Reverse Wokeism is worse

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gunnar
God

Re: Reverse Wokeism is worse

Post by Gunnar »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:10 am
I think the whole controversy is tedious. FOX is just about making money by getting as much eyes on the screen as possible. Same with the others.
Obviously true!
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Lowrance
Star A

Post by Lowrance »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:41 am
Some Schmo wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:04 pm
Frankly, I've come to the conclusion that not having children is by far the most rational choice. Wanting kids is all emotionally motivated and is usually not intellectually considered.
That's exactly why I never had kids.
Permit me to explain why I believe it is extremely selfish of you to make the decision not to have children: Since you have informed us that you are working for the government, we can safely assume that you are not the creator of anything. You get money from hardworking Americans who produce goods and services, and that money comes from them. Which is fine because we require people to work in public service, but you will spend your entire life not producing anything, and you will live comfortably despite not producing anything. Because the people in this country have not been selfish like you and because they have sacrificed time, energy, and money in raising the next generation, you will be taken care of very very comfortably when you are old because there is a generation of citizens who can handle the work load. You will have insurance, a retirement, and a comfortable lifestyle. When you are old someone will take care of you. You will have a comfortable lifestyle. You will have insurance. But because of self-centered people like you who choose not to have children, there won't be enough citizens to keep up with the demand of caring for the elderly in a few generations. That is the epitome of pure selfishness.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Gunnar wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:15 am
Some Schmo wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:04 pm
Frankly, I've come to the conclusion that not having children is by far the most rational choice. Wanting kids is all emotionally motivated and is usually not intellectually considered. I know it was for me.
I agree that some people due to their temperament and circumstances ought not to have children, and no one should be disparaged and condemned merely for choosing not to have children. For these people, not having children really is the more rational and responsible choice, and there are some people with kids who should never have had them and may even have good reason to be sorry they did. However, you have talked about your daughter before, so I know you have at least one child, whom you apparently love very much. Can you honestly say that you are sorry you had her? My own kids, though they have sometimes caused me a measure of grief and inconvenience, have mostly been a source of great joy and love. The same is true of my adorable grandchildren.
I'm not sorry we have a daughter, but I can't deny my life would have been easier without her. I don't see any reason to pretend otherwise. I've done a lot of things that were hard that I don't regret, but the reality is not doing them would have been easier.

Parents love to talk about how much joy their children bring and conveniently leave out the massive heartache that comes with it. If you love your kids, there will be heartache.

Also, the choice to not have kids is much more rational now than it was when I was considering it. The way this country has gone in the last 25 years with complete lunatics on the right makes the prospect of having kids a damned nightmare. It's too expensive, our education system sucks, a third of the country is idiotically craving an authoritarian system, most of the wealth redistribution is going to the richest people (watching my daughter struggle after she got an education is extremely depressing), and I'm not so sure humanity is going to make it past this century anyway, the way our environment has been trashed. It's ironic to me the people pushing kids are the same ones making having kids a dubious choice. The fact that the right wants every fetus born but has no interest in helping to support every fetus shows how stupid, short-sighted, and irrational Republicans are on child-rearing, like they are on most topics.
Last edited by Some Schmo on Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Lowrance wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:26 am
Dr. Shades wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:41 am

That's exactly why I never had kids.
Permit me to explain why I believe it is extremely selfish of you to make the decision not to have children: Since you have informed us that you are working for the government, we can safely assume that you are not the creator of anything. You get money from hardworking Americans who produce goods and services, and that money comes from them. Which is fine because we require people to work in public service, but you will spend your entire life not producing anything, and you will live comfortably despite not producing anything. Because the people in this country have not been selfish like you and because they have sacrificed time, energy, and money in raising the next generation, you will be taken care of very very comfortably when you are old because there is a generation of citizens who can handle the work load. You will have insurance, a retirement, and a comfortable lifestyle. When you are old someone will take care of you. You will have a comfortable lifestyle. You will have insurance. But because of self-centered people like you who choose not to have children, there won't be enough citizens to keep up with the demand of caring for the elderly in a few generations. That is the epitome of pure selfishness.
Do you believe prisoners should be left unguarded? “Producing” security is an essential aspect of a society that can then trade freely.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:10 am
I think the whole controversy is tedious. FOX is just about making money by getting as many eyes on the screen as possible. Same with the others.
I'd like to fully blame Fox, but most of the blame has to fall on its viewers. They're the ones seeking BS content and keeping Fox in business.

If one cares about the news, they aren't going to get it from a 24 hour cable news station. That's just crazy. And until we demand news as a public, non-profit service rather than corporate cash cows with stockholders and advertisers, we will always have this problem.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Permit me to explain why I believe it is extremely selfish of you to make the decision not to have children: Since you have informed us that you are working for the government, we can safely assume that you are not the creator of anything. You get money from hardworking Americans who produce goods and services, and that money comes from them.
I really hate this kind of narrow-minded BS.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Lowrance
Star A

Post by Lowrance »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:06 pm
Permit me to explain why I believe it is extremely selfish of you to make the decision not to have children: Since you have informed us that you are working for the government, we can safely assume that you are not the creator of anything. You get money from hardworking Americans who produce goods and services, and that money comes from them.
Probably due to the fact that you have never established your own company. Do you have a job with the government as well?
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Some Schmo wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:26 pm
I'd like to fully blame Fox, but most of the blame has to fall on its viewers. They're the ones seeking B.S. content and keeping Fox in business.

If one cares about the news, they aren't going to get it from a 24 hour cable news station. That's just crazy. And until we demand news as a public, non-profit service rather than corporate cash cows with stockholders and advertisers, we will always have this problem.
I am not concerned about blame at all. I am here to say caveat emptor. You can sit in front of a channel that will lie to you exactly as you prefer to think. Or you can switch your mind on and challenge your assumptions and comfort zone.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Lowrance wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:21 pm
Probably due to the fact that you have never established your own company. Do you have a job with the government as well?
I don’t give a flying f whether you started your own business or you work for someone else. Unless you are cruising to bankruptcy or unemployment, you’re probably working hard. Starting your own business is commendable, but it doesn’t make you morally superior.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Lowrance wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:21 pm
Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:06 pm
Does having your own company change the number of people who need your services?