"Performative misogyny is still misogyny."

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Marcus
God

"Performative misogyny is still misogyny."

Post by Marcus »

Some excerpts:
How Shock-Value Misogyny Is Being Pushed as “Male Empowerment”

Misogyny gone viral, once again
For a while, openly misogynistic beliefs were confined mainly to the most obscure corners of the internet — incel forums and other manosphere-friendly places like Reddit.

But now, they’re virtually everywhere and rapidly accruing popularity.

...While I agree that most — if not all — of them seem to be doing it for attention and to sell their ‘coaching’ services, books and other merch, that doesn’t discredit the fact that what they say, joke or not, can have a serious, real-life impact. In particular, on the younger generations of men.

Performative misogyny is still misogyny.

And this particular brand of it clearly teaches men to be emotionally and physically abusive, controlling, self-serving, and distrust their female partners. It normalises cheating and treating women in an inferior, condescending way. And it also perpetuates a plethora of rape and purity culture myths that, in turn, contribute to already disturbingly high rates of sexual violence against women and girls.

No, feminism isn’t to blame — but it can help

I’m sure some people will defend all these male empowerment coaches and probably even blame women and feminism for their existence. Just like it was in the case of Andrew Tate.

Because it’s apparently all our fault that men feel so lonely, miserable and worthless these days that they would listen to anyone as long as they promise to sell them some ‘magic beans’ that will cure all that. Sigh.

There are many reasons why so many men today are single and feel discarded or totally forgotten.

A big part of it, though, has to do with shifting gender relations and changing domestic patterns, which according to sociologist Michael Kimmel leads men to develop ‘aggrieved entitlement’ — a state of anger and fear that they are losing their social status and privilege. Yup, they’re essentially upset that we’re living in a more equal world today.

But this aggrieved entitlement then can make men feel like there’s a ‘war on men’ and ‘war on masculinity’ and that women are conspiring against them and will likely one day kill them all.

And if you genuinely believe in it, or someone just told you all that and promised to help you reclaim your ‘lost’ masculinity and reassert masculine authority over others to prevent that from happening, why not go for it, right?

It doesn’t seem to matter that feminists have been repeating time and time that achieving gender equality is good for everyone. And that no one is trying to eradicate masculinity, but point out how some forms of it can be harmful.

(After all, the same men who scare other men into buying their ‘coaching’ are the ones who say you should never, ever, listen to women, so…)

So what can be done about it all? How do we stop this wave of online shock-value misogyny that too often translates into real-life behaviour?

A recent report published by the Global Boyhood Initiative suggests that the way to steer young men clear of this trap is to help them see the benefits of feminism and abandoning certain norms related to ‘traditional’ masculinity. It also found that destigmatising close friendships between boys — often discouraged by homophobic ideals of masculinity — can be equally helpful as it provides opportunities for boys to learn reciprocity, empathy and intimacy.

This issue of widespread misogyny should also be taken more seriously by social media platforms, which, although they claim they don’t support it, they rarely do much about it.

Most of the videos and posts that openly call for the subjugation of women are never taken down. The same goes for accounts that post them.

....And as long as that’s the case, and young boys and men aren’t taught how not to fall prey to all that content, viral misogyny will, unfortunately, continue to poison their minds.

https://medium.com/the-no%C3%B6sphere/h ... 0647b1fb11
Some Schmo
God

Re: "Performative misogyny is still misogyny."

Post by Some Schmo »

Marcus wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:04 am
Some excerpts:
A big part of it, though, has to do with shifting gender relations and changing domestic patterns, which according to sociologist Michael Kimmel leads men to develop ‘aggrieved entitlement’ — a state of anger and fear that they are losing their social status and privilege. Yup, they’re essentially upset that we’re living in a more equal world today.
This makes complete sense to me.

I think another part of it is the awful practice of giving kids participation trophies and parents mindlessly telling their kids how special they are. It's such a terrible idea to reward just showing up, or to reward mediocrity. These kids grow up thinking they're better than they are and deserve more than they do. So when you ask some young man complaining about not getting a date to up their game, be the kind of guy a woman wants, they whine and complain that women's standards are too high (and it's been my experience, women's standards generally aren't too high. I've often thought they were too low).

So yeah, I think you're got a bunch of twenty-something men running around like assholes wondering why they don't naturally attract women without effort. Reality is pissing them off, not women.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

The entire Article that Marcus excerpted is well worth reading.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:59 pm
Agreed.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:59 pm
From a blog known for anti-men hate.

You are of course, an extreme left feminist like Marcus. I remember the time when EAllusion called you out, I'll try to find it later.

Are you going to throw this thread to the trash?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Most of the videos and posts that openly call for the subjugation of women are never taken down. The same goes for accounts that post them.
I’m seeing a groundswell of Alt-Right conservatives calling for a repeal of the 19th Amendment. This falls in line with recent moves by the GOP to take control over female reproductivity, which arch-conservatives feel should be the domain of the familial patriach, whether it’s the father or husband.

Ultimately, these religio-fascists want to strip women of all rights and return voting power to either heads of households (since he’s responsible for his family) or property owners (not sure what that would look like in this 21st century political era). This is why online fascists are so keen to break up the Republic, they think they can set up their own ‘natural order of things’ state, whether it’s Deseret or a New Confederacy.

All their edge lord trolling has very serious roots in incredibly consequential outcomes for most people who don’t understand what their aims are.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:37 pm
All their edge lord trolling has very serious roots in incredibly consequential outcomes for most people who don’t understand what their aims are.

- Doc
Is the medium not an extreme feminist blog? Tell me.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:24 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:37 pm

- Doc
No.

It's social media platform that takes on an open blog hosting format, whose in-house contributors lean center-left, but where one can easily find pro-choice, stop the steal, and other conservative views with a very simple search.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:17 pm
doubtingthomas wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:24 pm
No.

It's social media platform that takes on an open blog hosting format, whose in-house contributors lean center-left, but where one can easily find pro-choice, stop the steal, and other conservative views with a very simple search.
If I understand the platform correctly, I can register for an account and contribute articles that I write. I'd guess there is some kind of editorial process in place.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:30 pm
Doctor Steuss wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:17 pm
No.

If I understand the platform correctly, I can register for an account and contribute articles that I write. I'd guess there is some kind of editorial process in place.
My wife had an account for a very brief time maybe about 8 years ago, so this information may be dated.

There's no editorial process to "publish" a story on your public page. It's basically like any other blog hosting platform. The goal (back then) was to have your story picked up and/or shared on a "publication" (there may be an editorial process for what "stories" end up getting shared on "publication" pages though, but that editorial process and/or decision making would be in the hands of whoever owned the "publication" more-so than Medium). Ultimately though, as long as what you are writing doesn't violate the TOS, you can "publish" just about whatever you want.

ETA: For fun, I just registered and published this rigorous piece of hard-hitting extremist feminist journalism on Medium.