Board spam pollution

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Board spam pollution

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

I don't understand why people are allowed to continuously spam this board with irrelevant nonsense every single day. One person under numerous sock puppets posts spam of memes and links to disorganized YouTube rants. This person(s) does not discuss the topics they post, which is a complete violation of the "don't post and run" rule.

The Terrestrial forum is clogged up with things having nothing to do with Mormonism per se. It's board drama that should be in Telestial, in my opinion.

You can like or dislike people's podcasts but that stuff has nothing to do with Mormon doctrine or other LDS cultural things that are supposed to be the focus of Terrestrial, as far as I knew.
Kishkumen
God

Re: Board spam pollution

Post by Kishkumen »

Did you report this spam?
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
Lowrance
Star A

Post by Lowrance »

Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:35 am
I don't understand why people are allowed to continuously spam this board with irrelevant nonsense every single day. One person under numerous sock puppets posts spam of memes and links to disorganized YouTube rants. This person(s) does not discuss the topics they post, which is a complete violation of the "don't post and run" rule.

The Terrestrial forum is clogged up with things having nothing to do with Mormonism per se. It's board drama that should be in Telestial, in my opinion.

You can like or dislike people's podcasts but that stuff has nothing to do with Mormon doctrine or other LDS cultural things that are supposed to be the focus of Terrestrial, as far as I knew.
Am I mistaken in thinking that the focus of the terrestrial should be on what is happening in the Mormon and Ex-Mormon communities? Isn't Dehlin and RFM just as much a part of what's going on in the Mormon community as Daniel Peterson? Are you saying that while it's acceptable to criticize Peterson, RFM and Dehlin shouldn't receive the same treatment on this board? Because I never saw you bemoan the numerous Peterson posts that often clutter the terrestrial.

Why is it not worth talking about if, in my opinion, the anti-Mormon influencers are more detrimental to the community
th an beneficial?
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Alphus and Omegus wrote:

Unfortunately this is the kind of forum run by a "free speech warrior," with rules so lax and useless that it makes it all too easy for certain idiot trolls to thrive forever. Obviously the most reasonable and easiest solution would be permanent banning. But no. We all need to suffer through this forever so the board owner - who is affected by this the least since he shows up every blue moon to discuss nothing - can sleep at night.

I mean hell, even Twitter has a filtering process to weed out troll accounts.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Vēritās wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:53 am
Alphus and Omegus wrote:

Unfortunately this is the kind of forum run by a "free speech warrior," with rules so lax and useless that it makes it all too easy for certain idiot trolls to thrive forever. Obviously the most reasonable and easiest solution would be permanent banning. But no. We all need to suffer through this forever so the board owner - who is affected by this the least since he shows up every blue moon to discuss nothing - can sleep at night.

I mean hell, even Twitter has a filtering process to weed out troll accounts.
That is definitely a mistake from a legal standpoint. I think there's no doubt that a number of things that have been said about specific, named individuals by posters is arguably defamation. I wouldn't want to get anywhere close to legal exposure because of that.
Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:06 am
I have reported some of it, particularly a thread calling the ex-Mormon community "trash" but it was ignored.

These discussions are of no useful purpose. The people who read and post to this board are interested in Mormon theology and culture. Endless discussions about what this or that ex-Mormon person may have done are not germane to Discuss Mormonism.

Or if they are, they certainly have nothing to do with what the Terrestrial forum is supposed to be about. Some people like drama and gossip. That is what Telestial should be for in my opinion.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Thanks for sharing that, AaO! It is important to know.
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:04 pm
Kishkumen wrote:
I have reported some of it, particularly a thread calling the ex-Mormon community "trash" but it was ignored.

These discussions are of no useful purpose. The people who read and post to this board are interested in Mormon theology and culture. Endless discussions about what this or that ex-Mormon person may have done are not germane to Discuss Mormonism.

Or if they are, they certainly have nothing to do with what the Terrestrial forum is supposed to be about. Some people like drama and gossip. That is what Telestial should be for in my opinion.
That thread was a poster of some years making his last stand here. He did so in this forum as well. So what? Don't like it don't read it. If someone's having a meltdown, they're having a meltdown. People have meltdowns.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Alphus and Omegus wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:04 pm
Kishkumen wrote:

Dehlin is not just some random ex-Mormon. He is the figurehead of an organization that fits well within the topic of Mormon culture. And gossip is very much a part of Mormon culture.

In general, we try to respect a thread starter's choice of kingdom as long as it is in compliance with the rules for that kingdom. We try not to impose additional worthiness criteria that go beyond what the rules say. The people of this board are interested in the topics they choose to post about and read. We try to give them the latitude to read and post about what they are interested in.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:19 pm
Dehlin is not just some random ex-Mormon. He is the figurehead of an organization that fits well within the topic of Mormon culture. And gossip is very much a part of Mormon culture.
Should Mormon Discussions be a forum for a personal vendetta?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace