NFL Playoffs 2023

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Marcus
God

Re: NFL Playoffs 2023

Post by Marcus »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:34 pm
Marcus wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:14 pm
No way. That Mom has two sons, both with great jobs and both prominently featured in the top NFL game of the year. There will only be an abundance of pride and appreciation and love, for both.
Yes, on her part, of course. The brother on the losing team (not his mother) will be feeling rather sheepish at the victory party his mom throws.
Competition is competition, sure. But their mom won’t be throwing a “victory party” for one of her son’s teams, that’s incredibly insensitive. You have a pretty negative outlook on families.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

ajax18 wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:53 am
Some Schmo wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:49 pm
I like KC more than Philadelphia.

ETA: I should point out that my least hated team in the NFC East is Philadelphia, so if I had to cheer for someone in that division, it'd be them. But against KC, it's no contest who I'm going for.
Did it bother you that Andy Reid is an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints?
I guess I am not speaking for Some Schmo but for me I can't think of any reason it would bother me. I did not know that little tidbit. It is mildly interesting.
DaveIsHere
Teacher

Post by DaveIsHere »

Go Blues!
If a Giant's pronouns are "fee, fi, fi, and fum", does that mean short people's pronouns are "oompa, loompa, and doopity-doo"?
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:57 am
Gunnar wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:43 am
Both teams played very well and either one of them would have been a deserving winner had it won.
That's true about every game. Had the winner not "deserved" to win, it would've lost.
I take it you're not much of a sports fan. There have been plenty of games where the winner was undeserving and got lucky. The 2005 Pittsburgh Steelers come to mind.
But one brother would have been--nay, will be--very embarrassed at the victory party at Mom's house afterward.
Kelce has no reason to be embarrassed by the Eagles' performance in that game, nor does anyone else on the Eagles. KC was only slightly better. I've heard plenty of people opine today that Hurts played better than Mahomes, but the real difference in the game was the Eagles' admired pass rush being beaten by KC's offensive line. If anyone need be embarrassed (and I don't think they should) it would be the Eagle defense. Both Kelce brothers are offensive players, and both offenses played outstanding football.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Gunnar wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:43 am
Some Schmo wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:19 am

Pretty great game, too.
I was pleasantly surprised by how good a game it was. Both teams played very well and either one of them would have been a deserving winner had it won. I really had no particular preference for either team. I am merely disappointed that the Forty-niners were not in the game.
Completely agree. It looked like Philadelphia outplayed them much of the game, but KC's recent playoff experience and second-half prowess was the difference.

And on a side note, I already think Mahomes is a better QB than Tom Brady. Just thought I'd slip that in here. He's got Brady's 4th quarter calm and a ton more natural athleticism and talent.

One thing I will say, even though you all could assume I don't believe in mystical/supernatural karma, it did feel like justice somehow that Philadelphia got screwed on that 4th quarter holding call, given they were granted a free touchdown against the 49ers.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

huckelberry wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:34 pm
ajax18 wrote:
Did it bother you that Andy Reid is an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints?
I guess I am not speaking for Some Schmo but for me I can't think of any reason it would bother me. I did not know that little tidbit. It is mildly interesting.
I don't care either.

And this is a fantastic example of someone not getting my (and many other people's) objection to religion. I had no idea Reid was a Mormon, and don't care now that I've found out because I didn't know. I don't give a damn about people's religion if I don't hear about it. It's totally cool. People can (and will) believe whatever they want.

It's when some screwup wants to tell me about their religion or subject me to their religion's rules that it's time for me to tell them to “F” off with that nonsense, and I begin to criticize their thought processes.

I've said it a million times: the best religions are the ones I've never heard of. If people keep their religion to themselves, there's nothing to complain about.

ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

huckelberry wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:34 pm
ajax18 wrote:

It came up in the presuperbowl interviews because they asked him how he takes his coffee in the morning. I'm glad to see Andy winning again, especially after tragically losing his son.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

That holding call should have been a non-call. I agree with the color announcer. Let them play at that point and don't let the refs control the outcome. If it were more blatant, then yes, throw the flag. But the ball was uncatchable and the tug on the jersey was slight to say the least. I know the Philadelphia DB admitted it, still, I wanted to see if Philadelphia's QB could answer the sure field goal. He would have had about 1:30 left on the clock. Instead, I felt a little deflated at the end. I was hoping for a game at the end like the New England v. Seattle Superbowl where the New England DB had an interception on the goal line to get the victory.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Both teams played great football. I will admit that as a one-time resident of Philadelphia--when Reid was coaching the Eagles--I wanted the Eagles to win, and I think they very well may have were it not for a couple of bad calls by the refs. The second one, the jersey tug, was especially bad--ugh, both were pretty bad. That said, the KC offense was on fire, and the Eagles could not stop their passing game. So, it is not like KC was underserving of the victory.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:57 am
But one brother would have been--nay, will be--very embarrassed at the victory party at Mom's house afterward.
Perhaps so, but not necessarily. I got the impression from interviews of them and their mother together that the two brothers love each other and are both proud and supportive of each other's accomplishments. I wouldn't anticipate anything worse than a good natured ribbing between the two of them. I'm fairly certain that any rivalry between them is both friendly and benign.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.