Is this board going to allow Defamation?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
doubtingthomas
God

Is this board going to allow Defamation?

Post by doubtingthomas »

How can this board allow serious accusations that are false? It's my understanding that there are some limits to The First Amendment. For example, you can't yell fire at an airport if there's no fire.

I might have to look for another board.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Marcus
God

Re: Is this board going to allow Defamation?

Post by Marcus »

You mean like the defamation you posted about a poster here?
Last edited by Marcus on Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowrance
Star A

Post by Lowrance »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:37 am
How can this board allow serious accusations that are false? It's my understanding that there are some limits to The First Amendment. For example, you can't yell fire at an airport if there's no fire.

Are you troubled by the fact that Dr. Peterson is the target of numerous serious false allegations that are leveled against him on a daily basis here at DiscussMormonism.com? If so, this should give you pause. If that's the case, I share your opinion.

Came back to say this, just read the thread in spirit prison, think I understand what you're talking about now. Will you please explain?
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Lowrance wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:48 am
doubtingthomas wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:37 am

Are you troubled by the fact that Dr. Peterson is the target of numerous serious false allegations that are leveled against him on a daily basis here at DiscussMormonism.com? If so, this should give you pause. If that's the case, I share your opinion.

Came back to say this, just read the thread in spirit prison, think I understand what you're talking about now. Will you please explain?
What false allegations?

Also REVEAL YOURSELF DAEMON

Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Interesting take.

So DT posts problematically about attraction to underaged girls for years, posted about a relationship he had with a 17 year old undocumented Mexican girl, and threatens a poster with potential lawsuits because they have to repeatedly challenge his mysogynistic posts. So his response to having that called what it is (and it IS what I called it), he flipped out and then started multiple threads including one titled with the language quoted in Marcus' post above. So selective thread and post deletion occurred. But hey, let's pretend the threat is defamation and not the poster who regularly posts about how loneliness among folks like him increases the potential for violence (but he says it's not about him, he is just posting for a friend...)

Checks out.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

I'm pretty sure unmasking would need to occur prior to a defamation being allowed to proceed. I haven't done the research on whether an avatar for an unknown person can be defamed, but, seems unlikely. Damages would be hard to prove to a fake persona and the actual identity would seem to need to be shown for presumed damages.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:05 pm
I'm pretty sure unmasking would need to occur prior to a defamation being allowed to proceed. I haven't done the research on whether an avatar for an unknown person can be defamed, but, seems unlikely. Damages would be hard to prove to a fake persona and the actual identity would seem to need to be shown for presumed damages.
Would the award be in fake currency like 50 dragoons?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

In order for defamation to take place, doesn't some have to have a good reputation to ruin first?

Looks like you're missing a key component, dt.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:05 pm
In one of the deleted threads I pointed out to DT that he was welcome to pursue it as the outcome would be his in real life name and person now being associated with his statements on this board. Not being a personality on the Internet whose income or reputation is in fact involved is one layer. The other? He said what he said and it's all here to read. I'm sure his female Mormon friend would love to find out what he posted here along with what he didn't post due to Cam being able to convince him not to put her in real life information on the board.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Yeah, this is nonsense.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.