NFL Playoffs 2023

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gunnar
God

Re: NFL Playoffs 2023

Post by Gunnar »

Marcus wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:16 pm
Competition is competition, sure. But their mom won’t be throwing a “victory party” for one of her son’s teams, that’s incredibly insensitive. You have a pretty negative outlook on families.
Both of her sons made it to the Superbowl. That is something worth celebrating, regardless of which of their teams won. I don't think it would be necessarily insensitive of her to celebrate that with both of her sons present. Nor do I think that even the son on the losing team would be necessarily offended by celebrating that, unless he is a somewhat oversensitive, entitled jerk with too little regard for both his mother and his own brother.
Last edited by Gunnar on Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Gunnar wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:39 am
Marcus wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:16 pm
Competition is competition, sure. But their mom won’t be throwing a “victory party” for one of her son’s teams, that’s incredibly insensitive. You have a pretty negative outlook on families.
Both of her sons made it to the Superbowl. That is something worth celebrating, regardless of which of their teams won. I don't think it would be necessarily insensitive of her to celebrate that with both of her sons present. Nor do I think that even the son on the losing team would be necessarily offended by celebrating that, unless he is a somewhat oversensitive, entitled jerk with little too little regard for both his mother and his own brother.
im with you all the way!!!!!! My previous post:
Marcus wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:14 pm
No way. That Mom has two sons, both with great jobs and both prominently featured in the top NFL game of the year. There will only be an abundance of pride and appreciation and love, for both…
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

It seems to me the flag at the end of the game is complained about purely from a fan's desire to see an exciting finish rather than the merits of the call itself. It was a textbook hold. If the ref sees it, he has to call it. He can't say to himself, "I don't want to call the penalty I just saw because I'm in the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl." That's insane. It wouldn't have been fair to KC because their receiver was cheated into not being open. It's the Eagle defense's fault, not the refs.

I understand why fans are upset about it; it felt as though the refs were taking the game out of Philadelphia's offense's hands, but their defense screwed up. The defense can't do that... especially in the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl!

And saying the ball was uncatchable (aside from being irrelevant to the penalty) doesn't account for Mahomes throwing the ball away because his receiver wasn't open... because his receiver was held at the beginning of the play after initially beating the defender.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Some Schmo wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:44 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:57 am
That's true about every game. Had the winner not "deserved" to win, it would've lost.
I take it you're not much of a sports fan.
Nope. I can't figure out how to care about the fortunes of a team I'm not actually on.
There have been plenty of games where the winner was undeserving and got lucky. The 2005 Pittsburgh Steelers come to mind.
Isn't exploiting good luck a part of the sport?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:20 am
Some Schmo wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:44 pm
I take it you're not much of a sports fan.
Nope. I can't figure out how to care about the fortunes of a team I'm not actually on.
Understood.
There have been plenty of games where the winner was undeserving and got lucky. The 2005 Pittsburgh Steelers come to mind.
Isn't exploiting good luck a part of the sport?
Sure, but relying on luck probably means you don't deserve to win.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Some Schmo wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:00 am
It seems to me the flag at the end of the game is complained about purely from a fan's desire to see an exciting finish rather than the merits of the call itself. It was a textbook hold. If the ref sees it, he has to call it. He can't say to himself, "I don't want to call the penalty I just saw because I'm in the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl." That's insane. It wouldn't have been fair to KC because their receiver was cheated into not being open. It's the Eagle defense's fault, not the refs.

I understand why fans are upset about it; it felt as though the refs were taking the game out of Philadelphia's offense's hands, but their defense screwed up. The defense can't do that... especially in the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl!

And saying the ball was uncatchable (aside from being irrelevant to the penalty) doesn't account for Mahomes throwing the ball away because his receiver wasn't open... because his receiver was held at the beginning of the play after initially beating the defender.
If they called holding every time it happens in a football game, nearly every play would be a holding penalty.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Brack
Deacon

Post by Brack »

Due to the NFL having added a 17th regular season game, the Chiefs and Eagles will play against each other again next football season at KC.