NFL Playoffs 2023

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Some Schmo
God

Re: NFL Playoffs 2023

Post by Some Schmo »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:35 am
Some Schmo wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:07 am
The four best teams in the league this season are still playing.
The teams still playing are automatically the best in the league by default.
I know what you're saying, but... not always.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Some Schmo wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:45 pm
Impossible. Those who win the most are, by literal definition, the best.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

Is there no possibility that a poorer team could beat a better team if it had enough luck?

Could the quality of a team fluctuate over time, or vary with circumstances? What if a team that is better most of the time, and therefore has to count as the better team if you ask the question without specifying a particular time, happens to be worse on one particular day and gets knocked out of the playoffs by a team that is worse most of the time?

What if team quality is not an absolute property of the team itself, but depends on the opponents, so that team A is better against team X than team B is, but team B is better against team Y than team A is? What if team A can totally demolish everyone else in the league except team Z, while team Z is in the middle of the pack among all teams except A. Team Z happens to have a complete lock on the one Achilles' heel of team A, so it's the one team in the league that can beat team A. Team Z struggles into the championship game with a lucky schedule in which all the teams that would have easily beaten team Z happen to be matched up with A and get flattened. In the end Z beats A for the championship. Does that really make team Z the best team in the league, when several other teams can easily beat it, while only one team can beat A?
I was a teenager before it was cool.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

‘The Lord Is My Rock’: 49ers Rookie QB Brock Purdy Makes Jesus His Identity

Rookie quarterback Brock Purdy of the 49ers has been open about his Christian faith and the identity he finds in Jesus.

Purdy saw himself thrust into the spotlight this past December after a series of injuries led him from a third-string position to taking on the Philadelphia Eagles in the NFC Championship this coming Sunday, putting the legacy team within striking distance of the Super Bowl. Purdy’s sudden rise to prominence has made him a candidate for the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year Award.

Since Purdy led the 49ers to victory against the Dallas Cowboys last week, fans and newcomer fans of his have been taking notice of his past expressions of faith, according to CBN, telling Sports Spectrum in 2021 that he puts his “identity in Jesus.” He also talked about how he reconciled his football life with his faith in God.

“It was just a great reminder of where my identity is, where it lies,” he told Sports Spectrum. “And it’s in Jesus. And I continue to lean on Him. Again, the next day I didn’t go out and throw for 500 yards and was this awesome quarterback, but it was just this peace that I had with Him knowing that, ‘Hey, no matter what, I’m going to face moving forward during college football, God and Jesus are going to be my identity. And whatever I face, I won’t be shaken from it.’ I’ve got a great foundation in Him.”

Purdy also lists himself as a “believer in Jesus” in his Instagram profile. One post from 2021 featured a photo of himself pointing up at the sky with the caption: “The Lord is my rock, and I will not be shaken. I love you boys and will go to war with y’all time and time again.”

Purdy also cited his Christian faith after his first win with the 49ers, telling reporters back in December that he puts his trust in the Lord.

“For me,” Purdy said, “I believe in the Lord, and I trust in Him. I just go out there, and I just play.”
If this doesn't sour Schmo's emotional ties to the 49ers then perhaps nothing will. Collin Kaepernick/Race Profiteer/Social Justice Warrior, Brock Purdy is not.

I will say that I was encouraged seeing the Bills drop their knees in unison with the opposing team and call upon God when Hamlin almost died on the field. Contrast this with the way Tebow was mocked for wearing his faith on his sleeve and I'm starting to see more hope for humanity. After years of seeing players kneeling or being forced to kneel for the wrong reasons, it was good to see men kneeling for the right reasons again. It often takes something tragic or nearly tragic to get people to turn back to God and have faith.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:33 am
Some Schmo wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:45 pm
Impossible. Those who win the most are, by literal definition, the best.
No, because what if one conference is much better on average than the other?

Last year for example, I think it was safe to say Buffalo was a better team than the 49ers, but the Niners were in the final four and Buffalo wasn't. You have to play within your conference to get to the Super Bowl, so some of the best teams can go down earlier than the Conference Championship game.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

Brack
Deacon

Post by Brack »

The Detroit Lions won more games than Tampa Bay, but Tampa Bay made the playoffs while the Detroit Lions didn't. They are in the same Conference but in different divisions. Tampa Bay was in a weak division this season.
Brack
Deacon

Post by Brack »

The Philadelphia Eagles are going to the Super Bowl.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Brack wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:54 pm
Yeah, I hope KC kicks the crap out of them, but I don't think they will.

Yesterday's game is second only to the Falcon's last Super Bowl as the worst playoff game I've ever seen. The officiating was damned awful, and the Niner injuries made the game irrelevant within the first quarter. The Niner defense tried to do too much to compensate for Purdy, and they made way too many mistakes. Such a disappointing finish to an otherwise great season.

I will say this: Shanahan needs to design plays to better protect his QBs. When four QBs go down in one season, that seems like a systemic problem to me.

Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Some Schmo wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:56 pm
Brack wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:54 pm
Yeah, I hope KC kicks the crap out of them, but I don't think they will.

Yesterday's game is second only to the Falcon's last Super Bowl as the worst playoff game I've ever seen. The officiating was damned awful, and the Niner injuries made the game irrelevant within the first quarter. The Niner defense tried to do too much to compensate for Purdy, and they made way too many mistakes. Such a disappointing finish to an otherwise great season.

I will say this: Shanahan needs to design plays to better protect his QBs. When four QBs go down in one season, that seems like a systemic problem to me.
In the KC game, same. When the entire offensive line leaves the field, defense sets up, then offense has to hustle back to replace them because an official screwed up, something is really wrong.

I heard the official announce “play clock and game clock will be reset… and both will start on my signal..” what? Sure enough, there was a mess as clock people did what he said, and shortly after he came back to say “play clock and game clock will be reset… and game clock will start on the snap…..”

It was a farrago of officiating. It was also 18 degrees, felt like 4, so maybe they can blame the brain freeze on that.
Last edited by Marcus on Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Some Schmo wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:56 pm

…I will say this: Shanahan needs to design plays to better protect his QBs. When four QBs go down in one season, that seems like a systemic problem to me.
Lol. I don’t follow that team, and when I asked about the QB, my SO said “he’s the 4th string out there, and he’s doing his level best to not be killed.”

I get his point now.