Is anyone else's handwriting

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
honorentheos
God

Re: Is anyone else's handwriting

Post by honorentheos »

Vēritās wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:40 pm
Incidentally, I'm in an attorney's office at least three times a month watching clients sign papers. They complain about the same thing, but word on the legal street is that manual signing is soon to be a thing of the past as well, even at the closing table.
It's been years since I've manually signed a legal document. Everything we do has electronic signature in various forms. In fact, it may be the last time I sat at a desk and signed a pile of papers was when we refinanced our mortgage years ago now that I think about it.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:02 am
going to complete crap? I had to hand write out a thank you card, scrapped the first one on account of mistakes (!) and on the second one I needed to write the word information, ran out of space and trailed the tion down the side of the margin. :o Something I would have NEVER done in the past and am actually allowing that to go to the receiver because--I gave up.

I used to have the prettiest hand writing. Not bragging. I could hand letter anything and was actually asked to do so many times over the years. I once wrote a sealing announcement for an LDS co-worker who saw me writing in calligraphy using a fountain style calligraphy pen at work on breaks. I'm wondering if it's because my brain is going or that I type out everything on a keyboard so there is not much occasion to actually keep my penmanship intact?

I think I'm going downhill on a not-quite-yet-illegible toboggan.

Feeling embarrassed and down on myself,
:oops:
I feel this, not least of which is because I have less frequent but still meaningful need to write manually for my profession for various reasons. They include marking up other people's work, taking notes, sketching concepts for staff to draft up, etc. The quarantine caused a pause in the normal need to do so and I found, without the daily practice of doing, I have had to force myself to slow down and rebuild what came relatively easily beforehand. Professional lettering is a bit of a lost art I've noticed. Most new kids coming out of college can't letter to save their lives where it used to be used by top tier firms in my industry to judge talent. Oh well. Change, what can you do?
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

honorentheos wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:18 pm
Oh well. Change, what can you do?
Get busy!

We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

Try a thicker and/or heavier pen. The thicker pen really helped my mother who had essential tremor.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

msnobody wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:04 am
Try a thicker and/or heavier pen. The thicker pen really helped my mother who had essential tremor.
Yep! The first writing/drawing tools we give to young children are chunky markers and paint brushes with chunky handles. Chunky is definitely the place to start when building or re-building fine motor skills.

A little play dough doesn't hurt either. ;)
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

Cursive handwriting has been off school curricula in Ontario, Canada since 2006. It seems to be falling into disuse, quite officially, in more and more places now. Perhaps one day it will be reconstructed like hieroglyphics.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Here is a situation. I need to write a thank you card. :)

I'm giving myself until COB tomorrow ;-) to practice my penmanship before I write the card. Sadly, my first attempts have been actual crap on paper. :(

Thank you technology!
:evil:

Slava Ukraini!
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

I stopped writing cursive after high school. I never really liked doing it. I've been writing in all caps for over 30 years now (since before it was the written form of yelling).

But to your point, Jersey Girl, even that is becoming challenging since we rarely have to do it anymore.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Some Schmo wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:25 pm
I stopped writing cursive after high school. I never really liked doing it. I've been writing in all caps for over 30 years now (since before it was the written form of yelling).

But to your point, Jersey Girl, even that is becoming challenging since we rarely have to do it anymore.
I am so horribly embarrassed by my first drafts of the note. I might as well put the card outside and let the cat walk over it with muddy paws.

I may have to resort to a hybrid of print and cursive to get this done. I have 6 cards so 6 chances to get it done right. How pathetic am I? I would tell anyone else that it's the thought and the follow through that counts yet here I am raking my own self over the coals. I press on!

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Slava Ukraini!