The Last Of Us

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

The Last Of Us

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Is anyone watching the series "The Last of Us" on HBO?

I just watched episode 3 and I thought it was brilliant. Best episode I think I've ever seen. I almost don't want to watch the remaining episodes because I know they can't equal episode 3.

Critics are hailing episode three as a masterpiece and one of the best episodes ever:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/the-l ... r-AA16TNbu

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment ... r-AA171tOm

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a ... -EVER.html

https://www.dailyemerald.com/arts-cultu ... bd4f5.html
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
DaveIsHere
Teacher

Re: The Last Of Us

Post by DaveIsHere »

I played the games. Literally the only thing this show has going for it is Pedro Pascal.
If a Giant's pronouns are "fee, fi, fi, and fum", does that mean short people's pronouns are "oompa, loompa, and doopity-doo"?
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

It's a pretty good show. I think episode 3 was well acted and interesting, but I wouldn't put it in my top episodes of television I've ever watched. I can see how the representation in it could make it that for others.

I've seen other reviews of the series suggest it is the arrival of game adaptations into tv/film. And it's true video game adaptations generally translate poorly. But anyone who says that never watched Arcane on Netflix. I'd probably put every episode of Arcane above episode 3 of The Last of Us because it's that good as a series, in my opinion anyway. But yeah, I agree so far The Last of Us has been a good series.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

DaveIsHere wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:41 pm
I played the games. Literally the only thing this show has going for it is Pedro Pascal.
This reminds me of a conversation I had recently with a younger guy about movies and TV. The conversation had turned to Star Wars and what from the Disney era was worth watching. He was a fan of the TV series that are all out on Disney+, and I commented that until Andor I hadn't seen an episode I thought worth rewatching. In contrast, he didn't even finish the 1st episode of Andor and thought it was unwatchable. So.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

honorentheos wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:41 am
DaveIsHere wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:41 pm
This reminds me of a conversation I had recently with a younger guy about movies and TV. The conversation had turned to Star Wars and what from the Disney era was worth watching. He was a fan of the TV series that are all out on Disney+, and I commented that until Andor I hadn't seen an episode I thought worth rewatching. In contrast, he didn't even finish the 1st episode of Andor and thought it was unwatchable. So.
Andor was great. Can't wait for season 2. I have to agree with this review:
It's a show focused on the minutiae of the grind. We get to see apartment buildings, broken robots, disappointed mothers eating dinner with their adult children. We watch the impacts of bureaucracy in action, crappy little work meetings, office bitch sessions. We watch families bickering over breakfast, agonizing over guest lists and just generally partaking in the banalities of everyday existence. Strangely, it's fascinating.

But beyond those topline concepts, Andor is simply a show that is good in almost every aspect of its production. It looks great, it's well written. Not a single line of dialogue feels overwrought or clumsy. It's packed with a number of top-notch performances as well.
https://www.cnet.com/culture/entertainm ... s-of-2022/

I enjoyed Arcane, but my wife LOVED Arcane.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:20 am
honorentheos wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:41 am

Andor was great. Can't wait for season 2. I have to agree with this review:
It's a show focused on the minutiae of the grind. We get to see apartment buildings, broken robots, disappointed mothers eating dinner with their adult children. We watch the impacts of bureaucracy in action, crappy little work meetings, office bitch sessions. We watch families bickering over breakfast, agonizing over guest lists and just generally partaking in the banalities of everyday existence. Strangely, it's fascinating.

But beyond those topline concepts, Andor is simply a show that is good in almost every aspect of its production. It looks great, it's well written. Not a single line of dialogue feels overwrought or clumsy. It's packed with a number of top-notch performances as well.
https://www.cnet.com/culture/entertainm ... s-of-2022/
I'd agree with all of that, too. It's opening shot as Andor is walking to the brothel was my first cue that this was crafted, not made. And everything after that did not disappoint.
I enjoyed Arcane, but my wife LOVED Arcane.
Very fair. I suspect part of what made it hit so hard for me was I became emotionally engaged as a father in both of the female protagonists' stories. Damn if it didn't give me the feels. That elevated it for me in ways I suspect others might not find as engaging. But the craftsmanship is, in my opinion, universally aesthetically appreciable. I suspect too many people did what I did originally and dismissed it for being a game adaptation. I'm so glad I was pursuaded to give it a chance.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Andor is second to ESB. Pretty much better than the rest of the franchise aside from that exception.

Last of Us is good stuff.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:21 am
Andor is second to ESB. Pretty much better than the rest of the franchise aside from that exception.

Last of Us is good stuff.
My current ranking for Star Wars, highest at the top, is:

Andor
Rogue One
Empire Strikes Back
Select episodes of Clone Wars
Star Wars: A New Hope
Return of the Jedi
The Force Awakens

Everything else.

I love ESB and have fond memories of it from seeing it in theaters as a kid. But it is not as good as my nostalgia for it is. Rogue One is the only modern Star Wars movie that felt the same as my nostalgia for Star Wars. Andor...that's just great storytelling that happens to be in the Star Wars universe.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Your top three and mine are very close, honor.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:46 pm
Your top three and mine are very close, honor.
Same here! Although I’d put The Mandalorian up there.

Rogue One
ESB
The Mando
Star Wars
RotJ
Andor

While it seems Andor is waaaaay down the list, all these productions are separated by a few degrees.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.