What do "anti-woke" people want in schools? "Jesus Camp" shows in gruesome detail

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
canpakes
God

Re: What do "anti-woke" people want in schools? "Jesus Camp" shows in gruesome detail

Post by canpakes »

Lowrance wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:52 pm
… it appears that I was wrong …
No worries. You’re welcome.
Gadianton
God

Re: What do "anti-woke" people want in schools? "Jesus Camp" shows in gruesome detail

Post by Gadianton »

Lowrance wrote:My best guess is that he got sick and tired of people thinking he was someone else and decided to stop posting altogether.
I'd say that's a fair guess. Mike is very sensitive, and some people on this board are ex-military and have lots of experience with guns and conflict and it can be intimidating.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Lowrance wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:52 pm
When it comes to posting videos, I was wondering if any of the other moderators would be willing to answer my question about the rules I need to follow. I had the impression that I understood what was required to be clarified, but it appears that I was wrong if one of the moderators is going to harass me about it. I don't mind being attacked by a poster who has a different opinion from mine, but I don't understand why a moderator would do that.
AtlanticMike had a habit of spamming the board with video links and nominally related one or two sentence explanations for why his boner was up that morning due to hillbillies wearing flags for aesthetics. Then he wouldn't engage in actual discussion. His posting was spam attempting to pass just under the threshold of the rules.

Post videos that serve to foster discussion and actually engage in discussion after posting them? You should be good. Post and run while hiding behind a nominal explanation with no intention to engage in discussion? Be like Mike.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Lowrance wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:26 pm
Could someone please explain the fixation on this Mike character that seems to have completely taken over the minds of those who post on this forum? Thanks.
I think Mike was originally booted off the Mormon D&D board for being a nuisance. He migrated over here where nuisance abatement was low. He began his infestation of constant trolling and generally being an irritant. Eventually, through asexual reproduction, he became Mike and Binger. As long as the need to be an irritant continues, he will keep dividing.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Lowrance
Star A

Post by Lowrance »

Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:41 pm
There's an excellent documentary called "Jesus Camp" that shows what the library intimidation crowd actually wants from schooling. While they pretend to believe in "free speech," in reality, far-right Christians believe only they should have religious freedom. And they want public schools to bully and intimidate kids into believing in their ridiculous superstitions.

If you haven't ever seen "Jesus Camp," it's definitely worth seeing. There is no narrator, only the words of talk radio hosts and interview subjects. Totally free to watch on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG1o95oqkqI

I challenge our YouTube addicted right-wing posters to watch this and understand who they are allying with.

I want to make sure I've got you right. Jesus camp is unacceptable, but you're completely fine with kids attending drag performances and giving the performers money or gifts? I agree with you that some Jesus camps are utterly insane, but how do you feel about men who dress as drag artists and engage in sexual acts in front of young children? The image at the top is from a Jesus camp, the image at the bottom is from a drag show where a child is handing a man dressed up as a woman a gift for performing a provocative dance.

Anyone willing to share their honest opinion, or are you afraid to do so out of fear that the other Wokies on the board may become enraged and tear you apart?
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Lowrance wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:34 am
I want to make sure I've got you right. Jesus camp is unacceptable, but you're completely fine with kids attending drag performances and giving the performers money or gifts?
I think the counterpart to Jesus Camp is a normal education. The drag performances are used as a red herring to obscure what is being said. The Hogwarts spell to cast this obfuscation is Sic-et-Nomium Pretzelonus.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Lowrance wrote:
Anyone willing to share their honest opinion, or are you afraid to do so out of fear that the other Wokies on the board may become enraged and tear you apart?
honorentheos wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:11 pm
Fair, but I tend to think using the phrase, "anti-woke" is a mirror of those using the term "woke" to lump a large and varied set of views into something easier to dismiss by then only engaging the most obviously problematic elements in that set.

It's easier to dismiss or ignore the legitimate attempts to make visible the inequality and inherent bias baked in to our society if one instead focuses on narrow-minded attacks on freedom of expression. And it's easier to dismiss concerns about fragility and authoritarian instincts by focusing on the Christian crusaders scared of a future that isn't dominated by their current position of privilege.

The issue is a good one to discuss. I'm not particularly fond of the fighting fire with fire view that the behavior of one side excuses doing the same or escalating that approach by the other.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Lowrance wrote:
I agree with you that some Jesus camps are utterly insane, but how do you feel about men who dress as drag artists and engage in sexual acts in front of young children?
I’m going to need a source for that one.
The image at the top is from a Jesus camp, the image at the bottom is from a drag show where a child is handing a man dressed up as a woman a gift for performing a provocative dance.
That’s degenerate, and probably why trans-exclusionary radical feminists exist. A man, dressing up as a funhouse woman, dancing provocatively in front of children, and taking money from them no less is immoral, unethical, and should be criminalized to a reasonable degree.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Lowrance wrote:
you're completely fine with kids attending drag performances and giving the performers money or gifts?
Well, on the one hand, you’re presenting a random image of someone’s kid somewhere giving something to a drag performer.

The alternative that you’re offering is one where people should instead give money to - and revere - a group of geriatrics that use dishonesty to protect financial gain, in support of a religion started by a man who married a 14-year old girl and who conjured ‘commandments’ allowing himself to shack up with multiple women, based on a fraudulent story that uses an image of someone with a raging boner as one of its most sacred ‘facsimilies’.

Interesting moral choice.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

If arrest/conviction records are any indication, my kid seems to be more likely to be molested by a pastor than a drag queen.