Wild caught salmon Q&A

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Wild caught salmon Q&A

Post by Jersey Girl »

1. What kind do you buy?

2. Fresh or frozen? (Does it even come frozen?)

3. How do you cook it and what is the cooking time?

4. Do you put anything on it or just eat it plain?

5. What do you serve with it?

6. Does it have bones in it and and what do you do about it?

p.s. I don't care how much it costs if that helps to know.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Moksha
God

Re: Wild caught salmon Q&A

Post by Moksha »

Bears insist on wild-caught salmon and dispense with the sashimi slicing.

Gordon Ramsay cooking Salmon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR9wq5uN_q8

I really like salmon as part of nigiri sushi.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

I really like grilled salmon w a mango salsa. Here's the ingredient list for a typical salsa
Salmon

Salmon - This recipe calls for a large salmon fillet, which makes each serving extra juicy.
Onion Powder - Adds a depth of flavor to the sauce.
Soy Sauce - I prefer to use low-sodium soy sauce.
Maple Syrup - Pure maple syrup goes so well with salmon, giving it a warm caramelized flavor. You can also use honey.
Cornstarch - To thicken the sauce for the salmon.
Water - Used as the base of the sauce.

For the Mango Salsa

Mango - For best results, use a fresh, ripe mango and dice it yourself.
Red Bell Pepper - I like to use red bell peppers because they're so colorful. They tend to be sweeter than other colors too.
Red Onion - Red onions have a sweet tang to them, which compliments the sweet mango and bell pepper.
Jalapeño - For a fresh and spicy kick!
Garlic - For best results use a fresh garlic clove.
Cilantro - Use fresh cilantro for best results.
Lime Juice - Use fresh lime juice from ½ a lime for the best flavor.
Black Pepper and Kosher Salt - Enhances the sweet and spicy flavors.https://houseofnasheats.com/salmon-with-mango-salsa/
I use extra lime juice, lots of cilantro, and you have to search for perfectly ripe Golden Honey mangoes. I also add cumin, because it really brings out the flavor and I love it. In the summer I will add avocado and a mild chili powder also.

Out here, the little markets catering to Asian or Mexican groups are my best source for mangoes. It takes a little practice to get ripe, really tasty mangoes, kind of like picking avocadoes. Peeling them and getting the most out of them is the same!

(Speaking of mango, We have a sushi place around the corner here that puts a perfectly ripe and artistically cut half mango over California rolls with a sauce that is to die for. They only serve it when the mangoes are perfectly in season. Sorry jerseygirl! Don't mean to torture you. :D )

I like fresh salmon but for a frozen alternative, Costco has a really decent product at a very reasonable price, at least in my area.

Kirkland Signature Farmed Atlantic Salmon, 6 oz - 8 oz Center-Cut Portion, 3 lbs
Item 998970
(ETA, oops sorry the frozen is farmed, )
I can't get the link to work, but above is the description.

On a separate note, pickling red onion in lemon juice and then serving with cilantro, cumin, sea salt and cut cherry and golden or yellow tomatoes is a delicious side salad.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Salmon I have seen in stores is usually filleted ,no bone. You might find full pieces, both sides of the fish, and the backbone. It will have bones attached to the backbone. When cooked the meat should slide easily off the bones with a little care. I use a fork. Salmon like trout are easy to remove the bones from when cooked.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:24 pm
I really like grilled salmon w a mango salsa. Here's the ingredient list for a typical salsa
Salmon

Salmon - This recipe calls for a large salmon fillet, which makes each serving extra juicy.
Maple Syrup - Pure maple syrup goes so well with salmon, giving it a warm caramelized flavor. You can also use honey.

For the Mango Salsa

Red Bell Pepper - I like to use red bell peppers because they're so colorful. They tend to be sweeter than other colors too.
Red Onion - Red onions have a sweet tang to them, which compliments the sweet mango and bell pepper.
Black Pepper and Kosher Salt - Enhances the sweet and spicy flavors.https://houseofnasheats.com/salmon-with-mango-salsa/
I use extra lime juice, lots of cilantro, and you have to search for perfectly ripe Golden Honey mangoes. I also add cumin, because it really brings out the flavor and I love it. In the summer I will add avocado and a mild chili powder also.

Out here, the little markets catering to Asian or Mexican groups are my best source for mangoes. It takes a little practice to get ripe, really tasty mangoes, kind of like picking avocadoes. Peeling them and getting the most out of them is the same!

(Speaking of mango, We have a sushi place around the corner here that puts a perfectly ripe and artistically cut half mango over California rolls with a sauce that is to die for. They only serve it when the mangoes are perfectly in season. Sorry jerseygirl! Don't mean to torture you. :D )

I like fresh salmon but for a frozen alternative, Costco has a really decent product at a very reasonable price, at least in my area.

Kirkland Signature Farmed Atlantic Salmon, 6 oz - 8 oz Center-Cut Portion, 3 lbs
Item 998970

On a separate note, pickling red onion in lemon juice and then serving with cilantro, cumin, sea salt and cut cherry and golden or yellow tomatoes is a delicious side salad.
All of that sounds amazing.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:51 am
1. What kind do you buy?

2. Fresh or frozen? (Does it even come frozen?)

3. How do you cook it and what is the cooking time?

4. Do you put anything on it or just eat it plain?

5. What do you serve with it?

6. Does it have bones in it and and what do you do about it?

p.s. I don't care how much it costs if that helps to know.
1. Pacific, wild King or Sockeye.

2. Fresh, although the modern flash freezing techniques make frozen pretty close to the taste and texture of fresh. Best is buying at the dock, but I don’t think there are salmon fisheries in your state. :lol:

3. BBQ on cedar planks. Cool until the fish starts to flake apart. I think it’s 20-30 minutes, but I go by how it looks.

4. It doesn’t need anything. I apply melted butter and lemon juice during cooking to keep it moist. I often use a like salt and a little more pepper. Sockeye has more oil, so the natural flavor is stronger. King is more watery, and needs a little more spice.

5. More salmon! Well, often salad and corn on the cob.

6. There are some bones, but they can be easily handled by the person eating the salmon. When I buy a whole fish, I ask to have it butterfly filleted. That removes the spine and the larger bones connected to it.

Enjoy!!
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:43 am
Marcus wrote:

Item 998970

All of that sounds amazing.
thank you, it is! mango salsa in a variety of uses has become a summer standby for us. Add a little vinagrette, more chili powder and lime, plus avocado and mix with tri-color noodles and it's a delicious cold summer pasta salad. so many possibilities!
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

I do salmon and maple syrup just about every week, but in a crude and degenerate way. I just pour a lot of syrup on the salmon in the pan, plus quite a lot of some form of large-grained salt, until I'm basically making salmon with salty maple taffy. It's the only way to get my family to eat any fish. I might be overdoing the syrup but that's kind of the point with these people. And maple syrup fried until it goes gooey or even crunchy is a pretty good taffy. It does seem to go well with salmon, although if I'm honest, it's hard to tell, because in the proportions I use, it would go well with cardboard.

I normally add cumin and onion powder to practically everything, and the family seems to accept this to the point where our younger daughter is doing it, too, when she cooks, so now I'm keen to see what they do for maple salmon. If that goes well, maybe I'll be able to work up to the whole rest of the recipe without triggering a, "This isn't the salmon we like!" reaction.

Thanks, Marcus!
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Physics Guy wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:27 am
It's the only way to get my family to eat any fish.
What's wrong with them not eating fish?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Marcus wrote:
Salmon

For the Mango Salsa

Item 998970

I think I know whats for dinner.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.