
But there is nothing inherently contradictory between the description of the sun as a "rather normal" member of a group and a description of it being in the bottom third of that group.
:lol: Seriously, we could have avoided like ten pages had you said that earlier.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:15 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:50 pm
:lol:

It's a minor detail, but I have been consistent, "The Sun is [currently] unusually quiet compared to other type G2 stars[with a known rotation period]. There are many stars out there, but how many stars are a quiet type G2 star with a Jupiter-like planet, but no super Earth [a mini Neptune] in the inner orbit?" Side note: you accused me of misunderstanding the other paper for saying "super earth" instead of mini Neptune.

Here's how you responded, " It suggests that our sun could also go through periods of variability similar to those of other solar-type stars."

I think you simply have some bias against me. You praised Marcus for using a bad analogy when you know damned well it was not a good analogy because we have no idea what the odds of life are.
You're getting worse and worse. My entire argument involving the paper was that you were misrepresenting what the paper said because you hadn't read it or understood it. What you deleted from your quote is clear evidence that I was correct. It's not a minor detail -- it's key evidence that supports my argument.

You asked the quoted question to Physics Guy, not to me. I didn't respond to it at all.

My response that you quote was in response to the quote you altered. In particular it refutes the part of your statement that you dishonestly omitted. The boldface sentence completely contradicts what the paper concludes, yet you cited the paper as if it supported what you said. The snippet you lifted is part of me explaining to you what the paper itself actually says. You cited the paper as concluding that was different from other sun-like stars. The paper absolutely did not conclude that.

Your claim of what I criticized you for with regard to the other paper is flat-ass wrong.

It's very clear now why you started a new thread based on nothing but out of context snippets without ever linking to the originals. You're being dishonest and you know it.
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:32 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
But there is nothing inherently contradictory between the description of the sun as a "rather normal" member of a group and a description of it being in the bottom third of that group.
:lol: Seriously, we could have avoided like ten pages had you said that earlier.
Seriously, we could have avoided the entire discussion had you understood this before you posted.
he/him