DELTA-8 Gummy Experience

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Vēritās
God

DELTA-8 Gummy Experience

Post by Vēritās »

So my wife and I thought about trying cannabis for the first time in our lives but we've never smoked anything before and have always been disgusted by the idea of smoking anything, so we decided to try these gummies that are legally sold with small amounts of THC. We found out about it by accident last year around thanksgiving when someone at a gathering gave one to my wife to help her sleep, without telling her what it actually was. My wife took it and then for the next hour or so couldn't stop laughing and then when we realized why, we kinda got pissed off at the lady who gave her a THC gummy without telling her what it was. My wife just assumed it was a melatonin gummy.

Anyway, we joked about it for a while and I'd tell her Mormon friends about the time my wife got "high" and she'd always tell me to shut up because she was embarrassed and what not. But then after a while we figured, hell, maybe trying these gummies is a better way to have the "experience" of pot without actually smoking it. So I went to a place that sold them and we decided we'd set aside one night to try it by ourselves while the kids were gone.

It took about 2 hours before any kind of feeling kicked in, but one thing I noticed is that whatever I was thinking, I'd forget about it seconds later. Like I would be watching TV and changing the channel not remember what it was I was just watching, or even thinking. I noticed this during my "experience" so I tried experimenting by writing down a word or a color and then walking off for three seconds before trying to remember what it was I wrote down. 10 times out of 10 I failed.

I didn't like it. It made my brain feel kinds weird, not in a good way, and I just remember my wife's reaction being quite different. She was sitting on the other side of the couch constantly laughing out loud while having a loud conversation in Portuguese with some imaginary person.

Every once a while she'd look directly at me and just start laughing because I just had a blank look on my face with no reaction during the entire "experience" and whenever I spoke it would be very slow one word remarks.

Is this what hype is about? Or is doing the "real thing" a different kind of experience? Because I really didn't enjoy it at all.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: DELTA-8 Gummy Experience

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

That’s interesting. We live near a Colorado dispensary and go there often because my wife enjoys thc (herb and vape). I have a similar reaction to thc as you do where I don’t really feel centered; I feel off and mildly uncomfortable. For my wife she feels relaxed, a little dopey, her mood is usually elevated slightly with a sort of easy going humor. I’m convinced it boils down to whatever body chemistry people have with regard to marijuana and whether or not it’s an enjoyable experience. So, with that said, when we smoke she’ll make herself a spliff cut with some herbs like moline or whatever, and I’ll have a cigar and coffee. It’s kind of nice because she seems pretty balanced out since she’s been partaking, and we have very pleasant times. We don’t drink any more, eat very clean, get regular exercise, so as far bad habits go I think we could do worse. I’m happy for her, and even with my smoking I’ve dialed it back to shorter cigars and less coffee throughout the day. I see the day coming where I’ll probably drop smoking altogether since it’s mainly just a habit that I find relaxing (I like the smell of cigar smoke).

I do think with your wife’s health issues it might be worth it if it gives her relief from any physical discomforts. I noticed with my wife, especially during pms, she seems much better positioned to handle the hormonal ups and downs, so that’s something you might suggest if it’s a thing. I suppose the only word of caution I could give people is if they either have a history of schizophrenia and/or related brain juice issues, that marijuana could key that up a bit. However, from what I understand, that’s statistically pretty low, especially for adults who have fully formed brains.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Back in the day of dirt roads and horse pulled rigs, we used to buy a nickel or dime bag off the street, the BF and I. Never liked it. Never got high off it and never got high off hash either. Beer was better.

FF to current times. Nearly everyone in my family has done pot from local dispensaries which, having visited one, I think are well regulated and product is safe. Some have used it post-op, some for mental health reasons, and some use it on a recreational basis. Smoke it. Eat it. Gummy it. Whatever. One person was legal growing it with the house plants. I've never heard any family member complain about their experiences. (Of course not. They're too flippin' high to complain.)

Ironically, none of the above are me or the Boy.

I was given gummies C'mas before last as a gift. One of my wiser family members knows I deal with bouts of post traumatic stress and anxiety for about 2 weeks after I have had my heart shocked. I still haven't tried it. It's apparently Bubba Fett, raspberry lemonade, has 500mgs CBD and 10mgs THC. Typed that out directly from the bottle for you. I've been told to bite off a tiny bit and go from there. Even got the ok from a cardiologist that I see once a year.

But here is the thing and mind you, this is only me speaking for myself and it has nothing to do with religion. It has to do with experience. Two years in Germany keeping up with German nationals drinking beer and intermittent rounds of Schnapps every week night after work. I know what it's like to feel like you are losing control and I know what it's like to drink yourself literally sick, and then drink all over again all in the same evening. Not proud of it. Didn't handle it well.

So. I haven't tried the gummies. Unless I go spinning through the roof entirely, I likely will not try the gummies. But they're there if I want them, doctor approved no less. I simply don't like feeling not-exactly-in-control. Except for propofol. I love propofol. And morphine. Because with those, it's not that you're not exactly in control, it's that you're not even in the game. You're gone entirely.

So Veritas I can identify with your experience and your conclusions. If you don't like it, don't do it. If you want to give another strain a go, then do it. You're not supposed to ingest the whole gummy the first time out. You do it in bits and work your way up to wherever you'd like to hang out. Same thing with edibles. So if you did ingest the whole gummy, maybe go back to square one and try again.

Just make sure the door is locked, gas burners aren't on, and the kids are elsewhere. We don't want to see your names in the paper so no burning the house down. ;)
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Veritas, what you described is similar to what I experience with edibles. For me it feels like time skips and I’m not sure whether what I’m remembering is accurate or something I imagined.

Also, there is a stage during which everything is hilarious for reasons appreciated only by me. I don’t burst out laughing, but I constantly feel like I’m on the verge of doing so. Part of the experience is thinking that no one else would understand the humor, so for a while it feels like the universe is filled hilarity just for me. It’s fun.

Of course, with the time skipping, I can never remember what it was that I found funny five minutes before.

The first time I smoked marijuana was in college when I was in a production of Hair. It was mildly hallucinatory, which I’ve never experienced with edibles. But the universe is funny part was definitely there. We went to Denny’s to get some food, and I was literally unable to order. Every time I tried to order, I would burst out laughing uncontrollably. Poor server. When I came down, I had no recollection of what had seemed so funny.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Xenophon
God

Post by Xenophon »

For what it is worth I've not been a big fan of the delta products I have tried. They just seem much harsher to me. I'm not certain if that is a byproduct of how they are made but the few times I tried them I was left feeling hungover, a problem I've never had with standard marijuana products. I also think gummies generally just hit way harder. Regardless of dosing amounts there nature seems to be in a more dramatic high.

I know the idea of smoking isn't for everyone but the one thing I like about it versus edibles is it easier to keep the high mellow. Take a small hit, sit on it for a while and see how you feel. Not where you want to be 30 minutes later? Just take another hit. I've never found the same kind of regulation via edibles.

You can also make your own "edibles" by infusing the thc into your choice of fat. I've had good experience using coconut oil but I know plenty of people that use butter as well. To keep them from getting out of control you just limit the amount of marijuana you add to it and then can take just a tiny amount at a time. This is the preferred method for most of the bulking bodybuilders I know. Hard to hit your calorie goals without a little extra support sometimes.

For time skipping I'd recommend a drug journal. You need a place to write your ideas and funniest things down. It was a practice I picked up with hallucinogens but I think it has value with thc consumption. Keeping in mind that if you get "too" high you likely won't be able to engage in much writing.

Also, sorry Res for not getting back to the other thread around this topic. Yes some states regulate max thc doses but not all and even the places I've been with caps I find the upper end is still way too high (pun intended) for a casual user. Most folks don't really know what a good dosage is for them in the first place so the jumping off point can be difficult. Couple that with often very delayed onset and it isn't surprising some folks get much higher than they intend. I don't have any experience with Washington though so your mileage may vary.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Thanks, Xeno.
he/him

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

When I was figuring out that thc wasn’t my bag I once took a 10mg cookie (really just a piece of cereal shaped like a tiny cookie), and then put a fairly large drop of concentrated oil (heh) on it. Down the hatch.

Good Lord. All I could do was lay on the couch like I was a throw pillow, close my eyes, and then ride it out. Not fun. No bueno. I essentially tripped balls for hours - not visual, but more like … my mind’s imagination was like a live action Magical Mystery Tour.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:48 pm
When I was figuring out that thc wasn’t my bag I once took a 10mg cookie (really just a piece of cereal shaped like a tiny cookie), and then put a fairly large drop of concentrated oil (heh) on it. Down the hatch.

Good Lord. All I could do was lay on the couch like I was a throw pillow, close my eyes, and then ride it out. Not fun. No bueno. I essentially tripped balls for hours - not visual, but more like … my mind’s imagination was like a live action Magical Mystery Tour.

- Doc
Yikes! You are a braver man than I.
he/him

Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Yeah I never understood the appeal. Yesterday I watched a clip of Joe Rogan talking to a celeb who said she had never done marijuana and he was like "Why not?? You should!!" She was like, "why?" And he said it made you feel very vulnerable (that's a good thing?). I think that pretty much nailed it for me. I couldn't keep my mind straight and the whole time I was cognizant of the fact that I was under the influence of a drug, but I was struggling to find the appeal, hoping something wonderful would kick in at any minute. But it never did. The next morning we both agreed it wasn't something we ever wanted to do again. For her part, she doesn't even remember behaving the way she did. Maybe it just affects women differently?
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Vēritās wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:09 pm
Yeah I never understood the appeal. Yesterday I watched a clip of Joe Rogan talking to a celeb who said she had never done marijuana and he was like "Why not?? You should!!" She was like, "why?" And he said it made you feel very vulnerable (that's a good thing?). I think that pretty much nailed it for me. I couldn't keep my mind straight and the whole time I was cognizant of the fact that I was under the influence of a drug, but I was struggling to find the appeal, hoping something wonderful would kick in at any minute. But it never did. The next morning we both agreed it wasn't something we ever wanted to do again. For her part, she doesn't even remember behaving the way she did. Maybe it just affects women differently?
I don't know about men v. women, but based on how others have described their experiences over the years, I think it affects individuals differently and may have something to do with the user's mindset. I've tried at most a couple of packs of edibles over time. The most enjoyable "trips" were listening to music while high.
he/him