So we shot something down again

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: So we shot something down again

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

ajax18 wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:45 pm
BIden looks week for allowing the spy balloon to travel across the country. So now his handlers are shooting down random space junk.
Ja! Ve must attacken die balloons vith die Luftwaffe!

Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Themis
Elder

Post by Themis »

ajax18 wrote:
BIden looks week for allowing the spy balloon to travel across the country. So now his handlers are shooting down random space junk.
While these other objects may not be Chinese or have anything nefarious about them, the real problem here is not what Biden is doing. It's people who consistently always attacking one side on everything and always defending their side on everything. They have no interest in understanding the truth, and you are one of the worst I have seen.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Themis wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:55 pm
ajax18 wrote:
While these other objects may not be Chinese or have anything nefarious about them, the real problem here is not what Biden is doing. It's people who consistently always attacking one side on everything and always defending their side on everything. They have no interest in understanding the truth, and you are one of the worst I have seen.
I wouldn't say Ajax18 is the worst I've seen. This team first, wanna be political pundit apologist, merely repeating what is seen/read in the mainstream media, is rampant on the internet.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

ajax18 wrote:
You're bringing me down, buddy. Try a bit of whimsy for once. What if the objects are someone's high school science projects and they get a failing grade?

Did you know you can pump air into a balloon with a bicycle tire pump under a heavy chair and it will successfully lift the chair?

I'm not joking over here.

We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

And all that lifting is done by tiny little air molecules slam-dancing into things. Crazy.

You think your life is hectic, try being an air molecule. Nothing but Bam! Bam! Bam! slamming into something all the time—like every couple of picoseconds—at around Mach 1. Do they ever let you rest? They do not! That’s your life as an air molecule for billions of years.

But molecule minds must be pretty limited. Probably we should think of the molecules as perpetually manic little kids going Whee! and Yeah! all the time, never losing the thrill.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Xenophon
God

Post by Xenophon »

Logical as any other speculation I've seen so far: https://aviationweek.com/defense-space/ ... -down-usaf

I know this is a pretty common theme in all conflicts but it sure is painful to think about using a $200 million aircraft to deliver a $400,000+ missile into a $12 hobby ballon...
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Biden Administration Spent over $1.6M Shooting Down What May Be $12 Hobby Balloons

The Biden administration has spent more than $1,600,000 million shooting down what may be $12 balloons.

President Joe Biden on Thursday addressed the nation for the first time on the spate of shoot-downs of objects by the United States military over the past two weeks — four shoot-downs in total involving a Chinese spy balloon and three additional still-unknown objects.

Later Thursday, a report emerged that one of the unknown objects might have been a $12 balloon belonging to an Illinois-based hobbyist club.

“A small, globe-trotting balloon declared ‘missing in action’ by an Illinois-based hobbyist club on Feb. 15 has emerged as a candidate to explain one of the three mystery objects shot down by four heat-seeking missiles launched by U.S. Air Force fighters since Feb. 10,” Aviation Week reported.

The outlet said the club’s balloon — a “silver-coated, party-style, ‘pico balloon'” — was last seen on Feb. 10 at 38,910 feet off the west coast of Alaska. That was the same day Biden ordered an F-22 fighter jet to shoot down an object at around that altitude in that area.

In fact, the outlet reported, the descriptions of all of the three still-unidentified objects that were shot down after the Chinese spy balloon “match the shapes, altitudes and payloads of the small pico balloons, which can usually be purchased for $12-180 each, depending on the type.”

The military has acknowledged it used AIM-9X Sidewinder missiles to shoot down each object. Each missile costs around $400,000. One object required two missiles after the first one missed, bringing the total cost of shooting down the three objects to more than $1,600,000.

Those costs do not include operating labor and fuel costs for operating the F-22s, or other aircraft involved in the shoot-downs. Operating costs for F-22s are $85,325 an hour, according to Popular Mechanics.

The costs also do not include recovery operations, which have been ongoing for days in three different locations.

The Biden administration was mocked on social media for spending so much money to take down what are potentially hobby balloons.

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) tweeted: “To be fair, Biden is providing powerful deterrence for any high school science clubs that might try to invade America…”

And Donald Trump Jr. tweeted: “Biden shot down some kids’ science project with a $400K sidewinder missile! [By the way] Biden admitted in his speech today, while not acknowledging this situation directly, that the balloons they shot down were likely just being used for ‘research or recreation.'”

Former Michigan Rep. Peter Meijer (R-MI) mocked it as the “Great Balloon Panic of 2023.”

“RIP to the Northern Illinois Bottlecap Balloon Brigade’s ~$80 ham radio transmitter balloon, likely the victim of friendly fire by a $143,000,000 USAF F-22 firing a $485,000 AIM-9X Sidewinder missile during the Great Balloon Panic of 2023,” he tweeted.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2023 ... -balloons/
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

ajax18 wrote:
-_-

GOP > Biden isn’t doing anything!

*Biden does something*

GOP > No, not like that!

These fools think the President is out there micromanaging the DoD. damned fools.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

ajax18 wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:07 pm
Biden Administration Spent over $1.6M Shooting Down What May Be $12 Hobby Balloons
Box cutters are even cheaper, and look what happened the last time those were used with ill intent.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:26 pm
ajax18 wrote:
-_-

GOP > Biden isn’t doing anything!

*Biden does something*

GOP > No, not like that!

These fools think the the President is out there micromanaging the DoD. damned fools.

- Doc
No the president is focused on critical race theory indoctrination of enlisted men and making sure they use the proper pronouns, and besides he and Hunter probably owned stock in the Chinese spy balloon. There's no way they were going to shoot it down until some damn red state citizen noticed it overhead. It's bad enough that Hunter probably lost some annual Chinese communist company board salary money for the loss of the balloon even after the CCP had collected all the necessary information after going coast to coast across America. How's he going to pay for cocaine, hookers, and rehab now?

Just as secretary Pete is more concerned with too many white men on construction crews to have time to deal with train wrecks or incompetent pilots hired because of their gender and race rather than their ability to safely land a passenger jet airplane.
Last edited by ajax18 on Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.