Is this board going to allow Defamation?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Marcus
God

Re: Is this board going to allow Defamation?

Post by Marcus »

honorentheos wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:23 pm
Interesting take.

So DT posts problematically about attraction to underaged girls for years, posted about a relationship he had with a 17 year old undocumented Mexican girl, and threatens a poster with potential lawsuits because they have to repeatedly challenge his mysogynistic posts. So his response to having that called what it is (and it IS what I called it), he flipped out and then started multiple threads including one titled with the language quoted in Marcus' post above. So selective thread and post deletion occurred. But hey, let's pretend the threat is defamation and not the poster who regularly posts about how loneliness among folks like him increases the potential for violence (but he says it's not about him, he is just posting for a friend...)

Checks out.
I removed my quote of what he said after a mod apparently removed his whole thread. Which needed to be done, but it would have been helpful if a mod had openly acknowledged why the thread was removed. It clearly went too far. Hopefully the OP at least got a heads up in a PM.

The poster in question regularly makes a specious connection between loneliness and violence by implying, among other equally obnoxious reasons, that it is because women aren't made available to fix men's loneliness. The connection between misogynistic-incel-type behavior* and the potential for violence is actual and very worrisome, and it's one of the reasons I speak up. I hope people don't mind because yes it gets repetitive for me to keep telling him to stop talking about women as things, but the damage done by repetitive misogyny and sexism is real, cumulative, and has too much potential for leading to violence. Not everyone needs to say something, but someone does, and so I do.

*Here's some information on why i used the term 'misogynist incel' instead of just incel:
Mass violence connected to incel ideology has increased public and academic scrutiny of incel communities online. Although not all such communities support violence, and not all those who identify as incel will go on to commit violence, incel communities have drawn the public, academic, and policy world’s attention.

The Institute for Research on Male Supremacism recommends the term misogynist incel (which can be understood linguistically as similar to the construction of the term “racist skinhead”) to distinguish the male supremacist ideology and movement from personal identification with the term incel. A failure to distinguish people who identify as incels or “involuntarily celibate” (including women) from misogynist incels leads to flawed recommendations and significant misunderstandings of the nature of this community, the prevalence of misogyny in our societies, and violence against women. In this brief, we overview the formation and history of the incel community, focusing on the ideology of misogynist incels, and its basis in dehumanization of women and male entitlement, as it connects to the glorification and perpetration of violence.1
https://www.newamerica.org/political-re ... ve-summary
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:48 pm
The poster in question regularly makes a specious connection between loneliness and violence by implying, among other equally obnoxious reasons, that it is because women aren't made available to fix men's loneliness. The connection between misogynistic-incel-type behavior* and the potential for violence is actual and very worrisome, and it's one of the reasons I speak up. I hope people don't mind because yes it gets repetitive for me to keep telling him to stop talking about women as things, but the damage done by repetitive misogyny and sexism is real, cumulative, and has too much potential for leading to violence. Not everyone needs to say something, but someone does, and so I do.
I'm not certain this was directed at me (at least, partially) but I feel like maybe it was, so I'll respond.

I don't fault you at all for the way you talk to DT. You're the one to do it. I pretty much agree with everything you say to him, and couldn't say it better myself.

I think a lot of us here have been reading DT's crap for so long now, and have witnessed several people giving him sound advice, that we have come to the conclusion that he has no interest in working on himself. He's one of those unfortunate people who are incapable of taking responsibility for themselves. I mean, you have to wonder what his motivation for posting here is. Does he think people are going to read his nonsense and suddenly think, "Yes! We should let immature men who can't find a date hook up with our teenage daughters, lest our daughters be assaulted!"? The dude is delusional.

And I'm trying to be less negative on the internet, so I refrain from a lot of the kind of posting I used to do (although I know it still sneaks in sometimes). DT is the kind of guy (to me) not worth talking to any more. I don't fault anyone else who needs to call out his BS, though.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Some Schmo wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:05 pm
Marcus wrote:
I'm not certain this was directed at me (at least, partially) but I feel like maybe it was, so I'll respond.
not at all! I really do appreciate those who have specifically said they are glad I call him out, but just in case some others wonder why I engage him, I wanted to explain. I have always appreciated any time you jump in because you invariably add very realistic, very human, very common-sense oriented points to outweigh his outrageousness.
I don't fault you at all for the way you talk to DT. You're the one to do it. I pretty much agree with everything you say to him, and couldn't say it better myself.

I think a lot of us here have been reading DT's crap for so long now, and have witnessed several people giving him sound advice, that we have come to the conclusion that he has no interest in working on himself. He's one of those unfortunate people who are incapable of taking responsibility for themselves. I mean, you have to wonder what his motivation for posting here is. Does he think people are going to read his nonsense and suddenly think, "Yes! We should let immature men who can't find a date hook up with our teenage daughters, lest our daughters be assaulted!"? The dude is delusional.

And I'm trying to be less negative on the internet, so I refrain from a lot of the kind of posting I used to do (although I know it still sneaks in sometimes). DT is the kind of guy (to me) not worth talking to any more. I don't fault anyone else who needs to call out his BS, though.
Thank you. I understand exactly, and I appreciate you understanding my approach also.

i would like to point out that you, once again, hit the nail on the head with this:
Does he think people are going to read his nonsense and suddenly think, "Yes! We should let immature men who can't find a date hook up with our teenage daughters, lest our daughters be assaulted!"? The dude is delusional.
The research agrees wholeheartedly.
Recommendations for dealing with potential incel violence have suggested helping these men form intimate relationships with women, with the expectation that this will mitigate their “desire for dominance.”63

But without addressing the underlying misogynist beliefs, this endangers potential women partners.

...Shifting the sphere of potential violence from the public sphere to private is not a successful intervention.

From <https://www.newamerica.org/political-re ... mendations>
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:21 pm
Thank you. I understand exactly, and I appreciate you understanding my approach also.
Right back at you. I regard what you're doing as the tedious work of pointing out where his thinking goes wrong, just in case anyone watching is at all persuaded by his crap. It's important work.

And by the way, it's only tedious because he is a bottomless well of crap.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

honorentheos wrote:

So DT posts problematically about attraction to underaged girls for years,
Quote me, moron! I've made no such post, let alone for years, dumbass.
Dr Exiled wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:05 pm
I'm pretty sure unmasking would need to occur prior to a defamation being allowed to proceed. I haven't done the research on whether an avatar for an unknown person can be defamed, but, seems unlikely. Damages would be hard to prove to a fake persona and the actual identity would seem to need to be shown for presumed damages.
If would really have a really strong case if we knew each other in person. No one who knows me in person has ever accused me of such nonsense and my dating history has always been public.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Lord but I am sick of this situation being recycled and reworked over and over and over again. :roll:

DT in each and every situation I have done my level best to convey to you what I believe to be truth of what I see. I've approached you many times in the spirit of good will and friendship. If females are telling you that your words are offensive to them, then your words are offensive. We have no other reason to say so but that that is the truth.

When you continue to ignore and fail to consider the feedback you get here or refuse to self examine, you have no chance at all for growth much less a healthy relationship.

If you find yourself in a relationship with a woman and suspect/hope that it could be long term, just a heads up and I speak from experience here, it will require you to self examine and consider her perspective for the rest of your entire life unless you choose to bail because things got hard.

What I see here is you bailing when things get hard. You avoid self examination, you tell people what you think they want to hear in order to keep the peace (you've done that with me) and then you continue to repeat the same behaviors.

Stop it. Just flippin' stop it.

We welcomed you into this community and we will welcome you back but the shitstorm of criticism that you're getting here, so far as I am concerned, is well deserved on account of your patterns of behavior.

I wish you well in all things. I promise you that. But here you are not pulling your own weight in your dynamic relationships on this board.

I freaking hate this.
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

honorentheos wrote:
(but he says it's not about him, he is just posting for a friend...)

Checks out.
It's the experts who are saying that, moron! Not me. Loneliness is like poverty. The way you reduce violence is by reducing poverty and loneliness. I keep sharing the same links over and over again, but you guys ignore them.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/19/opinions ... index.html
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Marcus wrote:

The poster in question regularly makes a specious connection between loneliness and violence by implying, among other equally obnoxious reasons, that it is because women aren't made available to fix men's loneliness.

Doesn't have to be a woman.

The truth is that you and others will never accept the fact that reducing loneliness can help reduce violence.
It's not hard to understand that loneliness is like poverty, you reduce violence by reducing poverty and loneliness.

Read

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/19/opinions ... index.html
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:19 pm
If (sic) would really have a really strong case if we knew each other in person.
Genius.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Pathological.