Res Ipsa vs Res Ipsa. Two people trapped in the same body

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
doubtingthomas
God

Re: Res Ipsa vs Res Ipsa. Two people trapped in the same body

Post by doubtingthomas »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:19 pm
Lol. Keep up.
Hey, Res Ipsa said, "It's very clear now why you started a new thread based on nothing but out of context snippets without ever linking to the originals. You're being dishonest and you know it."

Does that sound familiar? Who loves to ruin threads with out-of-context snippets? I think Res Ipsa was talking to you.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:48 pm
Marcus wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:19 pm
Lol. Keep up.
Hey, Res Ipsa said, "It's very clear now why you started a new thread based on nothing but out of context snippets without ever linking to the originals. You're being dishonest and you know it."

Does that sound familiar? Who loves to ruin threads with out-of-context snippets? I think Res Ipsa was talking to you.
Marcus's comment was not an out of context snippet. Apparently, you do not understand what Marcus was objecting to regarding altering quotes. Binger was altering quotes (more specifically, fabricating quotes) without clearly indicating that he had altered them. Marcus expressly stated that he had altered your quote. Yet another contradiction based solely on your own lack of understanding.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:44 pm

Seriously, we could have avoided the entire discussion had you understood this before you posted.
Or we could have avoided the entire discussion had you watch the video. It's clear your issue should be with Kipping, not me.

Here's more transcript
" but among those countless specks of light, stars which truly resemble the Sun, appear unusual. Combining the percentages covered in this video, we'd estimate that less than half a percent of stars can be considered sun-like"
Is the Sun Unusual?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAQKJ41eDTs
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:57 pm
Marcus's comment was not an out of context snippet.
I am talking about the many times Marcus loves to quote me out of context, she loves to ruin my threads by quoting me many times, without clarifying the context.
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:42 pm
What you deleted from your quote is clear evidence that I was correct. It's not a minor detail -- it's key evidence that supports my argument.
But it's the same thing that Kipping said, I didn't mention that before.
" but among those countless specks of light, stars which truly resemble the Sun, appear unusual. Combining the percentages covered in this video, we'd estimate that less than half a percent of stars can be considered sun-like"
Is the Sun Unusual?
https://youtu.be/TAQKJ41eDTs?t=1245
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

So, I'll be waiting for an apology.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:07 pm
So, I'll be waiting for an apology.
Don’t hold your breath. You cited the paper for the .5% figure and only now told us where it really came from. You keep proving my point.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:10 pm
Don’t hold your breath. You cited the paper for the .5% figure and only now told us where it really came from. You keep proving my point.
That's not true, it's the paper that Kipping cited, not me.

Let me refresh your memory
doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:02 am
I really recommend you watch this video,

References:

3. Only about five percent of stars are solar-like. To make things crazier, "The Sun is less active than other solar-like stars". That means only about 0.5% of stars are truly sun-like.
https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2020S ... R/abstract [one of the papers that Kipping analyzed and talked about in the video]
Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:36 pm
But the "mistakes" you've posited so far are based of your own misunderstandings of Kipping, Reinhold 2020, or me.

At least acknowledge that I am not misrepresenting Kipping. I am open to the possibility that Kipping "F" up, but it's not my fault. I simply try to listen to the experts.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:42 pm
Your claim of what I criticized you for with regard to the other paper is flat-ass wrong.
That was one of your criticisms, you said, "Again, you lifted a snippet without reading and understanding the paper. You even failed to read the definition of the term "super-Earth" as used in the paper."

I never claimed that super-Earth was a big Earth-like planet
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Morley wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:55 am

edit: Apologies, Thomas.
It's okay, but I don't think the experts are misreading the paper.