Woke Educayshun

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
canpakes
God

Re: Woke Educayshun

Post by canpakes »

Lowrance wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:01 pm
So, is anyone willing to watch the videos I presented and explain why …
No, because you aren’t even able to articulate your own position.

Back you go to watching videos on YouTube, so that you can be told by others what to think.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Ref the first video, I think my comment to Xanax on another thread is appropriate:
There you go creating some sort of fantasy larp in your mind and then responding to it.
Tribalists love to use absurd caricatures of the Other to paint them in the worst possible light, while painting the Good Guy (their guy) as reasonable and sane. Conservatives are especially adept at this because they can’t really hold a topical lengthy back and forth, as I’ve discovered over time. It’s just not in their wheelhouse.

It makes sense that Binger liked the video because it reinforced his notions about the political Other, was absurd in the most ham-fisted manner possible, and of course didn’t involve reading boring things like an essay or research paper.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Lowrance wrote:
… it is a form of mental slavery that completely infects the brain once accepted as a legitimate way to view the world in which we live. The foe of wokeness is liberty.
Unfortunately for you and your cohort, I’m still convinced that a more prominent and dangerous form of “mental slavery” witnessed today invokes the idea that books about seahorses must be banned, because they dare to include mention of the fact that the male seahorse carts around the babies. 😮

‘Liberty’ is not book banning.

Hugging Sea Horse Book Is Too Racy For Schools, Tennessee Moms Group Says

In a steamy passage in a book conservative moms want banned, sea horses "twist their tails together and twirl gently around."
Mary Papenfuss
Sep 25, 2021, 08:25 AM EDT

A children’s book with an illustration of hugging sea horses is too hot to handle for kids and should be banned from elementary schools in Williamson County, Tennessee, a chapter of the conservative group Moms for Liberty insists.

“Sea Horse: The Shyest Fish in the Sea” includes such steamy passages as: “They twist their tails together and twirl gently around, changing color until they match. ... The two of them dance until sunset and then she puts her eggs into his pouch.”

Moms for Liberty also wants public schools in the county, just outside of Nashville, to ditch a tale about Johnny Appleseed because it’s “dark,” and is opposed to a book about hurricanes because “first grade is too young to hear about possible devastating effects of hurricanes.” A book about Martin Luther King Jr. is too divisive, the moms complained in an 11-page letter earlier this year to the state’s Board of Education, Reuters reported. The head of the local chapter has no children in public schools.

“Some books should be removed entirely,” a representative of Moms for Liberty wrote in an email to the Daily Beast. “Some books are objectionable only because of how they are presented via the accompanying teacher’s manual. ... Some books would be better suited to a higher grade level due to their age inappropriate content.”

The sea horse book could be appropriate for eighth graders, she noted.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/sea-hors ... ff4b6dc0e5
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Lowrance wrote:
I was really hoping that when I logged on this morning, at least one of the wokies here would be willing to leave the woke plantation for a few minutes to accept my challenge and watch both videos to see how easy it is to foresee the complete insanity of the woke movement. But I guess not. I see the majority of the wokies here are going to play the old game where every new poster who disagrees with the woke narrative is either this poster or that poster, or maybe that poster is that poster, or maybe this poster is the other poster, or maybe this or maybe that, or maybe that or maybe this! Perhaps Ajax is Shades, Shades is Mike, Binger is Shades, daveishere is Shades, or this or that! There is a problem with this board, but I have not yet determined what it is. I'm close, but simultaneously feel so far away. But I'm confident I'll figure it out one day, and I promise to share my findings with everyone here.

Now returning to the topic at hand. Many of our youth and uneducated citizens are currently infected with a completely irrational woke narrative, as evidenced by the two videos I have presented. It has many names, including wokeness, progressivism, and Marxism, but it is a form of mental slavery that completely infects the brain once accepted as a legitimate way to view the world in which we live. The foe of wokeness is liberty. In actuality, wokeism is a cancer that devours freedom; wherever it is found, freedom is eradicated due to wokeism's insatiable appetite.

So, is anyone willing to watch the videos I presented and explain why the wokies in the second video were hunting down the woman who invited an African-American man to speak at her college? Or,will all the wokies here act like Mormons when they're presented with negative information about the church?
Neither of those videos came even close to accurately or honestly portraying what is really meant by "woke." Condemning or mocking others for being "woke" is very much like racist's use of the derogatory term "nigger lover" to mock others who don't share their hateful bigotry, but it sounds a bit less obviously bigoted.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Lowrance
Star A

Post by Lowrance »

Gunnar wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:44 am
Lowrance wrote:
I was really hoping that when I logged on this morning, at least one of the wokies here would be willing to leave the woke plantation for a few minutes to accept my challenge and watch both videos to see how easy it is to foresee the complete insanity of the woke movement. But I guess not. I see the majority of the wokies here are going to play the old game where every new poster who disagrees with the woke narrative is either this poster or that poster, or maybe that poster is that poster, or maybe this poster is the other poster, or maybe this or maybe that, or maybe that or maybe this! Perhaps Ajax is Shades, Shades is Mike, Binger is Shades, daveishere is Shades, or this or that! There is a problem with this board, but I have not yet determined what it is. I'm close, but simultaneously feel so far away. But I'm confident I'll figure it out one day, and I promise to share my findings with everyone here.

Now returning to the topic at hand. Many of our youth and uneducated citizens are currently infected with a completely irrational woke narrative, as evidenced by the two videos I have presented. It has many names, including wokeness, progressivism, and Marxism, but it is a form of mental slavery that completely infects the brain once accepted as a legitimate way to view the world in which we live. The foe of wokeness is liberty. In actuality, wokeism is a cancer that devours freedom; wherever it is found, freedom is eradicated due to wokeism's insatiable appetite.

So, is anyone willing to watch the videos I presented and explain why the wokies in the second video were hunting down the woman who invited an African-American man to speak at her college? Or,will all the wokies here act like Mormons when they're presented with negative information about the church?
Neither of those videos came even close to accurately or honestly portraying what is really meant by "woke." Condemning or mocking others for being "woke" is very much like racist's use of the derogatory term "nigger lover" to mock others who don't share their hateful bigotry, but it sounds a bit less obviously bigoted.
What do you think woke means?
Lowrance
Star A

Post by Lowrance »

Chap wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:06 pm
Lowrance wrote:
every new poster who disagrees with the woke narrative
I don't think there's even been a new poster of that type, in the last few weeks at least.
?
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Lowrance wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:28 am
1. The past tense of "wake."
2. Slang term meaning "awake", not physically awake but mentally awake in the sense of being "alert to injustice and discrimination in society, especially racism." In other words, pretty much the opposite of bigotry and intolerance and injustice.

To me, it also means or implies acceptance of the value of diversity, equality under the law, and respect for honestly held differences of opinion and for fellow citizens who don't happen to share my particular ethnic background, race or religious beliefs.

According to a guy from Australia named Hans Proebsting I found on the internet, when the term is used pejoratively by hard right conservatives, it really means "intelligent beyond my capability to understand." I am inclined to believe that is essentially the case when the term is used by them as a pejorative.

Actually it is somewhat hard to tell what MAGA conservatives really mean by the word when they use it pejoratively to denigrate Democrats and progressives: DeSantis Officials Finally Tell Us What “Woke” Means
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, chief warrior in the crusade against “wokeness,” has hurled the word at so many targets as to render it meaningless. Fortunately, some members of DeSantis’ office have opened up about what they consider the definition of the word “woke” to be—and said a lot about their politics, while they were at it.

The question of the meaning of the word came up during a Florida trial over the potential reinstatement of Democratic State Attorney Andrew Warren, whom DeSantis suspended after Warren signed a pledge not to prosecute abortion seekers or providers. DeSantis argued that Warren’s pledge signaled a failure to perform his duties. A judge is currently deliberating the case.

During the trial, attorneys for Warren asked DeSantis aides to define “woke.” Per Florida Politics:
Asked what “woke” means more generally, [Desantis’ General Counsel Ryan] Newman said “it would be the belief there are systemic injustices in American society and the need to address them.”

Newman added that DeSantis doesn’t believe there are systemic injustices in the U.S. He also emphasized he believed Warren’s “wokeism” led him to sign the pledge not to prosecute abortion crimes, the primary factor that led to his suspension.

It’s important to remember that Ron DeSantis can’t hide behind the excuse of ignorance or incompetence, as former President Trump often did. Surely, during his undergraduate coursework at Yale or his law studies at Harvard, DeSantis encountered some discussion of redlining, environmental racism, discriminatory policing, or any of the other injustices that might be described as “systemic.” DeSantis knows that these exist, but in denying them, he divorces his actions from historical context and gives himself cover to perform stunts like arresting (mostly Black) Floridians for registering to vote when they didn’t know they had been barred from doing so. If DeSantis says “woke” often and loud enough, he just might be able to distract voters from the retrograde nature of the policies he’s enacted.
Last edited by Gunnar on Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Lowrance wrote:
Something that you personally don’t like, but are either unwilling or unable to discuss the details of. : )
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

canpakes wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:24 pm
Lowrance wrote:
Something that you personally don’t like, but are either unwilling or unable to discuss the details of. : )
I agree but would like to add to the end of your statement: "for fear of inadvertently outing yourself as a hateful bigot."
Last edited by Gunnar on Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Canpakes wrote:Something that you personally don’t like, but are either unwilling or unable to discuss the details of. : )
That's as good of a definition as any.

Does Lowrance's enviable education extend beyond right-wing social media sources?

He also claims expertise on the topic of Marxism; maybe he'll start a thread to discuss Adorno or Walter Benjamin, or Giambattista Vico? I personally found Marxism to be one of the greatest head-scratchers I've ever encountered -- the absolute worst bang-for-the-buck a person can study. However, at the same time, from the little I know, I have difficulty comprehending how it has anything to do with his concerns, in fact, superficially, one could just as well use the Marxist rubric to cover semi-white nationalism and Donald Trump's populism.