Reverse Wokeism is worse

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Vēritās
God

Re: Reverse Wokeism is worse

Post by Vēritās »

Lowrance/Mike is just repeating an idiotic Right Wing talking point about how government creates nothing. Obviously that isn't true. Think of the internet, satellite GPS, dozens of medical cures that were created thanks to funding at public institutions, etc. The real myth is that anyone who works in the private industry is automatically a "creator" and if they make a billion, then they were "self made."
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Had the government been allowed to “create nothing” and regulate Norfolk Southern by implementing Obama’s requirement for electronically controlled pneumatic brakes, a giant chemical cloud wouldn’t have happened. First responders would’ve been funded by the government that “doesn’t create anything” to have the proper training and equipment to deal with the derailment, but instead the idiots made it worse because they were ignorant. Notice Norfolk Southern certainly wasn’t going to professionalize their workforce, and in fact has been gutting it to make their executives more money.

But Mike trusts corporations implicitly. Idiot.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

I think there must be a lot of US government employees who would be angry at being told that they perform no valuable service in return for their tax-dollar salaries.

For example, the government employees in the United States Marine Corps. To them a company is a unit between platoon and battalion in size. So they'd be pretty offended, I think.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Lowrance wrote:Permit me to explain why I believe it is extremely selfish of you to make the decision not to have children: Since you have informed us that you are working for the government, we can safely assume that you are not the creator of anything...because we require people to work in public service, but you will spend your entire life not producing anything,
You must be a student at Prager U. need people in public service but public servants don't create anything?
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Stephen Colbert Spots ‘New Dumb Thing’ That Has Fox News Freaking Out

Legos is making figures who are suffering from anxiety and other disabilities and FOX is upset about that.

Seriously, why is this news? Is it harmful to your child in some way that he or she be exposed to a damned toy of a disabled person?
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Vēritās wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:43 pm
Stephen Colbert Spots ‘New Dumb Thing’ That Has Fox News Freaking Out

Legos is making figures who are suffering from anxiety and other disabilities and FOX is upset about that.

Seriously, why is this news? Is it harmful to your child in some way that he or she be exposed to a damned toy of a disabled person?
We saw this the other day while picking up a Lego set for one of the kid’s friend’s birthday party. One character did not have a hand. It actually prompted a little discussion about disabilities. The kids thought that having someone with a disability in the mix was a nice idea. It’s not as if they haven’t seen disabled folks in real life, after all.

Strange how youngsters can appreciate the consideration and humanity of this, but the good folks at Fox can only manage to try to use it to monetize rage.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Lowrence wrote:Probably due to the fact that you have never established your own company.
I can admit that liberals getting together can be self-congratulating and annoying, however, nobody plays second fiddle to the right-wing small business owner when it comes to patting ones-self on the back.

Have you ever driven through Barstow Nevada? Plenty of business owners to be seen. Not sure that's the vista that comes to mind when day dreaming about the greatness of America.

I've known my share of small business owners, and I will make a distinction between small business owners and entrepreneurs. Entrepreneurs are on another plane of existence, for both good and bad. Not many small business owners are entrepreneurs -- at least they aren't for long.

Small business owners are quite often people who are difficult, don't get along with others well, can't take criticism, can't follow instructions, and march to the beat of their own drum. They can't handle working a regular job, and so in a way, they're forced to start their own business. Owning a business for these folks is a compromise. They get some flexibility from "BS" and answering to a boss, but they still have to learn much of the hard lessons they would at a job, it's just in a less abstract format that makes the lessons easier to follow. For instance, that thing the boss yelled at you about, well, maybe it mattered maybe it didn't. As a small business owner, when you face the underlying condition that prompted the yelling, you can decide how you've got to deal with it. When your own money is on the line, that angry customer might have a point. Seeing the connection between the unhappy customer and your own loss of revenue makes it easier to learn the lesson, should you be willing.

I grew up in rural America. I recall riding my bike into town with my friends occasionally to spend some of the money I made mowing lawns or from paper route. With the exception of McDonalds, I don't recall any chain stores, everything was locally owned. I had to psyche myself up to walk into some of these places. It's their store, you're in their store, and by golly, if you don't show some respect they can kick you right out of there! Buying a tape was a lot of pressure. Even worse was the movie theater, the owner would walk around during the movie with a flashlight and yell at kids for spilling popcorn or putting feet up etc, even though the theater was beat to hell. So when people talking about the big chains coming in and taking away from small businesses, I have to shrug; not always a bad thing.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

canpakes wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:11 pm
Strange how youngsters can appreciate the consideration and humanity of this, but the good folks at Fox can only manage to try to use it to monetize rage.
To your point, I thought this was great: The Economy of Anger
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

Gunnar wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:16 am
Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:10 am
I think the whole controversy is tedious. FOX is just about making money by getting as much eyes on the screen as possible. Same with the others.
Obviously true!
Actually this is only partially true. Fox definitely is very interested in making money, but the way they do it is by trying desperately to pander to fundamentalist Christians who are angry that most people think their beliefs are stupid.

These people were angry and hateful decades before Fox was even a glint in Rupert Murdoch's eye. He monetizes their anger, but he does not create it. Fox is not a normal TV news channel. It is a political entity.

This point is often difficult for somewhat conservative people to understand because they don't have a good awareness that the far-right in the US far more radical than they realize. Most moderate conservatives just ignore these people so they don't understand that they want to imprison gays and lesbians, outlaw Islam, criminalize atheism, destroy religious freedom, and shut down all public education.

These are not exaggerations. The American far-right actively has hated the country for more than 50 years as a "fallen" nation that must be destroyed and rebuilt for Christ:

https://flux.community/matthew-sheffiel ... des-making

If you were to compare the radicalism of Paul Gosar, the extremist Arizona Republican member of Congress, to someone on the left, it would have to be to someone who advocates violent communist revolution. And there are no such people serving in Congress, nor have there been ever. By contrast, there are dozens of Republicans with Gosar's extremist viewpoints.

Silly "woke" activists have no power in Democratic politics. The only people who pay attention to them are giant corporations who give most of their money to Republicans. Businesses do not care one whit about what "woke" people have to say, even if they pretend to. Even if they did, giant companies could not ever be called "communist" by any stretch of the imagination. The woke panic is just flim-flam cooked up by billionaires to manipulate dupes. Sadly, it works on many people who should know better.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I don’t agree that cable “news” networks are not about making money. Each is after its own audience.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow