What do "anti-woke" people want in schools? "Jesus Camp" shows in gruesome detail

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

What do "anti-woke" people want in schools? "Jesus Camp" shows in gruesome detail

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

There's an excellent documentary called "Jesus Camp" that shows what the library intimidation crowd actually wants from schooling. While they pretend to believe in "free speech," in reality, far-right Christians believe only they should have religious freedom. And they want public schools to bully and intimidate kids into believing in their ridiculous superstitions.

If you haven't ever seen "Jesus Camp," it's definitely worth seeing. There is no narrator, only the words of talk radio hosts and interview subjects. Totally free to watch on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG1o95oqkqI

I challenge our YouTube addicted right-wing posters to watch this and understand who they are allying with.
Vēritās
God

Re: What do "anti-woke" people want in schools? "Jesus Camp" shows in gruesome detail

Post by Vēritās »

How depressing. It raises an issue about whether parents should be allowed to brainwash their kids like this. Think of the couple who tortured 12 of their 13 children, starving and beating them, depriving them of sleep and sometimes shackling them to their beds with chains. They couldn't properly communicate with other human beings and the psychological trauma is probably never going to be over with these poor kids. This made news a few years ago after one of the children escaped and the big bad evil government came knocking on their doors and delivered the rest of the children away from their captors, er, I mean their "parents."

Think of all the child abuse that will go unnoticed because abused children are being home schooled and have no exposure, not only to other ideas, but to other people who can help them. Most child abuse (physical and sexual) cases today are identified and reported by school teachers.

Here is a pretty good debate that covers both sides. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KoRhC6wVsI&t=1534s
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
honorentheos
God

Re: What do "anti-woke" people want in schools? "Jesus Camp" shows in gruesome detail

Post by honorentheos »

What a trip. I first watched this on a DVD I rented from a Blockbuster. I recall EAllusion mentioning he was sent to similar camps when young and largely confirming his experience aligned with what was portrayed in the film.

At times I've thought being raised LDS before the internet could seem like a cross between Jesus Camp and The Devil's Playground, the documentary from around the same time about Amish youth experiencing Rummspringa. The magical cosmic conflict of Jesus Camp combined with the culture trap depicted in The Devil's Playground...
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Yes Mormonism has a lot in common with Jesus Camp, especially EFY and youth conferences. But at least the LDS don't tell children under the age of 8 that they're sinful.

But I was posting this to show what the people who constantly whine about "woke" want to actually implement. It's frightfully totalitarian.

Here's a compilation of many different "antiwoke" people showing their real agenda for kids:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=3FjY3_vjsn8
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:33 pm
Yes Mormonism has a lot in common with Jesus Camp, especially EFY and youth conferences. But at least the LDS don't tell children under the age of 8 that they're sinful.

But I was posting this to show what the people who constantly whine about "woke" want to actually implement. It's frightfully totalitarian.

Here's a compilation of many different "antiwoke" people showing their real agenda for kids:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=3FjY3_vjsn8
Fair, but I tend to think using the phrase, "anti-woke" is a mirror of those using the term "woke" to lump a large and varied set of views into something easier to dismiss by then only engaging the most obviously problematic elements in that set.

It's easier to dismiss or ignore the legitimate attempts to make visible the inequality and inherent bias baked in to our society if one instead focuses on narrow-minded attacks on freedom of expression. And it's easier to dismiss concerns about fragility and authoritarian instincts by focusing on the Christian crusaders scared of a future that isn't dominated by their current position of privilege.

The issue is a good one to discuss. I'm not particularly fond of the fighting fire with fire view that the behavior of one side excuses doing the same or escalating that approach by the other.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Hate Machine wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:35 pm
Yep yep yeppedy yep yep, far right Christian nuts be cray cray! When day start influencing our little peeps in school then I'll be right behind youz complainen thay need to be nocked down a notch or two. But rite now dat not be happenin. It's the far left crazy mo fos dat be influencen our chillens while day be in school.
Moderators, you seem asleep at the switch.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Moksha wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:40 pm
Hate Machine wrote:
Yep yep yeppedy yep yep, far right Christian nuts be cray cray! When day start influencing our little peeps in school then I'll be right behind youz complainen thay need to be nocked down a notch or two. But rite now dat not be happenin. It's the far left crazy mo fos dat be influencen our chillens while day be in school.
To be fair, there’s a certain entertainment value in watching folks go through the trouble of creating multiple logins and socks, so that they can then make posts proving that their arguments are still repetitively vapid and content-less.
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

canpakes wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:51 pm
Moksha wrote:

To be fair, there’s a certain entertainment value in watching folks go through the trouble of creating multiple logins and socks, so that they can then make posts proving that their arguments are still repetitively vapid and content-less.
I got over entertainment of that nature around 2003. And I suspect the majority of posters here don't find the braindead trolls to be of any value as well.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Moksha wrote:
Hate Machine wrote:
Did you report this post?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I remember when my dad told me that would-be parents ought to secure certification before they can have a child. That would be pretty Draconian, not to mention a severe curtailment of human rights, but some folks make it seem kinda tempting.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow