Board spam pollution

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Moksha
God

Re: Board spam pollution

Post by Moksha »

Moksha wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:44 am
Should Mormon Discussions be a forum for a personal vendetta?
So you see a difference between taking a position on the French Revolution and attacking Inspector Javert? What about going after DCP if he ran over my cat with his Humvee?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Moksha wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:19 pm
Dehlin is not just some random ex-Mormon. He is the figurehead of an organization that fits well within the topic of Mormon culture. And gossip is very much a part of Mormon culture.
The rules here give the users wide latitude in terms of the content of speech. Some choose to use that latitude for interpersonal conflict. The fact that the rules do not permit moderators to censor speech on the grounds of “personal vendetta” does not mean this is a forum for personal vendetta.

What the forum is a space where people can speak as long as they do so in accordance with a rule set with minimal restrictions on content.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:31 am
Moksha wrote:

The rules here give the users wide latitude in terms of the content of speech. Some choose to use that latitude for interpersonal conflict. The fact that the rules do not permit moderators to censor speech on the grounds of “personal vendetta” does not mean this is a forum for personal vendetta.

What the forum is a space where people can speak as long as they do so in accordance with a rule set with minimal restrictions on content.
What you're describing is a forum that can be almost anything anyone wants it to be, except for what the majority of the posters here seem to want it to be. Any troll can turn it into a troll farm. No problem there. Any prick can turn it into their happy place for personal vendettas. The rules are geared to mostly benefit the fringe types who would abuse that latitude afforded them and hurt those who have invested many years into this little community under the delusion that it would be something so much better.

The stability here or lack thereof, is always dictated by the whims of the fringe types who come here only to start trouble. And it is allowed. Because making those people happy is more important than pleasing those who have been here for nearly 20 years now.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Vēritās wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:15 pm
The stability here or lack thereof, is always dictated by the whims of the fringe types who come here only to start trouble. And it is allowed. Because making those people happy is more important than pleasing those who have been here for nearly 20 years now.
Yup.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Wallaby Lover
Nursery

Post by Wallaby Lover »

Vēritās wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:

What you're describing is a forum that can be almost anything anyone wants it to be, except for what the majority of the posters here seem to want it to be. Any troll can turn it into a troll farm. No problem there. Any prick can turn it into their happy place for personal vendettas. The rules are geared to mostly benefit the fringe types who would abuse that latitude afforded them and hurt those who have invested many years into this little community under the delusion that it would be something so much better.

Alphus and Omegus
Area Authority

Post by Alphus and Omegus »

Vēritās wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:

Indeed. By refusing to place some real governance structures in place, the community cannot protect itself and so it becomes subject, not to democratic consensus, but rather the demands of sociopathic driveby posters who want to cause chaos above all else.

Shades is demonstrating the paradox of tolerance described by Karl Popper. Any system which will not take ethical actions to protect itself will fall to dissolution.

Just as real life marketplaces must have many different regulations in order to exist, virtual marketplaces of ideas must as well. Without stronger rules against spam, this board will become nothing but spam.

I would strongly prefer that this not happen. But it will without better leadership.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Wallaby Lover wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:07 pm

Why are you crying now, Mike?
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

I've created a DCP thread in the telestial forum, I completely agree that he's not important enough to be discussed in terrestrial. Except perhaps when he does something especially stupid or noteworthy.
Lowrance
Star A

Post by Lowrance »

drumdude wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:55 am
I've created a DCP thread in the telestial forum, I completely agree that he's not important enough to be discussed in terrestrial. Except perhaps when he does something especially stupid or noteworthy.
All the evidence points to the wokies' belief that Daniel Peterson is one of the most significant individuals alive today. Why else would he have so many threads in the terrestrial forum devoted to him?
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Lowrance wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:52 am
drumdude wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:55 am
All the evidence points to the wokies' belief that Daniel Peterson is one of the most significant individuals alive today. Why else would he have so many threads in the terrestrial forum devoted to him?

It’s an important area for the forum to improve. I completely agree we need to focus less on him. I’m doing my part.